DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Pioneer SPH-DA120 installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
two3seven

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Finished installation

Hi all,

As promised, here are a couple of pics and a run down of the installation.

I booked it into my local Halfords store and popped in on Monday to get it done. It took them 3 hours. And I had already done most of the cable placement!

They had a number of issues, but a few were supposedly down to both of the ISO harnesses I bought (from 2 different suppliers) being 'low quality'. Apparently they had to do a bit of rewiring and skirting around as the connectors kept losing connection.

Eventually, they managed to get it up and running and they moved on to the fit... and one huge issue.

Technically, the unit is too long for the space.

There is a lip inside, which you can feel by sliding your hand inside along the bottom of the cage. It sits proud about 3-5 mm and means that the unit won't go all the way in.

It didn't seem to be structural in anyway, so they, after consulting me, cut out / removed a section of the plastic frame work inside - around 3 cm x the full width of the opening. From what I remember, it had two screw holes in it too.

Once removed, the unit fit nicely with plenty of space at the rear for all the cabling. What I will say at this point, is that I am now wondering if with a little jiggery pokery, you could get it to slide up over the lip. But I'll leave that for you to try.

They also installed the face plate I had purchased and it sits a little proud, but I didn't notice until he pointed it out to me.

Cable wise, I ran the GPS unit out into the rear of the lower glove box, up the side and onto the front dash. The mic went the other way and is clipped onto my indicator lever. Plus I have two USB cables and an AUX cable running out between the two 12v sockets under the heating system. I'll probably go back in and tidy these up a little more over the coming weeks, but they work for now.

The unit itself is quite frankly, awesome. You have to use the USB cable with your phone in order to use CarPlay, but you can also connect using Bluetooth or Aux if you just want to play your audio. Bluetooth connection was quick and easy. It also has standard radio connection should that be your thing. Sound quality is great and the unit has a number of equaliser functions for you to fine tune to your liking.

The interface, once you get into the swing is pretty easy to use, especially the CarPlay apps. A lot of them use Siri for voice commands too. Navigation wise, you are forced into using Apple Maps, which I'm not a fan of due to the time at which it prompts you to turn - normally about 30 cm from the junction. I'm also not convinced that the display's position is great for quickly looking at the map. But, only time will tell.

Overall, I'm very happy. And thanks must go to the Halford's team for sorting out the installation. Because without them, it would still be sitting in a box on my kitchen floor!

Post #158490730th Dec 2015 8:15 pm
RandomKamikaze

United Kingdom 

That looks awesome.

Good work to both you and (thought I'd never say this) Halfords
 Disco gone Sad  
Post #158492830th Dec 2015 8:44 pm
SN

I've got a Pioneer AVIC-F70 in my new ride - back panel and GUI looks very similar to this except its full width with buttons on very bottom - features look awesome. Have you brought the USB and HDMI sockets out to the front with cables?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)  

Last edited by SN on 31st Dec 2015 5:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #158493630th Dec 2015 8:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
two3seven

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

@SN yes, I used the 2 included usb cables and added an aux cable and have them just sticking out between the 2 cig lighter sockets. Have saved the HDMI for later when I may get a rear cam installed.

Post #158495430th Dec 2015 9:21 pm
SN

So it turns out I have an AVIC-F70DAB (which means ANDROID AUTO Thumbs Up ) and both USB's are already fed out into the Cubby - looking forward to seeing if I can get MMTracker (MemoryMap clone) straight onto the big screen - I will have to get to the back of the unit to get an AV cable through from my Blackvue though

Here's the youtube link for the (allegedly standard) Pioneer Motion Bypass hack to allow AV stuff 'on the move' that might be of use to you! Thumbs Up

&feature=youtu.be
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #158535231st Dec 2015 5:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Stage 1 complete, Android Auto! 8)
Click image to enlarge

MMTracker was but one Launcher App away from running (through MirrorLink) when I took this photo

But essentially you end up with your phone screen (and associated touch functionality) transplanted to the SatNav screen...
Post #15889057th Jan 2016 5:40 pm
SN

Witchcraft I tell thee... witchcraft!

Click image to enlarge
Post #15890197th Jan 2016 9:36 pm
Rattlehead

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Completely jealous right now.

I've always installed upgraded stereos myself and never found it too difficult. However, having read some of the advice on here regarding the Harman Kardon sound system which I have in my D3, I thought I'd be out of my depth and decided to find an installer.

Failing miserably to find anyone local who seemed capable, I eventually ended up at a local Halfords - they had the Pioneer unit in stock but told me they would need to order the fascia surround. The first thing I said to them was about the HK upgrade but they insisted they'd done it before and it wouldn't be a problem. They also said I didn't need an additional adapter to retain steering wheel controls. I booked my car in five days later to allow time for the fascia to arrive and for the qualified fitter to be available.

Turned up to my appointment, took the fitter to the car to show him where I wanted the iPhone connection - double checked he knew what he was doing re the HK system and he insisted he did. Casually double checked that the steering controls would still work and was told no, they wouldn't. Turns out his colleague was wrong and a further adapter was required. Course, it wasn't in stock and would take five working days to get hold of. Unhappy, but feeling I had little choice, I rebooked for today.

Soooo. Took the car in as arranged. Was told to Censored off for two hours (not the 45 minutes I had previously been advised) so walked in to town and bought LRW and a coffee. Phone rings. Halfords. Fitter says he's taken the factory unit out and can't fit the new one as it's non standard wiring.

Angry is an understatement. They fobbed me off with a £20 gift card and a shrug of the shoulders when I pointed out that I'm self employed and this has cost me hours and hours. Halfords Bromsgrove; utterly useless and to be avoided at all costs.

If anybody can suggest someone in Worcestershire/West Mids/Warwickshire/Any sodding where close who is actually capable of supplying and fitting a double din head unit with Apple Car Play I'd be so grateful they can have the £20 gift card as long as they sign a waiver to say they won't prosecute me if whatever they buy with it turns out to be completely unfit for purpose.

Post #15897318th Jan 2016 11:38 pm
SN

Now you see I was feeling all sorry for you reading that post until you outed yourself as an #applevictim

The Pioneer has so many native treats built in I'm not actually convinced either Android Auto or (pah!) Apple Carplay bring anything extra worth having BUT Mirrorlink as I have it set up is a whole different kettle of fish 8)
Post #15897489th Jan 2016 12:51 am
mortenmol

Denmark 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have had Pioneer 120 in my car since last December, I too had big trouble space wise, but i managed to fit it without any cutting.
I'm happy with it, bar I haven't gotten the steeringwheel controls do work, have you?
Where did you fit the mic?
Br,
Morten
 2007 D3 2.7 SE Automatic  
Post #159041010th Jan 2016 3:48 pm
rocketronnie

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Snap!

Post #159042110th Jan 2016 4:15 pm
Roberto

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Does anyone knows if this update can be done to a D3 with Harmon Kardon system?
I've called a few places and I'm getting mix answers, some claim they can do it for £2K all inclusive and others say It just Can't be done so I'm a bit confuse...

Post #159236313th Jan 2016 5:45 pm
Rattlehead

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

£2K??? Sheesh.

Just paid a local firm £560 to do my Harmon Kardon D3, that's for all parts and fitting. I can absolutely confirm not only can it be done but that it works and I'm in love with my new set up.

Not sure about site rules re advertising and such like - msg me if you want to know details of the people who did mine. Based in Midlands.

Post #159462517th Jan 2016 4:55 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm sure we would appreciate pics of the install and some info on how they dealt with maintaining the vehicles systems whilst handling a separate head unit .....

Thumbs Up

Post #159465117th Jan 2016 5:42 pm
Disco2700

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I recommend the original Pioneer Kit to fit in the radio.

Just have a look...

Post #159501218th Jan 2016 10:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >