Burnt out Suspension compressor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
diverre

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Burnt out Suspension compressor

Hi All,

Pom in Oz here.

Disco D3 2005 V8 - SO had the dreaded suspension fault amber light come on yesterday. Flicked through the manual and Ok to drive on normal height. No problem I thought as only doing some shopping. Next time I stopped the car and turned it off the compressor continued to run!!!! So quickly back in the car and home. Arrived home and compressor still running but this time with smoke coming out the back wheel arch!!!!Panicked to find the fuse....... no joy... pulled Suspension ECU fuses still running....... finally disconnected the battery but by this time too late, all the smoke had gone and could not get back in......
Did some forum work and it appears the relay stuck on. Burnt out the old Hitachi motor. So time for a new compressor and relay.
Question - Does the new AMK model compressor fit inside the Hitachi Compressor covers?? Or do i have to buy the full "kit" including covers etc

Post #170505213th Sep 2016 1:53 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome diverre....The compressor running on happened to me a couple of yrs ago, fortunately I noticed it and pulled the relay pretty quickly, and fitted a replacement.(always carry a spare Laughing ).. I had been getting the amber light and 'normal height only' msg every now and again for a week or so previously, and was puzzled for a while until that happened Shocked ......Still on the same original compressor now (with a new relay). I think the amk compressor needs its own particular covers BTW. Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #170505413th Sep 2016 2:19 am
garrycol

Australia 

Where is the relay located?

Post #170505613th Sep 2016 2:35 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In the engine bay fuse box, can't recall which one just now, but it will be shown on the guide on the underside of the fuse box cover.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #170505713th Sep 2016 2:40 am
diverre

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks DN

Can anyone confirm if the old hitachi covers fit the new AMK compressor?

Post #170506013th Sep 2016 4:50 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I am pretty sure you will need a new cover.

They are different but do not know if anyone has tried to cut the foam in the Hitachi one. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #170506113th Sep 2016 5:10 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

diverre wrote:
Thanks DN

Can anyone confirm if the old hitachi covers fit the new AMK compressor?

Welcome diverre - no, the Hitachi covers do not go over the AMK compressor.

Please note that you will need to get a software update as the AMK operates under a slightly different regime. It can be run under the 'old' software for a shortish period but the advice on here and AULRO site is to get it updated...

HTH, Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #170508413th Sep 2016 8:26 am
MonLand

2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourLR3
Me too!

Just a "me too" post, I did not think much of it, let it run, went to a meeting, came back out 1H later to a burning smell.... and a dead compressor.

If you have not done so yet, check where the relay is under the engine bonnet. On my LHD, it's in a box under the battery cover closest large relay to the windshield toward the center of the car. There is a nice diagram that shows relay location. (I assume it's the same spot for any LR3?).

I think this is a part that we should have a spare for, and likely just replace it every 10 years or every 100K. The relay for the compressor is the same as the one for the heated windshield (that's what I'm using right now until I get a new one). If you don't have a heated windshield, there must be an empty spot for you to store your spare! Smile

My '06 has a little over 100K miles, original relay might have suffered since previous compressor died with fried circuit board. I did not think about replacing it then, probably should have....

I'll look into rebuilding a new compressor now as the used one I fit is too slow (i.e. triggers error on the console).

Post #178313624th Feb 2017 5:06 pm
trainmanone

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hitachi covers wont fit the amk, I changed mine last September from failed Hitachi/Dunlop and fitted amk without covers as they are only there to deaden sound as they are not water proof covers and can withhold mud etc. in my opinion

Post #178316824th Feb 2017 6:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >