Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Which compressor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bungle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Which compressor?

A yellow warning light, message saying "normal suspension height only" and a knocking and banging sound under the passenger sill signified the death of the suspension compressor on Christmas day.... So, given that it is probably the original (the previous owner had the vehicle from 3 years old and only ever fitted a dryer, I fitted another dryer this year) I guess it will be the Hitachi unit.

As far as I can tell there are two options (no-one seems to have the Hitachi anymore):

1. Fit a Dunlop replacement unit c. £350 with new relay. Seems to be a drop in replacement.
2. Fit the AMK c. £700 with fitting kit, needs software update (which I assume I can do with IID), also have to Censored about sending the old unit back - goodness knows why, can't see anyone overhauling it!

We don't do serious off roading (farm tracks, slippery grass fields, bit of towing), is the AMK unit really worth twice the money and extra hassle? Opinions sought after please....

Also, just for interest, what does the different software actually achieve?

Post #175418527th Dec 2016 11:14 am
nearlee

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Personal experience would have me running away from the AMK.

Look at it this way 2 dunlops or 1 AMK I know which way I'd be going.
 Just remember:-
Amateurs built the Ark
Professionals built the titanic 

Post #175419027th Dec 2016 11:40 am
Bungle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

2 Dunlop's for 1 AMK was a top thought in my mind I have to admit.... But then why do people pay the extra to retrofit the AMK? Or is this a hang over from problems with the Hitachi units and actually there are no problems with the Dunlop unit... Given that the Hitachi on mine is over 10 years old, what did people perceive as the problem with them anyway? Presumably LR had a reason to move away from them.

Post #175419427th Dec 2016 12:05 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

i went for the dunlop as there were spares available so at least u could rebuild them if required at some stage

Post #175422127th Dec 2016 1:18 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I went for the AMK, as at the time (I think) the Dunlop was new out and a bit of an unknown.
Also the AMK was a lot less than £700, and not an exchange.

Post #175422527th Dec 2016 1:29 pm
zoneout

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Re: Which compressor?

Bungle wrote:
A yellow warning light, message saying "normal suspension height only" and a knocking and banging sound under the passenger sill signified the death of the suspension compressor on Christmas day.... So, given that it is probably the original (the previous owner had the vehicle from 3 years old and only ever fitted a dryer, I fitted another dryer this year) I guess it will be the Hitachi unit.

As far as I can tell there are two options (no-one seems to have the Hitachi anymore):

1. Fit a Dunlop replacement unit c. £350 with new relay. Seems to be a drop in replacement.
2. Fit the AMK c. £700 with fitting kit, needs software update (which I assume I can do with IID), also have to Censored about sending the old unit back - goodness knows why, can't see anyone overhauling it!

We don't do serious off roading (farm tracks, slippery grass fields, bit of towing), is the AMK unit really worth twice the money and extra hassle? Opinions sought after please....

Also, just for interest, what does the different software actually achieve?

I don't know exactly what the new software does (I think it has to do with max temperatures and duty cycles of the compressor/motor), but you can do it with the IID Tool BT: takes a minute and is easy. I think its in the service menu.

I just put an AMK in. Its easy (make sure you get the full kit with the upper and lower covers, plus a couple of pipes and a new fitting for the reservoir block). There are clear instructions here on the forum (Disco Mikey I think). The fiddliest part is cutting the exhaust tube and then connecting the inlet tube. I'm happy with the result, but a little unhappy that the AMK can't be overhauled. Having said that, I overhauled my Hitachi and it didn't last long after that: the cylinder bore had deteriorated, and that can't be fixed, requires replacement. But the car had done 350 000km on the original compressor.

I havent heard anything bad about the Dunlop compressor, sounds like its the same as the Hitachi.

Post #175461628th Dec 2016 12:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >