Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Tow bar mechanism
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Leesy id

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3
Tow bar mechanism

Hi all, my land rover goes in for a re call on the tow bar next week. The long and short of it is that when I got the car a year ago the tow bar was jammed on, I managed to release it with lock stuck in. I put it in the boot in the open position. Anyway to cut a long story short I decided to look at getting the lock off which I have done successfully obviously I won't ever say how it's done. However the problem I have is that before I took it off I tested it to see if it would close. It did however seem stuff and would t turn. Now just got back in from garage and I've stripped the whole lock out to find a spindle a spring and the red housImg. My question being is the any way I can grease the mechanism or will a new lock do the trick?

Post #15874834th Jan 2016 11:47 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If you can get the tow bar into the receiver, id say perhaps leave it to the recall and see what LR do? May work?

Post #15881876th Jan 2016 9:24 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I've completely stripped, cleaned, and reassembled both my removable tow bar and 2" receiver locking mechanisms. It's very simple. The only thing to be careful of is to not lose the ball bearing and little spring underneath it.

It will definitely ping off, never to be seen again, if you're not careful with it.

To get it to close, you have to apply a sharp, gentle, blow (hammer will do) to the short metal rod that pokes out the top of the wedge part. This releases the sprung shaft which locks it into the receiver slot.

Hope this helps. Nothing controversial here, I hope, Mods? Whistle

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #15882076th Jan 2016 10:24 am
Leesy id

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hi pal, I took the tow bar out and took the lock off, now when I took the lock off I decided to have a look inside the mechanism. The lock was in the open position when I did this my question is when I feed the long metal shaft through there is a little like step on the inside. Do I sit it back into this oldies is click in when you re insert the tow at? Obviously I'm putting a new lock on first obesity ached

This post has been edited by the site administration team: photos showing lock removal deleted

Post #15886546th Jan 2016 11:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >