Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

Viewed D5 Thursday....deposit placed on D4 Landmark today!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
philnanks

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Viewed D5 Thursday....deposit placed on D4 Landmark today!

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.
Thought Id share my decision to grab the chance of one of the few remaining MY16 D4 Landmarks today while I can.....and this was after seeing and inspecting the new D5 this Thursday at my dealer in Truro, Cornwall.

Currently have a MY12 D4 HSE in Orkney grey with 48k on the clock. Love it and it does everything I want but as its now 5 years old, Ive been getting the urge to change before something expensive goes wrong.....also thought the time might be right as it needs 2 new tyres, a service and the EGR fault light has come on a couple of times recently so thats gonna need to be done.....reckoning on spending £1000 just to keep it going this month.

On the launch of the new D5 I actually put a 1k deposit on an HSE spec subject to seeing it in the flesh on 1st December.
I actually like it and its a massive jump ahead in time over the D5 in pretty much every way, but then it was always going to, and had to be.
It was quite funny seeing it next to the D4 in the showroom (now my D4 i should add Very Happy ) as there was nothing familiar or similar about the 2 vehicles. The D4 looked like a step back in time and old fashioned compared to the D5.

The D5 is a Discovery in name only and you can't compare it against a D4 but I gotta be honest, I did like it as a vehicle and there was some real good features on it. For me, I liked the extra storage in the cabin, the fit, finish and upmarket feel and obviously the up to date ICE/display and all of those features which the D4 definitely lacks in.
I wasn't so keen on the size of it.....much wider than the D4....car parks and roads are narrower enough as it especially down here at the pointy end! Electric slow folding seats, really not bothered about that and the little tailgate seat flap is something Im not so keen on either. The boot although much wider is slightly less deep but quite a lot less in height (at the tailgate) and nowhere near as practical. My current dog cage would not fit due to the height and shape of the opening and whilst not a deal breaker (Id buy a cage that would fit) for those that need the practicality, its just not as good.

And lastly the cost.....its not cheap esp with the spec I chose....HSE with the dynamic pack and a few necessary options came to nearly 60k!!

So the conclusion I came to was, I like it but is it worth 33k over my D4 which was valued at 25k as a part ex?? For me, definitely not so my mind was made up.

I had no intention of looking at changing for a new D4 but was drawn to the silver Landmark one that was sat next to the D5. It had been sold but the buyer had to pull out so was up for sale again.
Privacy glass and a 5 year service plan for 51K.....plus I can use all my accessories, tow bar, dog cage, rubber mats, roof bars so decision made today..... deposit down and Ive got worry free motoring and servicing for the next few years. Really happy with my decision!

Wouldn't have chose silver by choice but with the black grill and side vents I think it'll grow on me...oh and its got the standard alloys whereas Ive got the diamond cut Landmark alloys on mine which I want to keep. The dealer has agreed to swap the tyres from the new one and put my wheels on. Thumbs Up

My current D4

Post #17434273rd Dec 2016 12:39 pm
Snowman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Looks nice and I'm sure you will be very happy with your new steed.

When buying our D3 I wanted any colour but Sliver. But Sliver is growing on me and it looks cleaner for longer Laughing
 Andy.

Series 3 SWB Wagon OEC614Y sold
Discovery 1 50th Anniversary Edition S882 BMA sold
Freelander TD4 ES Y615 YEC sold
Freelander TD4 Kalahari NX53 EVH sold
D2 TD5 XS 2003 YF03 WVW sold
D3 TDV6 2008 SE 

Post #17434313rd Dec 2016 12:51 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Nice choice... Thumbs Up
And it sounds like you went through much the same decision process as I did before choosing a late D4. I also wanted to like the D5, but it's simply not as practical in day to day use.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #17434393rd Dec 2016 1:07 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Same decision slightly different outcome for me but ultimately the D5 in no disco .right choice Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #17434473rd Dec 2016 1:23 pm
Washwipe

England 

Good choice, also done the same, 62 plate gone in, come out with a MY16 Landmark. Thumbs Up

Post #17434653rd Dec 2016 2:17 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I took a tape measure to the boot and although every single other measurement on the D5's cargo bay was worse the boot was only 1" wider.

I've used the opportunity to upgrade to the newest and nicest HSE Lux I could find (to get my choice of colours), but it's good to see the last of the D4's being snapped up by those that are going to really appreciate them! Thumbs Up
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #17434733rd Dec 2016 2:31 pm
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Excellent summary and thought process. I think I would have come to the same conclusion in your circumstances.
Enjoy your new steed!

Post #17434853rd Dec 2016 3:17 pm
philnanks

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks all Thumbs Up Yes def happy with decision and looking forward to the hand over.

Took the wife over today to have a look at it as she didn't take too much notice on Thursday at the D5 launch......what is it with sales staff and product knowledge? How long has the disco 4 been out?? Was having a look around to compare whats different in the Landmark to mine and pulled down the usb/charger point cover in the rear (the one behind the centre armrest) when the salesman who was watching said "never even knew that was there?" Maybe he's new but it doesn't install confidence that some of them know anything about the cars they're trying to sell.
Also said the lights are xenon only and not adaptive xenons....im sure I read on here that that's a standard feature on the Landmark? Or maybe Im wrong?

Post #17435003rd Dec 2016 3:59 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

2016 landmark has adaptive xenon... mine does
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #17435053rd Dec 2016 4:13 pm
Ja92mie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'll keep my eye out for your old one when it comes up on the market at Carrs!

Thumbs Up

Post #17435173rd Dec 2016 4:41 pm
moles

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I went along to the D5 launch ready to place an order for one of the First Edition vehicles in Orange. What a disappointment.
Have now decided that my 2012 D4 HSE will have to last until Land Rover can unveil the new Defender and hope it will be more D4 like.
If not, I will look at a Ford Transit Connect. Have borrowed one from work and it was great fun to drive and could carry plenty - also much cheaper than a Land Rover!!!
 moles  
Post #17435243rd Dec 2016 5:18 pm
philnanks

Mr.Tom wrote:
2016 landmark has adaptive xenon... mine does

Thought so...thanks!

Post #17435303rd Dec 2016 5:31 pm
philnanks

Ja92mie wrote:
I'll keep my eye out for your old one when it comes up on the market at Carrs!

Thumbs Up

Ja92mie...if youre interested in it, its a real nice one but as mentioned the egr fault code has come on a couple of times although its running fine now and not showing any faults. New disks/pads all round this time last year and new front tyres 6 months ago. Rears are on legal limit and due a service but that would be done by dealer anyway. Always been really well looked after....plus it'll have a brand new set of 20" alloys when they swap my ones over!

Post #17435323rd Dec 2016 5:36 pm
Deanos_Beano

England 

When you need a Disco only a Disco will do for everything else there is a Range Rover
Great decision and nice to see you have deliberated it and not jumped in , notnthat I know but I reckon you wont have regrets .

Post #17435333rd Dec 2016 5:36 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

The Landmarks should have adaptive headlamps, but it's not the first time that I'd heard that the last batch at Carrs was missing them. At the price they were available at its probably a small price to pay though Thumbs Up

Enjoy the new D4 and they look good in silver 8)
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #17435353rd Dec 2016 5:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >