Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Re Route USB connection to centre console?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re Route USB connection to centre console?

Guys

I have had the car for 24hrs now and i'm just not getting on with the media USB port being in the upper glove box. I want to re route it to the centre cubby box area like it used to be. Ive wiggled the connector panel in the glove box and can see it will pop out and can feel the wires moving behind it if i put my hand up from behind the lower glove box.

Im thinking ill just pop it out and run a usb cable behind the dash, through the gearbox tunnel to the cubby area. Has anyone else done this? wondering if I'm missing an obvious alternate solution before i start popping trim. There is a rear USB connector but i can't get it to behave like the front one with my iPhone.

Any advice or alternate ideas welcome.

R
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #15235932nd Sep 2015 5:13 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I lasted about two weeks, then bought a long ipod lead. Drilled a small hole in top glove box and threaded it though, round the back of the glove box and tucked it up the side of the centre console. It comes up beside the cup holders, and I put a small cable tie round it and jam the 'tail' into the gap in the plastic by the cup holder. This gives me some flexibility on where to put the phone, and stops the wire disappearing down the side of the passenger seat.

I then either rest the phone over the top of the TR dials, or in the cupholder (the phone is in a leather wallet thing). Putting it in the wallet thing has also meant I have broken the habit of glancing at the screen when the phone bings and bongs.

I find it a really good solution, quick to use. The only refinement would be to route the cable up through a small hole perhaps in the coin tray thing to the left of the gear lever, so the cable could be coiled up neatly when parked.
 TDV6 HSE Lux (2014MY)
TDV6 HSE (2006MY - owned for 9 years and 150,000! - now replaced)
Mini Cooper SD 5 door
TVR Chimaera 450
Series II 1960 Diesel 

Post #152753510th Sep 2015 11:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >