DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rumble at highway speed, load related
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sulevi

Finland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Rumble at highway speed, load related

Hi!
I'm new on this forum. My 2008 Disco3 automatic has had a load dependent rumbling noise for the last 40k kms. At highway speed 100 km/h (62 mph) the car is on 6th gear at 1750 rpm, which is about the lower limit of max torque range. In the beginning 1,5 years ago, while keeping the cruise control on a low frequency rumble appeared when there was even a slight increase in load such as an uphill. There is also a vibration which comes through the steering wheel, panels, seats, everything. When the cruise control was put off or accelerator eased, the rumble disappeared. Both front bearings were already changed shortly before this phenomenon appeared. I have complained about this at the local LR dealer service several times, but they do not have an answer. For the last 1,5 years/400000 kms the rumble has got slowly worse. Now it annoys also at even surface at 100 km/h and can be heard also at 80 km/h (5th gear, 1750 rpm) under load like uphill or towing a loaded trailer.
Somehow this rumble and vibration resembles the situation, when you load an engine at too high a gear (manual transmission). It was never heard of felt when the car was younger. Now it has 160 000 kms in it, so the problem has worsened very slowly.
New tires did not solve the problem
At the garage they say there is nothing wrong with bearings.

Can you help me? Is it an engine problem? A gear box problem? A differential or other transmission problem?

Last edited by Sulevi on 3rd Jan 2016 9:57 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #15862782nd Jan 2016 8:40 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'd be checking the rear propshaft support bearing rubber. These fail allowing the propshaft to run out of balance. I was working on a 75K miles D3 recently and noticed it's bearing had failed so they don't last very long.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #15862872nd Jan 2016 8:58 pm
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have exactly the same problem and have spent thousands trying to resolve it. I'm now lead to believe it's the transmission and torque converter. So I'm now saving for a transmission refurbishment.
Hope this helps
Dave.

Post #15869534th Jan 2016 1:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Greg9504

Canada 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

I've only owned my LR3 for 11 months, and over Christmas finally used it for a long distance trip where I used the cruise control and I noticed the same "drone" and vibration (cruise set at 120 km/h). But it only seemed to be when the cruise control was on. If I applied more throttle or disengaged the cruise control the drone and vibration went away. Does your problem happen only when using the cruise control? I have just under 180k km on mine.

Dave - what have you replaced trying to fix the problem?
Thanks
 2006 SE 4.0 V6 with rear locker  
Post #15869564th Jan 2016 3:52 am
snailcove

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had a strange one with my disco last week ,it was an intermittent vibration at 60mph that felt like the drive train ,it turned out to be a rear caliper that was starting to seze up ,the handling wasnt great with it either,I was going to let it develop as I thought it was a bearing or the wishbones as they are needing changed ,just a thought Thumbs Up

Post #15870104th Jan 2016 11:33 am
Sulevi

d.lundigan wrote:
I have exactly the same problem and have spent thousands trying to resolve it. I'm now lead to believe it's the transmission and torque converter. So I'm now saving for a transmission refurbishment.
Hope this helps
Dave.

I've been thinking the same myself, although I'm not an engineer of any kind myself. Actually, occasionally I have noticed slight up and down movement of the tachometer needle when driving at constant speed having the cruise control on. With 100% torgue converter lock on at flat highway driving such thing should not happen, right? Perhaps the torgue converter lock is breaking down (=€€€€)?
I can hear the rumble also when driving without cruise control, mainly when accelerating (without kick down).

Post #15871334th Jan 2016 4:09 pm
c2c

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Good morning all,

I wonder if the OP could confirm the outcome of this thread, as I have exactly the same symptoms that have recently appeared (in the last 2-3000kms). I pretty sure that it's not gearbox/torque converter related, since I had the gear box dropped, flushed, some gears replaced, and a new torque converter installed about 60k kms ago.

Any insights gratefully received.

Thanks

Post #177139030th Jan 2017 10:38 am
Sulevi

Hi!
My problem has been solved. The rumble was a caused by a faulty torque converter lock. A new turbine and lock up system was installed. Now my Disco runs as smooth as ever.
Authorized LR service could not tell me for two years what's wrong. Then I found an independent garage, whose owner was told to be a Land Rover expert. First he asked me on the phone, if the tach needle is restless at steady speed, what was true. He said it must be the torque converter lock. I took my Disco3 to his shop. He did a test drive and told me he's sure it is the lock. The turbine/lock assembly was replaced and now my car runs like a new one.
Repair cost (parts + work) was less than 900€.

Post #177168030th Jan 2017 8:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >