Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Is the D3 a ticking time bomb?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Is the D3 a ticking time bomb?

Ok so today I did a round trip in my trusty D2 TD5 2001 Commercial of 400 miles. I never worry when I get in and turn the key and in 15 years of travelling the UK and off road in Africa (they) never let me down with regular servicing (done by myself).

The luxury and ride on a test drive converted me to move up from the D2 this year, however I always feel what is the next noise or bong that is going to come next. The various threads on this forum and the 4x4 forum in SA leaves me thinking what is the next expensive bill going to be. So the question is the D3 generally a ticking time bomb or just the unlucky ones built on a Friday afternoon?

As an Engineer I know that the drive train should be solid as they are all made by Teir 1 suppliers with MTBF figures calculated accordingly- but plenty of snapped tensioners, snapped crankshafts and gearbox replacements are reported - oh and I nearly forgot the differentials front and rear.

The EPB and compressor I can forgive as this was a leap of faith and can be fixed...

So the big question is can I feel confident that my crankshaft is not going to snap next time I do a 400 mile round trip Confused

Anyone out there bought second hand >80k miles without any of the costly reported problems above and managed say 50k miles without major incident or left stranded roadside... or do we just see the Friday afternoon incidents reported in sheer desperation/frustration due to the cost.. Question
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #154462514th Oct 2015 3:44 pm
Discogaz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I bought an 85k miler 18 months ago and am sitting on 108k now. EGR's failed, big turbo pipe split and am waiting for funds to get modulators fitted. I know that I need front arms as the bushings knock but that aside, it's all been pretty good.

Had my D2 for 160k miles and it let me down precisely 3 times in 12 years, 1 airbag, one compressor and oil in FI loom. All fixed without drama and not a whole lot of cost. All other expenses were mods of my choosing so not technically upkeep.

I think once you get into Landrovers, you accept that it's not just transport and more of a hobby so don't begrudge the cost of keeping them on the road - that's probably why a lot of owners keep them for so long rather than change every two or three years.

If I do have moments where I fancy a change, it's usually which newer Landrover do I choose but looking at the latest stuff, I can't see me getting anything more modern anytime soon.

Maybe get a pristine D2 to play with when retirement becons.

Gary

Post #154466114th Oct 2015 4:54 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I bought an 06 se with 80thou now at 110th I do a regular 1,500 round trip,the arms and belts were done by the garage I bought it from before I would accept the purchase I change the oil at 10,000th and filter obviously, it developed the judder at about 95 even though the service book said the oil had been changed at 75th(the garage pointed that out to me as having being done before they took it in)I decided to have DiscoMikey do a flush and he was honest enough to tell me a flush may not cure the judder but I was glad he did it because the box had the wrong oil in it! So flush and DrTranny cured that, and here maybe lies the problem that servicing is not always done correctly If wrong oils are used engine filter not located correctly this in particular seems to be the killer of most engines especially if they have been getting late oil changes as well. Arm changes without having four wheel tracking done is another cheapskate trick and even four wheel tracking done to cover bush failure for a short period at the point of sale all seem to happen,I have upgraded to V8 brakes and put new shoes etc into EPB if you follow Bodsys brake bible and also regularly adjust it it does not cause bother, it had one front wheel bearing at point of sale and I have since done the other when a grumble became apparent, I also run a coiler with manual transmission which is also worked hard, I just love them, as mentioned on here there are a lot out there that have done 350,000miles but on a forum you get a condensed version of ills and not much good news just the same as watching the TV news! There are a lot out there all running fine. So have trust. My wife runs our D2 now, and I have a 110 station wagon for work I service all four apart from the flush.

Post #154467714th Oct 2015 5:33 pm
Rich84

Australia 

Bought my 08MY RRS TDV6 at 157K km, now at 238K km.
Replaced:
-alternator + battery
-timing belt + oil pump
-suspension compressor
-all brakes

Needs doing:
-engine has a tick somewhere when cold, maybe an injector seal, haven't had time to strip it back
-front lower arms and ARB bushes
-new front shocks
-just started the famous TC shudder under heavy load at low RPM with TC locked, so hopefully a full flush + dr Tranny will cure that, otherwise it's a new TC too.

Nothing serious really. Had spent much more $$$ on my B5 S4 replacing turbos, sensors etc with less km than this.
 2008 RRS TDV6 - Chawton White/Black/Lined Oak - 20's, h/k, sunroof - 350K KM.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T S-Line - Phamtom Black/exclusive 2-tone valcona 184K
2000 Audi A4 avant 1.8t Q Sport - Phantom Black/black 385K KM
1990 Nissan Pintara TRX - red - lots of mods - 439K KM 

Post #154494315th Oct 2015 12:41 am
DDDad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If the Discovery 3 was a ticking time bomb, I wouldn't rely on it to go off! Laughing

You know how car manufacturers refine-out the reliability problems from their models as they age? Land Rover don't do that. Every car's a Friday car at Land Rover! Laughing

The 2009 D3s have turned out to be no more reliable than the 2004 ones; and the Evoque and D4 are falling down the reliability tables just as fast as the D3 did when it was released.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic133201.html

To be fair, we've owned ours from new and - in six years - it has never left us stranded. There has hardly been a day, however, when it wasn't needing a recall or a repair, despite (or because of) only doing 6k miles pa! They don't like standing around wet, apparently. Rolling Eyes Nor do they enjoy salt being put on the roads in the winter. Rolling Eyes Nor being near the sea. Rolling Eyes I'm glad we have a second car so we can get to work on the days the Disco is in my garage, mid-way through the next DIY fix. You'll need to take out a second mortgage if you use a dealer and don't do the repairs yourself. Rolling Eyes Best tow-car on Earth. Fantastic design but poor quality. Thumbs Up
 Went for a job as a human cannonball. Not the right calibre.  
Post #154495115th Oct 2015 1:47 am
Dave T

England 

To try and add some balance, my D3 was very good over the 100K miles I did, it was the dealer that cost me a fortune through incompetance, and my D4 in 40k miles has needed next to nothing. Suspension and brakes are always going to take a hammering on a car weighing almost three tons and quite often towing large loads.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #154497115th Oct 2015 7:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

10 years with my D3/D4 and never left stranded. My D4 has had 2 warranty repairs - one screw head that had some rust and a squished bit of foam - both replaced. The only other work has been an update to gearbox software.

Not exactly a tale of woe.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #154497315th Oct 2015 7:26 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have had 3 D2's one from new that I swapped after 11 months because of reliability, the second was ok the third had done 40k when I bought it mainly for towing and it was diabolical, after 12 months and a spending a fortune on it I sold simply because no one could solve the problems with it. My present D3 I have had for eleven years in December has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned and yes they are expensive to repair and the thought of some components failing frightening, no cars are cheap to repair or maintain especially if you go to main agents. I think it is all down to Lady Luck and mine may have run out now I have said this.
I have been asked many times why I don't change it, my answer is what for there is nothing out there that is better for my purpose. I think D3's with 80k+ miles can be more reliable than when new, you just haven't got the warranty back up.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #154498115th Oct 2015 7:48 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

MY2008 with 62k when purchased back in Oct 2013 and now 95k. It has never left me stranded (well one flat battery meaning new battery and once jump started) and every time I've wanted to go somewhere and come back it has delivered. This has included several 8+ hour drives to Scotland and very many long drives around the country.

Yes, I've actually spent a stack of money on her and adding up all the costs (inc insurance, tax etc) she is costing me around 45p a mile to run Shocked

BUT........Love her to bits, would find it really, really hard to change her for anything else.

The potential possibility of having to return to the office permanently may cause me some serious soul searching as an extra 200 miles a week would be really hard to afford, but fingers crossed that won't happen Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #154498715th Oct 2015 7:58 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I had a V8 D2, and it was a disaster! It needed a new engine after only 90k miles. Two radiators, leaking through both sunroofs. Bits falling off.

I have had 2 x D3's and am now on a D4. In @300k milesOnly ever been on recovery once, and called out LRA about 4 times with sticking brakes on the 4, and EPB and flat battery on the 3's.

Don't get me wrong, There has been plenty of maintenance, on most of the common issues, but never had an engine problem. Gearbox issues would have been prevented by oil changes earlier than I did them. None needed a new gearbox or TC, they just got the judders.

Never had a diff problem, or a driveshaft, or injectors, or compressor. I have had suspension errors in the early days, solved by software fix.

In my opinion, its a very sound vehicle in the grand scheme of things. Maintenance however, needs to be fastidious. Don't just put fuel in and drive. Whilst there will always be exceptions, look after it and it will look after you.

Post #154499415th Oct 2015 8:38 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Only time my D3 has actually broken down was a bust CV joint, and it happened at the end of my road! Never had a breakdown with my previous D3 either. Thumbs Up

There may be the odd ticking bomb in the D3, but the forum is the bomb disposal team. Wink
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #154499815th Oct 2015 8:51 am
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Great responses Guy's thanks... sanity is starting to prevail for me from these posts. Lost for words statement is a great one about the forum being the bomb disposal. Will be travelling across Southern Africa next year so want to make sure that my head is in the right place so I can sleep at night that I am not going to be stranded in the bush somewhere!!

I normally undertake all work myself not due to cost but assurance that the job is done correctly. On all my previous D2's issues were actually caused by main dealers not doing the job properly prior to my ownership, they all had MD service history.

So as I prepare to go down South for the winter I am preparing the following work with parts in suitcase already for the two D3's:-

New Silica Gel for compressor
Timing belt kit & new OEM oil pump (Citroen £117.00) - my D3
New key fob covers and batteries for both

Anything else I should take/check? - I have a Nanocom already

Work undertaken earlier this year

My Car

Wishbones
OEM standard oils replaced in the drive trains
Rear axle replaced (cost funded by dealer)

SWAMBO

TC lock up judder fixed with OEM oil change and DR Tranny - still has the metallic rasp on light throttle (cost funded by dealer)

Please keep the responses coming...
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #154500915th Oct 2015 9:47 am
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bought mine @ 65K miles, now on 99K.

The only breakdown / flat bed requirement I've had was self inflicted - cocked up the suspension calibration, typical of me to fiddle about when I had a spare 1/2 hour; we were 100 miles from home. Whistle

SWMBO used it to her advantage for at least a month Laughing

Steve
Thumbs Up

Post #154501015th Oct 2015 9:47 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

A couple of the correct fuel filters would be essential. Brake light switch and correct LR bulbs. Finally, an array of jubilee clips, a largish piece of rubber material for temp hose repairs, cable ties and black nasty are always in my car.
 PAGODA  
Post #154504315th Oct 2015 11:18 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

At least when it's ticking you know she's working. When you can hear the ticking be afraid, be very afraid. Thumbs Up

Post #154509415th Oct 2015 2:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >