Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Sat Nav Screen - Fixed but not quite right!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Vshapedengines

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Sat Nav Screen - Fixed but not quite right!

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 2005 HSE with the knowledge of a duff sat nav screen. A friend of mine who is a whizz at these things found that the DVD player (under the seat) had no power and it had an aftermarket phone kit that had only been partially removed.

He tidied up the wiring from the old phone kit and everything checked out but still no screen or dvd rom.

Armed with a complete LR3 wiring manual (google is amazing for finding this stuff) he traced the fault to the radio head unit. When grounding properly - from a connector on the back to the case of the unit this activated a relay that then powered up the DVD and the Satnav screen. All brilliant!! He thinks its a fault in the radio itself.

He then checked and the relay wasn't releasing when the ignition was turned off so for now he has fitted me a temporary switch as he was worried about battery drain etc.

I have been thinking a little more and have a couple of questions for the auto-electrical minded of you:-

1. I have read an awful lot about the unit not going to sleep straight away (maybe 2 minutes?) is this the reason that the relay does not release when the ignition is switched off?

2. Any ideas for getting the head unit repaired or checked? I don't fancy buying a second hand radio at over £500.

3. Any other ideas as to what might cause the relay to only operate when there is a cable between the connector and the case on the rear of the unit?

Many thanks

Neil

Post #16778086th Jul 2016 2:40 pm
Vshapedengines

I have followed a few similar posts from Wiggs on sorting the satnav screen out - hoping he sees this

Post #16783117th Jul 2016 4:53 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The relay is working ok, its the relay that powers down when the car goes to sleep, the screen and others do not go off as soon as the key is turned off, you need to try it and wait for the the red epb led on the dash to go out, then car will be in sleep mode, can take more than a few mins on some cars.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #16784527th Jul 2016 10:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Vshapedengines

Thanks Flack - actually your name also rings a bell from a few posts I read trying to sort this one. That's as i thought just thought it worth checking that my 'train of thought' was correct.

Just need to work out why the radio doesn't seem to be grounding that connection to the relay, at least it works with a little bypass wire, so i am 99% there and can at least use the screen now.

Thanks

Post #16785358th Jul 2016 9:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >