DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Steering Rack Knock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Pwam2008

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 3
Steering Rack Knock

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience with steering knock, just in case others out there can benefit from it Smile

Having had a good read through the forum for 'front end knock' etc. I replaced the lower wishbones, the steering arms and steering column.

With it still knocking I removed the rubber gaiter, and with someone else moving the steering wheel I could see the 'rack' bit moving forwards and backwards within the steering rack assembly coinciding with the knocking/banging noise.

Undeterred I thought I was simply one of the unlucky ones and that my 75K D3 had seen a lot of rough roads (but not muddy ones seemingly?)

I purchased a reconditioned steering rack, installed it and the reconditioned rack has the same (albeit slightly less severe) problem!

Knowing a few others with D3's I can safely say that it isn't common so I've just been unlucky twice in a row... But all I would say is that perhaps as they get older, it can be worth whipping off the gaiter and getting someone to rock the steering back and forth to see if the knock is actually in the rack before replacing lots of other bits.

Time for rack the 3rd (hoping that I can get the reconditioned rack replaced under warranty) and hopefully that'll be the end of the steering fun.

Shame that the alternator just caught fire and that I just realised that the cam belt needs doing (80k but 8 years old!). Any suggestions for a good/nicely priced cam belt replacement in the Bristol area much appreciated.

Gotta love them for those few days a year they work though.

Post #156790726th Nov 2015 10:12 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting. Ive had a recon rack on mine kast year and its knocking again now Censored Thumbs Up

Post #156797027th Nov 2015 12:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
obz100

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

One thing at least they couldn't be easier to replace ! I replaced mine last month after the indie incorrectly diagnosed a worn inner rod. I pulled back the gaiter and had my 6 year old daughter rock the steering wheel , sure enough a slight knocking from rack. I purchased a genuine remanufactured replacement from advanced factors so has a good warranty, here's hoping I won't need it!

Post #156802027th Nov 2015 9:12 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 
Re: Steering Rack Knock

Pwam2008 wrote:
Gotta love them for those few days a year they work though.

Confused

In my case, that would be a grand total of ~3165 days since I bought it new. It has let me down on only three occasions since:

Once when I had to get LRA out to deal with a squealing EPB outside my house.
Once when the EGR valves failed on me a few miles from home (now blanked so no longer an issue).
Once when my alternator failed a few miles from home (was able to drive home and replace it the same day, thanks to Advanced Factors).

Use them and look after them and they will generally serve you well. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #156802527th Nov 2015 9:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >