DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Disco 3 Logic 7 weedy subwoofer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jimmernet

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Disco 3 Logic 7 weedy subwoofer

Hi,

Just purchased this car and very happy with it. However I have a problem with the audio, specifically that the bass is really weedy. Changing the "Subwoofer" levels on the head unit makes no difference to the sound at all. So I thought, well the sub is blown or the connectors fallen off. I have removed the sub and tested it on my home system- all good. When I put it back in the car it does actually make a noise, but it's sooo quiet. Tried removing one of the pair of connectors, then the other - (In case it was a phasing issue) no joy still quiet.

So now I'm stumped. I suspect that the control for the sub volume is foobarred and stuck at one level, regardless of what the headunit is saying.

Anyone got any suggestions - any magic way of resetting the whole audio system, or getting into the diagnostics..?

Cheers

Post #161553024th Feb 2016 6:12 pm
DaveJLBI

Ireland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

/just checking the obvious - if the engine is not running, the stereo (in my case anyway) will be running low power mode?

Post #161567824th Feb 2016 10:18 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Definitely not right. Prodigy's "Diesel Power" or Massive Attack's "Angel" usually cause passers by to lose their fillings.

Post #161572124th Feb 2016 11:28 pm
jimmernet

Yep, I have tried cranking up The Donkey, but no difference from low power mode (apart from overall volume from the surround speakers). It's like the sub volume is stuck on minimum. I suppose it's either the Amp, or the head unit, or knowing my luck, both. It certainly wasn't the cheapest bit - the sub itself. No No.

NoDo$h - I had Leftfield's Release the Pressure on full bass, and I spotted a timid bambi deer come along and take a leak on the rear passenger tyre. Crying or Very sad

Post #161587225th Feb 2016 11:53 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Same with my MY11 D4, can only really hear the sub if I fold down the tailgate and put my ear to it. I posted about this a while back and most seemed to think it was just normal behaviour of the Logic 7 setup.

We use Skoda Octavia scouts at work and I can hear the sub on those systems even when running on blues and twos!!
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #161600925th Feb 2016 3:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
parrafin23

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The sub is weak, indeed it is. its not ment to blast your eyeballs out. I have opted for adding another amp for the sub with a line converter. found the 4 wires comming from the amp and spliced em in to a line adapter to RCA connectors. feedin that to a amp. The line adapter I have is a active type, so It needs power to operate.. it has REmote output for the amp. it senses for signals on the input wires to turn on or off the amp. I havent fitted it yet, but I have everything ready to go. This line adapter, a JL1200 mono block. Now I just need to find a location for the amp and get new wires from the battery to the amp, I think I can put it in the boot some where.

Or I can take a nother route.. Yank out the satnav drive and replace it with the amp. or replace the hole entertainment system and go for aftermarket system, and yes I do have HSE with most bus.

I havent decided on what to do yet.

Mr.P

Post #161633326th Feb 2016 7:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jimmernet

Interesting parrafin23 - thanks for your thoughts. The towbar electrics are all quite handy next to the rear light cluster on the passenger side, although the cabling may not be up to supporting an amp. Alternatively the cigarette lighter socket is also around there, and that is switched. Probably going to be the best area to locate an amp also given it's proximity to the sub. Let me know how you get on - good luck!

Incidentally, I have posted about this on another thread and chap a replied saying he fixed his problem by identifying a duff logic 7 amp that he replaced with one from ebay. Also, Apparently some cars went out without the correct "EQ Map" being sent to the amp's firmware. I'm off to have the car in for a service at a stealer shortly. I will ask them, but I'm not holding my breath... I certainly don't want to pay out for a new amp that may or may not make any difference..

It is quite surprising how crap the sub is. They may have got away with it if it wasn't for that completely ineffectual "subfwoofer" volume setting on the head unit.

Cheers

Post #161633926th Feb 2016 8:19 am
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Something is definitely wrong. Changing the volume of the sub does make a very marked difference in the bass output. The volume of the system overall does go surprising high so the point that you can't listen to it at higher volumes for long. Hope you get it sorted. Thumbs Up

Post #161635226th Feb 2016 8:50 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Let me know how you get on as the volume control for my sub has virtually no effect at all. I don't want the car to shake but a sub working well enriches the sound system greatly and mine is certainly lacking
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #161636726th Feb 2016 9:30 am
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

Blue Monday by New Order is a good test of an audio system's capability!

Post #161767128th Feb 2016 4:56 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: Disco 3 Logic 7 weedy subwoofer

jimmernet wrote:
Hi,

Just purchased this car and very happy with it. However I have a problem with the audio, specifically that the bass is really weedy. Changing the "Subwoofer" levels on the head unit makes no difference to the sound at all. So I thought, well the sub is blown or the connectors fallen off. I have removed the sub and tested it on my home system- all good. When I put it back in the car it does actually make a noise, but it's sooo quiet. Tried removing one of the pair of connectors, then the other - (In case it was a phasing issue) no joy still quiet.

So now I'm stumped. I suspect that the control for the sub volume is foobarred and stuck at one level, regardless of what the headunit is saying.

Anyone got any suggestions - any magic way of resetting the whole audio system, or getting into the diagnostics..?

Cheers

simple question...have you been through the set up controls to see if it switched on ?
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #161772928th Feb 2016 7:31 pm
omg!

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My subwoofer works if you put your ear on it but chaning the setting does nothing.

Post #161773828th Feb 2016 7:45 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Remember...

its a Sub Woofer...you only get base component of the system sounds
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #161779028th Feb 2016 8:54 pm
mark c0

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi All,

A search led me here......

I have a 2007 D3 HSE with logic 7 and my stereo system WAS awesome, i loved it and the bass was really good BUT BUT BUT its now developed exactly the same fault Big Cry

Theres very weak response from the sub, the head unit controls make almost no difference, i have removed the sub thinking it was blown but its working on both inputs but now im relying on front speakers for bass Sad The sub control on the head unit before made a massive difference but now nothing

Has anyone found the fault? as of 2 weeks ago mines now the same and it was my favorite bits of the car!

Mark

Post #168413524th Jul 2016 7:51 pm
Fatboy Slim

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Same with my 06 Sad haven't had chance to look into it yet

Post #168417424th Jul 2016 9:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >