Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Harmon Kardon Logic 7 Head unit replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
GWO110

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Harmon Kardon Logic 7 Head unit replacement

I'm fitting an aftermarket head unit (10.1" Android double din) to a 2009 Disco 3 HSE which has Harman Kardon Logic 7. I've read and searched this topic for weeks now and I have an idea which hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members may be able to comment on. I want to retain the factory display with sat nav and 4x4 info and I want to retain the clock and dash info & settings and I want to retain satnav sound. So here is the idea:- Use the Range Rover Sport SWC and screen retention cable (29-712) from InCarTec which may work with Disco 3 but is untested. Not cheap but it retains the center section of the high line head unit and the MOST connections and this section then fits behind the dash. This kit is designed for Harman Kardon system but not the Logic 7. The HK amp bypass lead will feed from the dash to the Logic 7 amp but the plan is to cut the end off this lead and splice the new head unit speaker wires to the existing speaker wires that would normally come out of the HK amp. I would connect front and rear door speakers to the new head unit and leave the centre speaker and surround speakers connected to the HK Logic 7 amp for sat nav sound. The phone can be handled by the new head unit. If this all works then I'll look at fitting another amp to run off the new head unit using the door speakers and sub woofers. This, to me, sounds feasible but I don't know about the communications between the existing high line head unit and the logic 7 amp via MOST or CAN and whether this is part of the reason this screen retention cable is described as not suitable for the logic 7 system or whether it's just the pinouts on the amp connector. As far as I'm aware there's no difference between the head units on HK and HK Logic 7? If all this fails then it's relocation of the head unit on the rear quarter so any tips on this would be very welcome too. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Just fitted aftermarket headrests with DVD's and GVIF which work a treat. TV Tuner is next after the head unit.
 95 Disco 1 highly modified for off road, 09 Disco 3 HSE, 64 Disco 4 XXV  
Post #167446029th Jun 2016 12:51 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

One snippet of help is that the audio is transmitted over the optical network between the headunit and amp.

Why don't you just fit the headunit in the upper glovebox?

Post #167478629th Jun 2016 6:47 pm
GWO110

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I never imagined it would fit in there but I'll be out measuring in the morning. Do you know if this has been done before?
 95 Disco 1 highly modified for off road, 09 Disco 3 HSE, 64 Disco 4 XXV  
Post #167489829th Jun 2016 10:32 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Yes, but I think they rip the front of the headunit off as that isn't needed and makes it unnecessarily big.

Do a search on here

Post #167527730th Jun 2016 6:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >