Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Increased road noise on D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
simonej

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Increased road noise on D4

Hi all, early in the summer I changed my 2009 D3 for a 2015 D4 HSE Lux. I can't remember noticing when I first bought it but recently I've started noticing the car has a very distinct rumbling noise like you would associate with rough road surfaces. I'm 99% sure this was never the case with my old D3 and I always found the Discovery to be super smooth and quiet.

The noise itself if hard to describe. If you imagine when you drive from a smooth tarmac surface to a rough concrete surface you get a rumbling noise, sometimes accompanied by what feels like buffeting in your ears when you have a window open - it's like that but a little more subtle. When on a super smooth road the car is silent but on normal tarmac it makes the noise described above, almost like it's super sensitive to the road surface. I had a Discovery Sport as a loan car recently and it was noticeably quieter, like I think my D3 was.

The noise occurs at speeds up to about 45mph, at which point I think normal road noise rises to the point that it drowns it out. It is evident in Drive, Sport and Neutral so I don't think it's gearbox related. It is unrelated to turning or going in a straight line so I can't see it being bearing related. Tyre pressures are all correct and the car is properly serviced. 20k miles on the clock and maybe worth mentioning that it has the 20" diamond cut alloys.

It's obviously under manufacturers warranty but I think I'm going to be told it's normal if I give it to them to look at. I'll just get fobbed off. So I was wondering if anyone had experienced similar or whether it's just something you get with the 20" wheels. D3 had 19" and did feel more compliant on the bumps, is it possible that the suspension is firmer than it should be? The only thing I can compare it to in the past was when I changed a gearbox mount to a 'Poly' mount which resulted in more vibration and less shock absorption- if that makes sense?

Post #17450966th Dec 2016 10:00 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

How worn are the tyres?
Evenly worn?

Post #17451006th Dec 2016 10:12 pm
simonej

Rears are good, probably 5-6mm but the front are probably 3mm on the left and 4-5mm on the right. The inner edge of the front left seems to be wearing faster than the middle and outside edge, i.e. unevenly!

I assumed that a tyre issue would be evident on all surfaces so even on perfectly smooth tarmac (where it's still silent) you'd still get the rumble?

Post #17451016th Dec 2016 10:17 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

I just remember my D3 making a noise like a Chinook when the tyres were worn

Post #17451266th Dec 2016 11:03 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Wranglers get noisy when worn. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #17451857th Dec 2016 1:17 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Mine was on Scorpion Zeros.
D4 gets noisier (as in now - due for all 4 being replaced in Jan), but not as bad as the D3 - especially at moderate motorway speeds

Post #17452127th Dec 2016 8:42 am
simonej

Thanks guys. I think it's going to be a case of new tyres and a full alignment and then go from there!

Post #17452327th Dec 2016 9:13 am
Naks

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I recently switched from 19" Hankooks to 18" BFG ATs, and these BFGs make a helluva noise between 40-80kmh. which is most of my commute speed Rolling Eyes

But once over 80kmh, the noise is mostly gone, so I'm assuming there a bit of uneven wear and once that's gone most of the noise will be gone as well.
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/22l8YHh
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/2iH7jgG 

Post #17452357th Dec 2016 9:18 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Try turning the tyres round, they should be done diagonally as part of a service if they have bi-direction tyres fitted otherwise Back to front. Rub the palm of your hand over the tread backwards and forwards and feel for slight steps in one direction, if there are any tyres need turning if bi-directional, there will be an arrow on the tyre wall if they are single direction.
Front tyres wearing faster than rears is a good sign of aggressive cornering Whistle
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #17452387th Dec 2016 9:31 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Slightly off-topic but just checked when I last put tyres on - February 2014 and 38K ago

Pirelli Scorpion Zero's, 255 / 50 R20

Not bad mileage - mostly all Motorway though

Post #17452447th Dec 2016 9:40 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Just changed all our tyres at 32000 miles had scorpion zeros and fitted them again as replacements and I have to say that the improvement in both noise and handling is very noticeable - I guess the wear is gradual so not aware of the deterioration until all new fitted!
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #17452927th Dec 2016 11:38 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Ted, I'm not even bothering looking at another brand. These will be the third set on my D4 Thumbs Up

Post #17453007th Dec 2016 11:48 am
boyd

United Kingdom 

There is definitely an increase in road noise moving from comparable 19" to 20" on the D4, particularly evident on some tarmac surfaces.

It's also well known that tyre noise increases with wear.

Although I'm not 100% having not driven a D3 in a good while, I'd say the roll stiffness is definitely increased in the D4 over the D3, apparent mainly in low to moderate lateral accelerations, to deliver it whether from springs or bars will without question increase the spring stiffness which will of course increase road noise.

Out of interest, I found the lux to be the quietest of the D4's whether something to do with the leather dash top roll or carpet mats I don't know.

Post #17453017th Dec 2016 11:50 am
hc76

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Could be a wheel bearing? Do you think it is coming from one corner in particular? I had both front wheel bearings done on my 2012 D4 on separate occasions and had a similar noise. There was no play in the wheels but the noise gradually got worse.
 2016 D4 Landmark - Waitomo/Ebony
2012 D4 HSE - Orkney/Almond - gone
2009 D4 XS - Buckingham/Ebony - gone 

Post #17457598th Dec 2016 8:32 am
simonej

Thanks for all the replies!

I don't think it's a bearing as I think it would still make the noise even on the super smooth tarmac. It's also unrelated to cornering and certainly doesn't sound like the worn bearings I've experienced before.

With regards to rotating them, they weren't rotated at all during the last service in October. Not sure they're directional tyres though (Scorpions) but I'll try running my hand over them to check for wear.

I'm seriously considering a set of 19" wheels, annoyingly I sold a set a few months ago when I sold my D3 - knew I should've kept them!

One other symptom I've noticed, although I could be mistaken, is that it's slightly rhythmic. It will make the noise for a couple of seconds then go quiet for a couple of seconds and then make the noise again. Not sure whether that would suggest mechanical rather than tyres?

Post #17465189th Dec 2016 10:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >