DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

LR3 won't start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Re: Discovery 3 Cold Start problem - my temporary solution

4TRAX wrote:
I have had the cold start problem for a few winters. I decided to make a short video documenting the problem and where I believe the fault lies, at least in my vehicle. Looks to be the engine coolant temp sensor - not sure if replacing it will solve the problem, so any suggestions from members of DISCO3 would be appreciated Smile

Well that doesn't make a lot of sense lol !

If someone has a code reader near you they should read the actual temperature on a cold morning.

Post #175512429th Dec 2016 2:39 pm
PaulJC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Mine failed to start first time yesterday, and wasn't too keen on starting today either... Pushed the button on my split charger to link the batteries and it started straight away, the main battery was down to 11.5 before starting but the alternator is new and charging fine once running, i'll stick it on the CTek later to see if that helps if not it'll be a new battery come payday...

Post #175560430th Dec 2016 4:25 pm
4TRAX

Following on from my earlier reply with the hot water on the sensor video... I ordered a replacement engine coolant sensor and fitted it, as well as changing my battery as it was approaching 5yrs of age. Sadly this did not make a difference. Once the engine block cooled enough the only way to start the vehicle was with the hot water trick.

I phoned my local Landrover Dealer and asked if I could talk to one of their technicians. I did not expect to be put through but miracles do happen and soon I was talking to their master technician. He said that when the ambient temp goes below zero the engine coolant sensor will notify the management system to turn on the glowplugs. I think I understood him correctly when he added that the management system also changes the injector timing, or something like that. It seems that the glowplugs are only in use when the temp is below zero.

By a process of elimination I believe that the problem is not that the glowplugs are broken, but that the change of injector timing fouls the startup. Diesel engines do not require a spark - ignition is primarily through pressure. It starts first time if you heat the sensor, thus telling the engine to inject as it would when the temp is above zero. Even if the ambient temp is -10C and the engine block below zero, it starts first time if the sensor is warm. Working glowplugs are thus irrelevant.

I am tempted to circumvent the engine coolant sensor. When I opened the old one up I noticed it is filled with a thermal conductive paste. Presumably when the paste gets cold enough it stops conducting electricity and this break in circuit is what tells the management system to use the cold start procedure.
I unplugged the sensor and tried starting the vehicle in the cold - it refused. By bridging the sensor plug with a wire I reckon it will keep the management system under the impression that its a warm sunny day. Therefore no cold start procedure and a disco that starts first time. Once the cold weather is past I can then reconnect the coolant sensor.

Just got to build up some courage to bridge the plug - I don't want to trigger a management system meltdown!

Post #177007427th Jan 2017 6:04 pm
Mal.

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

4TRAX.
Can you please let us know when you have the courage to bridge the sensor,and what happens as I have the same problem.
Great post.
Mal.

Post #177029027th Jan 2017 11:52 pm
vtecviffer

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

4TRAX

Could you please detail the hot Water Trick?

I have recently sold my very reliable Discovery 3 (Up until it was laid up for a month). It takes only the slightest turn of the key to start normally but when it is below freezing it is just turning over but not starting.

If there is a quick trick to get him up and started I would really appreciate it.

Might also look at the FBH remote or timer for him.

Thanks

Post #19115486th Feb 2018 8:19 pm
4TRAX

Hot Water Trick

Hi vtecviffer - the basics of my hot water trick... Firstly remove the oil filler cap on the top of the engine, then lift off the plastic engine cover. Put the oil filler cap back on to prevent water getting into the engine. Take a bottle of hot water and pour it over the sensor area which is located at the top front of the engine. Douse the area between the top front of the engine and the radiator fan. The more heat you can get into that space the better the start Give it a minute for the heat to penetrate into the sensor and surrounds. Start the engine - hopefully this will work for you. Don't forget to refit the engine cover Smile. Good Luck and let us know if this works for you.

Post #19116086th Feb 2018 9:41 pm
vtecviffer

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Brilliant - I have passed the tip on to the new owner so hopefully this will get him out of a fix. Thanks for the quick response.

Post #19116536th Feb 2018 10:59 pm
TomHux

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Mines got this problem, only done it twice last week when it was really frosty outside. It did start after a few minutes of cranking. Will replacing the glow plugs fix it?

Post #191371612th Feb 2018 8:34 am
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hairdryer is also another quick fix. I put the hairdryer under the bonnet down the side of the engine while having breakfast and then held it to the air intake while staring Thumbs Up
But last night I parked front bumper against a wall and it started with on issues at -5

Post #191373112th Feb 2018 9:35 am
SpaceDawg

England 

4TRAX wrote:
Following on from my earlier reply with the hot water on the sensor video... I ordered a replacement engine coolant sensor and fitted it, as well as changing my battery as it was approaching 5yrs of age. Sadly this did not make a difference. Once the engine block cooled enough the only way to start the vehicle was with the hot water trick.

Hi,

Did you every work out what the problem was, mine does exactly the same and the water trick works. But I'd like a proper fix to it.

Ta

Post #191381012th Feb 2018 1:28 pm
Jenks535

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Disco 3 doesn't like the cold !

Hi, new to this forum but reads loads of useful tips/advice since buying my disco 3 a couple of years ago
Did anyone come back with a long term fix for the cold start issue.
Mine has been parked up this week whilst the 'beast from the east' has battered us as it refused to start !!!! Found this thread about heating the coolant sensor and bingo, fired up straight away !!
What can be done to fix this issue ??

Post #19206131st Mar 2018 12:54 pm
Erea

4TRAX wrote:

I phoned my local Landrover Dealer and asked if I could talk to one of their technicians. I did not expect to be put through but miracles do happen and soon I was talking to their master technician. He said that when the ambient temp goes below zero the engine coolant sensor will notify the management system to turn on the glowplugs. I think I understood him correctly when he added that the management system also changes the injector timing, or something like that. It seems that the glowplugs are only in use when the temp is below zero.

By a process of elimination I believe that the problem is not that the glowplugs are broken, but that the change of injector timing fouls the startup. Diesel engines do not require a spark - ignition is primarily through pressure. It starts first time if you heat the sensor, thus telling the engine to inject as it would when the temp is above zero. Even if the ambient temp is -10C and the engine block below zero, it starts first time if the sensor is warm. Working glowplugs are thus irrelevant.

I am tempted to circumvent the engine coolant sensor. When I opened the old one up I noticed it is filled with a thermal conductive paste. Presumably when the paste gets cold enough it stops conducting electricity and this break in circuit is what tells the management system to use the cold start procedure.
I unplugged the sensor and tried starting the vehicle in the cold - it refused. By bridging the sensor plug with a wire I reckon it will keep the management system under the impression that its a warm sunny day. Therefore no cold start procedure and a disco that starts first time. Once the cold weather is past I can then reconnect the coolant sensor.

Just got to build up some courage to bridge the plug - I don't want to trigger a management system meltdown!

Mine wouldn’t start in -2 temperatures yesterday, I aimed a hairdryer on the temp sensor for about 30 seconds and it started straight away, but very lumpy running as if it was only fireing on four or five cylinders, I had to hold the accelerator down slightly for a while until it smoothed out or else it would have stalled.
I was about to order a new one today until I read you Post.

So if the temp sensor is actually working correctly there must be something else amiss to be causing it not to start. A few years ago mine started first time every time in -15 for a week. Are there other temperatures sensors that are causing this?

Post #192795419th Mar 2018 9:16 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

A jag owner of this 2.7 engine recently changed the coolant sensor and it has improved cold starting.

(the hot water trick was working on his too)

So it might be worth changing it. I know it doesn't work for everyone.

Post #192798519th Mar 2018 12:18 pm
Flapper

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
My summers day starting sensor

Hi
I cheat as I have 2 sensors one in the car and one fitted into a cup. Fill the cup up with hot water plug in the sensor car now thinks its summer and starts, leave it running for a bit switch off, plug it back in to the car and restart.

Also I have a couple of ideas how this could be made much easier .

1. make an extension cable with a variable resistor in circuit plug the male end into the car sensor and the female end into the car connector, if its cold turn the knob (which could be in the car) so the temp gauge reads normal, start the car then turn it back down.

2 edit the ccf file and calibrate the sensor so it reads 70 degrees when its cold, start the car then turn it back to what ever it was before.

The only issue is I don't know how to do either.
This could be sold in the disco3 shop ???????? Idea Patent pending Whistle

I only know that the sensor talks to the temp gauge and the staring ecu.

F

Post #193071027th Mar 2018 12:26 pm
Erea

I might just get a second sensor and try that, I presume even having it warm would do to get started.

Post #193071927th Mar 2018 1:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >