Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

The single biggest issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
The single biggest issue

I've been looking at a number of posts regarding the Disco Sport and am becoming increasingly concerned by its build quality, recalls and the fact so many drivers seem to be returning/changing cars after a short period of time.

Land Rovers have never been known as the most reliable cars (please don't get me wrong, am a huge fan) but an alarm bell seems to be ringing with regards to the DS.

In terms of the D4 what is the most common issue/fault and how easy is it to remedy?

Post #15865763rd Jan 2016 2:39 pm
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

I find the biggest problem with the D4 is my face aches from the constant ear to ear grin that it induces Very Happy

Five years old now, been all over Europe solo and towing a heavy Airstream Travel Trailer and no problems Thumbs Up

Normally I would not keep a car for more than five years but the D4 will stay for a while longer yet. Smile
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #15865843rd Jan 2016 2:56 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I have only driven a so Discovery Sport for a short while.

It's badged as a Discovery and is based on Evoque running gear, certainly no replacement for the Freelander 2, & badging it as a Discovery should be reported to the ASA.

Not for me; I'll keep my D4 for a while then move to a D4.

NJDD
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #15865873rd Jan 2016 3:02 pm
J77

Scotland 

I've been down the Disco Sport route, it ain't great.

Can't fault any of my LRs in terms of reliability, my 1st D3 left me stranded at the side of the road but one out of 8 ain't bad.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #15866323rd Jan 2016 4:34 pm
SN

I've not driven one so can't comment on the ride/capabilities but for me its just sooooooooo small.

Bizarrely at the weekend I parked the new truck nose to nose with a Disco 3 - similar sized beasts
And then next step next to a Disco Sport - its just so small

And given a £40K starting price for a decent spec one....
.... its the very high bottom rung of a ladder that's going skyward...

The new Defender best be good, that's all I'm going to say! Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #15866333rd Jan 2016 4:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J77

Scotland 

One thing I will say about the DS is its small on the outside but spacious on the inside, if they made it a bit more squared of at the rear it would be a bit more practical.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #15866443rd Jan 2016 5:08 pm
en48

United Kingdom 

I had a poverty spec one for a week as a loan car. The seats were uncomfy, it was noisy, it was a manual (which I just didn't seem to get on with) and the fuel economy was 'disappointing'. I was glad to see the back of it, and getting back in my D4 was a dream.

However, a friend of mine has a top of the range one - and I like it. It suits his needs - he didn't want something as big as the D4. The seats are way more comfy, it seems better soundproofed, the auto is smooth and it seems to move well. Having sat in the back, I'm impressed with the legroom and I like the full length glass panel - which you don't really benefit from sitting in the front!

It has let him down once - completely flat battery one morning. LRA flashed some new software, and its been as good as gold since. The build quality seems good though - it feels well put together to me.

I love my D4, and I think its the better all round vehicle, but I do see why some people would be better off / prefer the DS...

Post #15866473rd Jan 2016 5:17 pm
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Thanks very much for the useful comments.

Post #15868513rd Jan 2016 9:53 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It's always a good thing to keep in mind that the ones that rush to the keyboard to write about their new vehicle are generally the ones who have something to write about - namely when it's gone wrong. It's not always easy therefore to judge reliability from that.

So looking at sites such as this one but perhaps more so others, you will get a skewed view of a vehicle's reliability. Of course they are a mine of information about what might go wrong, what to look for if buying and hints and tips to fix things.

I had an intermittent fault with the alarm going off at odd times on my D4. A quick squint through this site and I realised it would likely be the bonnet catch, with information on how to fix it, I isolated that, thus temporarily solving the problem until I got around to getting a replacement part.

But I digress....

Post #15869324th Jan 2016 12:08 am
Basajuan

Spain 

I have had a DS HSE for 3 months now, as my work vehicle. I have been on a couple of descent length business trips and find it a pleasure to drive with passable fuel economy on the highway. I would have preferred a D4 in order to have more cargo space, but the same spec D4 was significantly more expensive in every way ( purchase price, fuel economy, insurance).The off road capability of the DS is sufficient for my needs, where essentially I have to access work sites from unsealed roads in rural locations.
My previous work vehicle was a Honda CRV, so as a point of comparison the LR DS is a much better vehicle and interestingly I am achieving better fuel economy.
The build quality is generally pretty good, but I find a bit of play in the plastic dash joinery which tends to creak a bit (something I find pretty annoying). Something I would not have expected on a high end vehicle.
There is a bit of a lag, at times, changing up gears from a standing start, which I control by being very gentle accelerating off the mark, but it caught me off guard initially at times when I needed accelerate quickly.
Some of the electronic features, I have found to be a bit useless, such as the auto dim feature on the high beam. I does not react fast enough to oncoming traffic...or will switch off due to the reflection from signage etc. None of these features are particularly important to me, so I have simply disabled them.
In summary, as with all things it depends what you intend to use the vehicle for. If I was looking for an outstanding off road vehicle that can also get me there in style and comfort with large cargo capacity, then the D4 is the perfect vehicle. In my case, running costs were more important priority, so the DS I hope will suit my needs better.

Post #15900249th Jan 2016 5:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >