DISCO3.CO.UK > General

newbie seeking advice..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
W1LD R

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
newbie seeking advice..

Hi,
ive been a dormant forum member here for a couple of years, iv'e currently got a Audi S4 Embarassed , but it is being picked up on friday and going to its new home... 8)

So the search has begun for a disco 3...... i'm by no means new to LR, i've had 10 disco 2 td5's and know them like the back of my hand...

Anyway, this evening i've been to view a 2005 05 HSE with 143000 miles on the clock, a bit rough round the edges but has had all the work done to be expected of its age/mileage(Egrs, front and rear suspension bushes, balljoints, autobox replaced, cambelts done, compressor replaced).

First problem was after revving it very slightly from cold it would cut out, every single time and engine system fault would appear on the dash, starts instantly after cutting out, this is while gearbox is in park... You can select drive/reverse and move no problem, doesn't want to cut out at all... So quick spin round the block and it drove lovely....

Took it onto the M'way, got to approx 56-58Mph and it died, accelerator not responding to anything, gradually coming to a stop on the hard shoulder, selected N and give it some revs and seemed ok, back into D and works as normal again.... back on M'way upto 56/58mph same again, dies off not responding, but now battery light is on too.... new battery just been fitted and alternator checked (so he says). This continued until back on main roads where it behaved itself all the way back to his house where i left it!

Although i should walk away, part of me says i like a bit of a project and the price is quite low (£6800) so im still interested in it.... but what could the problem be?

id also like to note that the airbag light is on constantly and the standard head unit has been ditched due to some optical wire failure.... may not be related but worth mentioning....

Helppppp.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #159261613th Jan 2016 11:05 pm
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

better experts than me will be long shortly, but my 2p:

* any disco is likely to give you some 'project' work, esp a D3 at <£10k, so you don't need to go looking for problems
* there are plenty about, so in my view you'd be better off finding one that has had more tlc in its life and then working with that.....

Post #159261813th Jan 2016 11:10 pm
les-goose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome on board pal hows that air rifle going bought my D3 start of December love it to be honest I would walk away I did with a few before this one came along. Bit more complex than the D2 but like wise plenty on here who have diagnostics and plenty of info. If you see one remember you can go on DVLA web site and do a search for mot history that will give you some idea of what might need doing shortly and what has already been done Thumbs Up

Post #159313014th Jan 2016 7:26 pm
D16PJM

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

that would have to be very cheap for me to entertain it, plenty about and I think you will get one for sub 10k without major faults just need to keep looking.

Post #159315914th Jan 2016 8:08 pm
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Off Topic

I recognise your name from the D2 site when I was contemplating one, didn't you used to fabricate and sell something for them?!

Post #159316414th Jan 2016 8:12 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Welcome to the forum.

Last time I looked, forum member Pelyma had his 2006 D3 for sale. A long way from you, but he's owned it from new and it's been very well maintained etc.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #159322614th Jan 2016 9:30 pm
W1LD R

Iceman08 wrote:
Off Topic

I recognise your name from the D2 site when I was contemplating one, didn't you used to fabricate and sell something for them?!

Yes i run Wild 4x4 on the d2bc, selling window guards, battery trays, service tools...

Post #159346315th Jan 2016 12:19 pm
W1LD R

les-goose wrote:
Welcome on board pal hows that air rifle going bought my D3 start of December love it to be honest I would walk away I did with a few before this one came along. Bit more complex than the D2 but like wise plenty on here who have diagnostics and plenty of info. If you see one remember you can go on DVLA web site and do a search for mot history that will give you some idea of what might need doing shortly and what has already been done Thumbs Up

Hi Les,
i sold the rifle about 18month ago, i never got time to use it, shot about 15 pigeons for a friend and that was it.... Yes been using the mot check alot recently, shocking some of the failures you see!

Post #159346415th Jan 2016 12:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >