Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

Purchase
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discochuck

United States 
Purchase

I'm eyeballing an LR3 and I need some insight from you experts (I'm an LR n00b, having only driven a few models a handful of times). I have a truck but really need more seats and interior storage so this will be a second car for me.

It's a 2005 LR3 SE with 77k miles, green/tan - asking $6500. No third row (although I may add this later). The owned seems to be older, probably not inclined to offroad or thrash in it.0

Here's what the seller describes as the "bads":

1) Paint, aside from 6" spot on hood where clear coat is peeling it appears fine in pictures. I'd likely feather new clear on just to protect the base coat. I'm not too concerned about cosmetics (no show cars in my garage) but I am concerned about rust and hate the way flaking clear looks.

2) AC not working - worked fine until last summer when it was turned on and it didn't work.

3) Interior leak - seller noticed heavy condensation at the top edge of the windshield, near the visor and wet pass side floor pan/carpet. Could this be a sunroof drain clog, ac condenser clog or maybe the wiper fascia/apron and seals that are on the hood?

4) Ft suspension - The suspension does not go up and down. It is at "normal" drive height and the error message on the dash indicates "only normal mode available." I'm going to assume this is somewhat common, due to an air compressor, air dryer or wheel height sensors? Just a guess

5) tear in the center console material and cracked dash

No other mechanical troubles were disclosed.

The above list doesn't have me concerned too much - 3 and 4 are probably of most concern - but certainly not a deal breaker.

I do plan to go out and inspect it - but before I do, I was hoping to put a list together of common (or not-so-common) things to investigate on the LR3 - so if there is a list off the top of your head (or a link you can throw my way) I'd be most appreciative.

Assuming the above list is all that is wrong, does $6500 sound like a fair price?

Post #17723241st Feb 2017 3:07 am
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi mate and welcome. RE leak it's possibly the sunroof drain tube blocked on that side or both of them. A quick search on here will reveal how to clear them. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #17723551st Feb 2017 7:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

I'd say the price is very good, but clearly some issues. I paid double that for an 06 with 63k last year, although it was immaculate and had a lot of work done with a full LRSH. As noted plenty of advice on fixing the sunroof drains. The suspension could be an issue. Not cheap at the dealers but if you get an IID tool and don't mind getting your hands dirty the cars are ok to work on.

Check whether it's a V6 or V8. If a V6 you may want to do a bit more reading and think more carefully. It doesn't compare well with the V8.

When driving check for whines. I've just replaced a front bearing at about this mileage as have many others. OK to do on your own if a bit frustrating. Genuine bearings are around 280 delivered here from the UK. (Vs $400 odd here from the stealer).
 PAGODA  
Post #17724911st Feb 2017 1:32 pm
Snowman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I may be off track here but could a 5 seat model be on Springs and not Air Suspension?

Does it have the lever on the left side of the centre consol for raise and lower, will have 3 positions raised, std , lower(access)

If it is on air then you will have a leak or a US compressor
 Andy.

Series 3 SWB Wagon OEC614Y sold
Discovery 1 50th Anniversary Edition S882 BMA sold
Freelander TD4 ES Y615 YEC sold
Freelander TD4 Kalahari NX53 EVH sold
D2 TD5 XS 2003 YF03 WVW sold
D3 TDV6 2008 SE 

Post #17725771st Feb 2017 4:36 pm
discochuck

United States 

Discomadness - thanks for the welcome and insight. I saw the truck today and it does appear to be a leak around the A-Pillar. I assume that the Rt Ft sunroof drain flows through that area and/or any excess water is probably finding a passage though there to ground.

Post #17732542nd Feb 2017 10:30 pm
discochuck

United States 

pagoda wrote:
I'd say the price is very good, but clearly some issues. I paid double that for an 06 with 63k last year, although it was immaculate and had a lot of work done with a full LRSH. As noted plenty of advice on fixing the sunroof drains. The suspension could be an issue. Not cheap at the dealers but if you get an IID tool and don't mind getting your hands dirty the cars are ok to work on.

Check whether it's a V6 or V8. If a V6 you may want to do a bit more reading and think more carefully. It doesn't compare well with the V8.

When driving check for whines. I've just replaced a front bearing at about this mileage as have many others. OK to do on your own if a bit frustrating. Genuine bearings are around 280 delivered here from the UK. (Vs $400 odd here from the stealer).

Thanks Pagoda. I believe its a V8 but I brain farted and forgot to check when I took a look this morning. I didn't realize that there were two motor options in '05. I've got that question out to the seller. There's no service history.

New issue - The CEL is on. We were able to get it started once but that was it. After that, it would just turn over but not start. (he warned me that it had not been driven in 4 months but the rough start thing is apparently new and caught him off guard). I didn't press on because I didn't want to drain the battery or burn out the starter - however in the handful of attempts, it felt/sounded as if there is something wrong with either the fuel supply or ignition. Because of the newfound and unknown issues with the engine, I was decided not to take the risk; rather I suggested I would be more comfortable if he took it into his shop to pull codes and see what's going on. I'll provide updates if this goes any further (I'm hoping it does, as I liked the LR otherwise, aside from it's temporary debilitating warts)

Post #17732592nd Feb 2017 10:46 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

LR3's had the third row seats as an option in SE trim. AFAIK all SE have air suspension. There are many 5 seat SE with air suspension, sadly. I have one. Big Cry

Given all the other issues, I'd be tempted to say forget it and walk away. Maybe he'll bring it back from his dealer running and with the codes, but I wouldn't get too wedded to it. If you're in the market for a LR3, why not by the IID device now then you can read the codes on any vehicle you go to see? It could pay for itself at the first vehicle if you use to negotiate the price of the tool off the purchase price. Thumbs Up
 PAGODA  
Post #17732823rd Feb 2017 1:54 am
discochuck

United States 

Yes, this is definitely a V8 SE with no third row (sadly).

I'll defer on making a decision if/when there's more information. But I am indeed inclined to walk away.

I'm looking into the OBD tool now Smile

Post #17732843rd Feb 2017 2:26 am
discochuck

United States 

Update - He took the truck into a shop.

Yesterday's hard starting was because a mouse had gnawed through a wire under the engine cover. It's back to running (but not necessarily driving) condition.

Codes that were stored:
C1B00 Vehicle dynamics control module. Rodent damage at CTS wire
U0416 Invalid data from VDCM
C1A20 Pressure increase too slow - I think this relates to the suspension/compressor

He mentioned that the shop guys said something about ABS - not sure which code this relates to.

He's dropped the price to $4300 - I need to confirm with the boss that I can bring another stray home but I think I'll bite, given the price drop.

Post #17737794th Feb 2017 2:05 am
discochuck

United States 

Update #2 - Purchased and towed to me

Rather than jumped in b*lls deep with no LR repair experience, I took it to a local LR shop in the bay area (owner is ex-LR/Jag dealership mechanic).

Diagnosis:

Suspension: Cracked dryer; compressor fine
AC: low on freon, recharged
Brakes: one ABS sensor bad
Water leak: clogged drain

Damage estimate: $1400-$1600
Cost of purchase to get on the road - about $6000.

Hopefully this gamble will pay off. So far, it's looking pretty good Smile

Thanks for the support!

Post #177659610th Feb 2017 12:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >