Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

My Altox FBH Controller Fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
My Altox FBH Controller Fitting

Fitting a FBH controller has been on my wish list since buying my D3 two years ago, a few weeks ago I spotted Bodsy's thread about the Altox W-Bus 5 GPS and decided I needed one! So I bought one (well the missus, aka santa did) and set about fitting it!

I'm a little OCD with fitting bits to my D3 and what takes some people twenty minutes takes me ten hours!!

I started by running a blue cable around my starter battery (in conduit which houses cables for my DRL's) to join onto the FBH itself. This cable then crosses the engine bay (inside a conduit which is used for my split charge system cables) and enters the cab through the convenient bung in the bulkhead.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I ran the cable around the battery box and drilled a small hole in the front so the cable could exit by the original FBH loom.

Click image to enlarge

I then removed the FBH electrical plug, cut the red cable coming off it, soldered the new blue cable to it, heatshrinked the joint then taped it to the existing loom with self amalgamating tape. With the cut end of the cable I pulled the sheating so no wires were exposed and taped it over.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I ran the cables behind the sound proofing in the drivers footwell and then cable tied them the the existing loom behind the plastic kick panel thing (next to the accelerator!!) I mounted the Altox unit inside the dash behind where the drivers right knee is.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I ran the positive and negative cables the same route into the engine bay and joined the negative to a ready made earth point inside the drivers wing and the positive through some existing conduit and on to my auxiliary battery. I decided to fit the fuse behind the dash instead of by the battery, not sure why though!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I decided I wanted to fit the button/led but as I hate things on show I put it in the upper glovebox next to my DRL switch. I ran the cables behind the dash and out into the passenger footwell where I cable tied them to an existing loom, then ran them behind the passenger cup holder tray and up to the side of the upper glovebox.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also wanted to fit the internal temperature sensor somewhere out of sight, so I decided on trying to fit it into where the factory sensor is. I pulled the panel to the left of the steering wheel off where the temperature sensor grill is and cut a small notch in the very back edge of it. I then sat the sensor inside the notch and held it in place with a cable tie.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I removed the H trim so I could get access to the wires in the back, ran them down the side of the steering wheel, underneath it and over to the same spot where the main Altox unit is mounted.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I joined the green wires from the led/button and the temp sensor together and on to the main unit. I joined the yellow cable from the led/button to main unit and then joined the two negative cables together, cable tied them to an existing loom and connected them to a spare earth point inside the wing in the drivers footwell.

Click image to enlarge

I inserted a 1amp fuse, my PAYG EE sim and followed the instructions in the booklet and I was good to go!

I had a few small teething problems in the first place but I think I had somehow messed the settings up, Bodsy soon put them right for me from his end all before 8am.

I'm really impressed with this unit and glad I decided on one with a sim card in as I can activate it from anywhere as opposed to needing to be near the vehicle.........for example, from the coffee shop half hour before returning to my D3 in the car park! Mr. Green

I'd like to say thank you to Bodsy for his patience with me and praise his after sales care, it's second to none!

Thumbs Up

Last edited by Iceman08 on 27th Sep 2017 7:17 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #175491828th Dec 2016 11:54 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the feedback, no problem with the assistance, all part of the service. Thumbs Up

That's a cracking job you've done there. Thumbs Up OCD and all. Laughing Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #175492129th Dec 2016 12:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iceman08

It pretty much took me ten hours with a few breaks!! Shocked

I found a slight glitch the other day while playing with the settings........if you set up a password via SMS the app will no longer connect to the SIM, I turned the password off via SMS and the app started working perfectly again!

I did email Altox to see if they were aware of this, they said they would pass the info on to their engineering department!

Post #175492429th Dec 2016 12:10 am
anglefire

England 

I'm sure you can activate the fbh via text with a password - you add it to the command string - but not sure about the app.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #175495329th Dec 2016 7:58 am
Iceman08

Yeah that all worked fine, but once you add a password you can no longer use the app to connect to it. I rather use the app so I turned the password back off.

Earned its keep today though Thumbs Up

Post #175497729th Dec 2016 9:30 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

nice job.

although when someone comes to do your rear belt, and remove the plastic around the battery they will be annoyed you drilled a hole for the blue wire rather than a slot

Post #175506829th Dec 2016 12:32 pm
Iceman08

I had no idea what was involved in doing the belts Embarassed

I could either cut a notch when necessary or snip the cable and join it after!

Thumbs Up

Post #175573430th Dec 2016 7:40 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Worry not, rear belt rarely if at all go, they're not timed and don't cause any issues other than fuel starvation, leave it alone Thumbs Up

Stew did his as "Preventative measure" snapped the bolt and ended up taking the body off the drill it out Big Cry

If you look at the existing guide on the Altox web, there's live and earth available in the loom to the lights master switch Thumbs Up

Presumably you've fitted the temp sensor as you plan on fitting a fan control unit?
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #175574130th Dec 2016 7:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fyfasan

Denmark 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I can only say, what a nice installation Bow down

Post #17570452nd Jan 2017 10:27 pm
Iceman08

Thank you Fyfasan Thumbs Up

Thats better news then Beanie, I'll definitely be skipping doing that preventative maintenance myself then!!

I liked the idea of wiring it in this way more as I didn't want to interfere too much with the existing cables, this way I only had to touch the existing fbh wire.

I fitted the temp sensor regardless as it was there but I do like the idea of the fan control and might consider it when it's released! I would also love to get the heaters and fbh running off my aux battery, that might be a proper mission and involve messing with lots of existing cables though Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Iceman08 on 3rd Jan 2017 8:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #17574143rd Jan 2017 7:53 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

beanie wrote:
Worry not, rear belt rarely if at all go, they're not timed and don't cause any issues other than fuel starvation...

...and it is amazing just how quickly an auto D3 comes to a halt in the fast lane of a motorway when the engine quits.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #17574233rd Jan 2017 8:08 pm
Pete K

And where is the man from Scotland to tell us it can slice through the wiring loom when it lets go.

Best to change the rear belt once in the cars life time. (or when body off)

Post #17574303rd Jan 2017 8:16 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

Really Robbie Rolling Eyes I've had two LPFP's fail in my D3, one on the M56 passing the airport in lane 3, oddly I managed to get over to the shoulder and off down the slip road without incident, can't imagine fuel starvation from a failed belt powering the HPFP is much different.

I assume you have experience that's different though Thumbs Up

Anyway, so as not to distract from a nice tidy install, back to the topic in hand Mr. Green

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Post #17574463rd Jan 2017 8:39 pm
Pete K

I guess if the crank snaps it a bit more of an abrupt stop.

Post #17574563rd Jan 2017 8:47 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

I'd think so as the lump seizes from what I hear, no fuel means a loss of power steering and assisted brakes, but it still coasts , well mine did Thumbs Up

PM me for details

Post #17574593rd Jan 2017 8:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >