DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Defender to Disco advice wanted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Gaz1336

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 3
Defender to Disco advice wanted

Hi everyone!

I'm after a bit of advice. I'm considering buying a Disco3 as I want something a little more comfortable. I currently drive a TD5 90 which I like but I'm finding a bit tiring due to some health problems.

I decided if I'm going to get a Disco3 I may as well go the whole hog and go HSE with an auto box. There are a few questions that I have that I hope you can help me with. All of the HSE models I've seen come with 19" wheels with a very limited selection of AT or MT tyres would I be able to fit 17" or 18" wheels and use the correct size tyres without any issues?

Besides the oil pump and cambelt issue what else should I look for? The age will be from 2004 to 2006.

I'll be using the Disco for driving to work, volunteer response work and touring. I've read mixed things about the fuel economy I currently get 28MPG from the defender is the Disco 3 around the same?

The rear diff locker was an optional extra if this wasn't fitted how does the 4x4 system differ to something like a Freelander 2 with terrain response besides the extra rock crawl mode.

Thanks. Smile

Post #15885806th Jan 2016 9:53 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome.

No issues fitting either 17' or 18' inch wheels and tyres, although if the V8 brake upgrade has been fitted, that will rule out 17' wheels.

On the year you are looking at, oil pump should not be an issue and the belts should have been done several years ago, if there is no record of this walk away.

Terrain response will cover most off road situations and some inclement weather situations on road.

You'll think you've upgraded to a Rolls driving a D3 after a defender Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #15885956th Jan 2016 10:22 pm
mz mini

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

We swapped from Defender to Disco 3 you will not regret it Thumbs Up
 Land Rover 90 - deceased Sad
Discovery 3 - deceased Sad
Discovery 4 2013
Mini Cooper S 1964 Mk1 - International Rally winner red & white
Mini Cooper s 1964 Mk1 - Road Rally champion green & white
Mini Cooper S 1971 Mk3 - original and unrestored Smile
Porsche 911 997
Porsche Boxster 3.4S
VW Polo 1.2
Citroen Xsara Picasso - shed/run around 

Post #15885996th Jan 2016 10:26 pm
Pelyma

England 

This is a good one! http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic139062.html
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #15886166th Jan 2016 10:39 pm
Gaz1336

A shameless plug there Pelyma. Razz Laughing

Thanks for the info so far guys. I know the Disco3 will bring about a new set of problems over the defender but in my opinion it'll be worth it for the extra functionality it will bring.

Post #15886256th Jan 2016 10:47 pm
Landy_andy

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I've just swapped across from Def to D3, and am loving it at the moment.

Don't get to fixed oh HSE. Unless you are certain you want the glass roof, (we all know how good LR with sealing glass Whistle Whistle ) some SE's are spec'd to the same/very high level. My SE is only missing a few items off a HSE, and some of them I think are pointless.

Andy

Post #15886687th Jan 2016 12:46 am
Gaz1336

Oh I thought the glass roof was optional, so all HSE's come with the glass roof?

I've seen a few on Autotrader with a glass roof but not everyone photographs the top of the car. Laughing

Good point about the SE's they do have the advantage of the 18" alloys too which should mean cheaper tyres.

I do have another question are all of the seats able to fold flat in the back I've seen pictures where they are and others where they are not completely flat.

Post #15886737th Jan 2016 12:55 am
zinke

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've gone from a TD5 90 (sound proofed, XS seats etc) to a S spec D3 manual. I love the disco but doesn't quite have to same soul as the defender. My D3 is doing slightly better mpg than the defender did and I tend to go 10mph faster everywhere (e.g. 70 instead of 60 on motorways). It warms up much quicker, is much more comfy, handles my selection of trailers just as well.

I think the D3 is just as much fun to play with as a defender but you need slightly more tools to fix it, but with a good workshop and a nanocom or equivalent most things are possible. There's defiantly more useable mods for a D3 that don't change the car too much.

The only thing I would say is I wouldn't go for a auto after a defender, especially if you enjoyed driving the defender, I find the autos a bit too disconnected to drive, but this is a personal preference.

Pete.
 IID, webasto software and workshop facility's available.  
Post #15886747th Jan 2016 1:04 am
les-goose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have gone from a D2 to the D3 and its so much better more room for kids in back bigger boot smoother and better drive. I looked at and walked away from a few before I got this one its the SE spec so no Land Rover shower unit fitted in the roof but got everything else you would want. Things to know when did the belts get changed also you can now go on DVLA web site and get the MOT history up this will show all the fails etc and lets say 2 year ago it failed on front bushes or what ever you know they will have been done or if its an advice then know that shortly it will need doing.

Post #15886967th Jan 2016 6:53 am
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Assuming the seats are the same in all models (mine is an HSE) then yes, they drop in two stages, fold backs, which leaves a stepped floor, pull strap underneath and they drop to form a flat load area. Outer two also fold in the conventional manner to allow access to the third row seats.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #15887007th Jan 2016 7:51 am
Naks

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I also bought a Disco in October, commuting in the 90 was just becoming a bit too painful with a new job that requires travel to clients.

You won't regret it, but if you can stretch your budget a bit, go for a D4 SDV6? In the beginning I was also looking at the D3, but the issues with the 2.7 TDV6 and the dated interior convinced me to go for the D4.

Go for an SE (I couldn't stomach the extra R50K just for some added bling), and make sure it has the rear e-diff.
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/22l8YHh
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/2iH7jgG 

Post #15887017th Jan 2016 8:04 am
Landy_andy

All the seats in all the models fold completely flat in the floor if want.

All HSE come with glass roofs, other models don't. (remember this is LR so may vary)

My recent purchase

Post #15887187th Jan 2016 9:33 am
Pelyma

England 

HSE seats are more adjustable than the SE ones. The rear diff lock equipped cars don't go places that non equipped cars won't, they just do it more easily.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #15887377th Jan 2016 10:37 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Defender to Disco advice wanted

Gaz1336 wrote:
Hi everyone!

Welcome!

Quote:
I'm after a bit of advice. I'm considering buying a Disco3 as I want something a little more comfortable. I currently drive a TD5 90 which I like but I'm finding a bit tiring due to some health problems.

I decided if I'm going to get a Disco3 I may as well go the whole hog and go HSE with an auto box. There are a few questions that I have that I hope you can help me with. All of the HSE models I've seen come with 19" wheels with a very limited selection of AT or MT tyres would I be able to fit 17" or 18" wheels and use the correct size tyres without any issues?

As said above, you can fit 17" or 18" wheels with the standard brakes. The V8 upgrade, should it happen to have had it or if you would like to fit it, requires 18" wheels minimum. Your best bet is probably to get a second set of wheels for mud tyres anyway, and not worry about which the car comes with. While you're there, it is recommended to ditch the locking wheel nuts - they break causing great trouble... Thumbs Up

Quote:
Besides the oil pump and cambelt issue what else should I look for? The age will be from 2004 to 2006.

There are many things to learn, so best to get searching. One important thing is to make sure the transmission is nice and smooth. If high-ish mileage, it's essential that it's been serviced to prolong it's life, otherwise they are very strong and excellent transmissions. As a heavy vehicle, suspension bushes wear often features heavily, and can become quite costly, so bear this in mind. RRS bushes for better life and a slightly firmer ride without losing the comfort. Wink

Quote:
I'll be using the Disco for driving to work, volunteer response work and touring. I've read mixed things about the fuel economy I currently get 28MPG from the defender is the Disco 3 around the same?

Low to high 20s would be a normal average for a D3, according to the mix of driving. The MPG display will over-read. Big Cry

Quote:
The rear diff locker was an optional extra if this wasn't fitted how does the 4x4 system differ to something like a Freelander 2 with terrain response besides the extra rock crawl mode.

Thanks. Smile

The FL2 has a Haldex coupling, so is part-time 4WD, though it can react very quickly. The D3 is permanent 4WD and the transfer box includes a locking centre diff (automatically controlled) and, naturally, offers low range too. The rear locker is a bonus, but so long as you have a centre locker, loss of traction on one wheel will not lose you all traction - it removes the all or nothing nature of an open drivetrain. Thumbs Up

Good luck and enjoy! Smile
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #15887587th Jan 2016 11:32 am
Landy_andy

Pelyma wrote:
HSE seats are more adjustable than the SE ones.

In what way please?

Mine go back, forward, up down back, up down front, lumber support, and have 3 memory settings. What do HSE ones do?

Andy.

Post #15888907th Jan 2016 5:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >