Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Diagnosis of noise on the move
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JksD4

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Diagnosis of noise on the move

Trying to locate a noise that appears at 50mph and seems to disappear about 65mph.

The noise is a medium pitch sort of howl, which seems to be coming from the front right most of the time, but is hard to be exact. sometimes it sounds as though it's from the rear. I suspect a front bearing, but There is no variation turning left or right.
I had both front bearing changed within the last year and have done 10k miles since, but I'm not sure what make of bearing my local Indy put in, so could still be a bearing.
Front lower arms changed by disco_mikey only 1k miles ago - he checked track rod ends etc and they were OK and hunter 4 wheel alignment done.
When the noise is loudest, about 55-60mph, there is a definite high frequency vibration through the steering wheel.
Currently at 90k miles.
(Last time I had a wheel bearing go it was a lower pitch grumble that varied when I turned right, so diagnosed the near side bearing - which it was).

Any ideas? also any tips to locate the noise - has anyone used 'chassis ears' ?
 MY2010 D4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornaway grey  
Post #16894367th Aug 2016 2:52 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Few similar threads:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic147375.html
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic136244.html

Keep us posted if you find the cause..

Post #16896838th Aug 2016 9:45 am
JksD4

Solved - it was the tyres - General Grabber AT2's they had plenty of tread left, 6-8mm, but I've changed to a new set of GG AT3s - peace and quiet restored Very Happy

I think the time to change is with significant tread depth left - the tyres have the typical depth indicator blocks at about 2 mm, but this is really a road tyre limit, the ATs need to be swapped sooner. All mine had done around 20k miles so I'm pretty pleased with that.

This was a really hard one to solve - it sounded like rear wheel bearings - so I had them swapped (at 95k) and the propshaft centre bearing was shot, so swapped the rear prop - none solved the noise, but I'm happy to have got them done. The D4 passed 100k just this week.
Post #179377120th Mar 2017 3:45 am
swansty

JksD4 wrote:
Solved - it was the tyres - General Grabber AT2's they had plenty of tread left, 6-8mm, but I've changed to a new set of GG AT3s - peace and quiet restored Very Happy

I think the time to change is with significant tread depth left - the tyres have the typical depth indicator blocks at about 2 mm, but this is really a road tyre limit, the ATs need to be swapped sooner. All mine had done around 20k miles so I'm pretty pleased with that.

This was a really hard one to solve - it sounded like rear wheel bearings - so I had them swapped (at 95k) and the propshaft centre bearing was shot, so swapped the rear prop - none solved the noise, but I'm happy to have got them done. The D4 passed 100k just this week.

Did you happen to get the car aligned at the same time as they tyre change?

Last edited by swansty on 20th Mar 2017 3:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #179393420th Mar 2017 3:22 pm
swansty

double post

Post #179393520th Mar 2017 3:22 pm
JksD4

Wheel alignment done after the rear bearings replaced - no change in the noise.
Changed the tyres later which fixed the noise problem.
Post #179404720th Mar 2017 9:16 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had howl coming from back of car, my thoughts turned to wheel bearings, diff etc ( all the expensive things ). It turned out to be the wear pattern on the tyres due to rear wheel alignment out. Had new tyres and alignment done and all OK. Just having the wheel alignment done would have not improved things as it was the shape of the worn tyres that was causing the noise,

Post #179406420th Mar 2017 9:40 pm
swansty

I have a noise which could be described as a howling/vibrating/buzzing noise which is particularly noticeable on rough tarmac at 50-65mph. It seemed to improve after a wheel alignment but a recent alignment didn't have any impact although i noticed this time that they didn't adjust the front castor and it was out. His system (corgi) didn't show him it could be adjusted and it wasn't until afterwards that i researched it and realised how it can be done. Changing tyres from worn GGAT's to new Pirelli ATR's made no difference.

Post #179414120th Mar 2017 11:38 pm
JksD4

L319 wrote:
I had howl coming from back of car, my thoughts turned to wheel bearings, diff etc ( all the expensive things ). It turned out to be the wear pattern on the tyres due to rear wheel alignment out. Had new tyres and alignment done and all OK. Just having the wheel alignment done would have not improved things as it was the shape of the worn tyres that was causing the noise,

Thumbs Up
Post #179416121st Mar 2017 5:10 am
JksD4

swansty wrote:
I have a noise which could be described as a howling/vibrating/buzzing noise which is particularly noticeable on rough tarmac at 50-65mph. It seemed to improve after a wheel alignment but a recent alignment didn't have any impact although i noticed this time that they didn't adjust the front castor and it was out. His system (corgi) didn't show him it could be adjusted and it wasn't until afterwards that i researched it and realised how it can be done. Changing tyres from worn GGAT's to new Pirelli ATR's made no difference.

I feel your pain!!

I wonder if anyone on here has tried "Chassis Ears" ?
Post #179416221st Mar 2017 5:17 am
eddyoz

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have a similar sort of noise on MY11 3.0 SDV6 initially was diagnosed as front wheel bearing,changed both sides using Timkens...no difference.It is gradually getting worse with a flap flap noise when coming to a stop.Tyres are Hankook AT with about 15000 kms,rotating to include the two new spares put on the front made no difference.Now suspect it may be rear wheel bearing or the prop shaft centre bearing as the revolution frequency sounds faster than a wheel rotation.For a better diagnosis under road conditions I have bought some 'Chassis Ears'[https://www.vidaxl.com.au/e/8718475845379/auto-car-electronic-stethoscope-kit]consisting of 6 microphones that can be attached to different locations on the vehicle....surely will provide a more accurate assessment of this and future sound/noise related problems.Pretty good value if they prove their worth....will let you know,when I get around to setting them up.

Post #18213591st Jun 2017 12:55 pm
eddyoz

The stethoscope arrived and I fitted the mic clamps to suspect areas of the rear wheel bearings and propshaft centre bearing.Soon confirmed offside bearing was the noisy culprit,nearside was comparatively silent.Whilst under the vehicle I noticed a yellow plastic fitting on the transfer case crossmember,anyone know its purpose?

[/img]

Post #18235877th Jun 2017 9:47 am
eddyoz

Just to answer my own question the yellow plastic fitting is part LR019275 described as Fuel Tank Plug.Its purpose?

Post #182484010th Jun 2017 9:31 am
eddyoz

Noise confirmed as rear wheel bearing,Required a bigger press than my 12 ton replaced with an SNR[NTN]GI16071014.Replaced at 108Kkms Job done!

Post #182696115th Jun 2017 11:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >