Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

V8 Fan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AL_P

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
V8 Fan

So today I decided the belts on my V8 needed replacing after many days of putting it off.

I dutifully looked on the forum to see how to undo the dreaded viscous fan nut and after much confusion I thought I would share my experience.

I removed the engine cover and fan cover, not having a holding tool I stood looking at an open bonnet for about 30 minutes.

After reviewing the technical manual (and in contradiction to a couple of forum posts as it’s a V8) I decided to go with it being a non conventional thread, I describe it as such as it save confusion IMHO.

I ended up positioning half of my trolley jack handle against the chassis rail and against one of the pulley nut, thus preventing the rotation of the pulley and allowing me to get the 36mm spanner onto the nut and taking a FB hammer to it in an attempt to loosen it.

After many swear words and a few attempts with a chisel and said hammer I returned to my original plan and replaced the spanner and got angry with the nut.

All I can say is that I have to agree with many of the posts gone before mine and spanner on, big brave balls and give it the beans.

The nut came loose and I continued with the short but mundane job of replacing the belts.

In summary, as you stand at the front of the car looking into the engine bay, you need to prevent the pulley turning clockwise and then hit the nut/undo it clockwise.

Post #190022611th Jan 2018 7:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >