Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Tapping/ticking Noise when cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rich84

Australia 
Tapping/ticking Noise when cold

Hi guys, I've just started noticing my 2.7 TDV6 RRS making a loudish tapping noise when idling and up to about 2000rpm when cold. Big Cry It seems to quieten down when the engine's warmed up. I've traced the noise down to approximately around the passenger side cylinder head. Sounds very much like a hydraulic lifter. Can be heard down around the passenger front wheel as well.

Engine runs fine apart from this, no issues with idling, performance, economy, etc. The noise is engine speed dependent only. Varying load has no effect on it, which makes me think cam follower issue rather than injectors or heaven forbid, big end problems, but I want your opinions!

Oil level is good, have ran Castrol Edge Titanium 5/30 for the last 40,000km. Always installed the filter with the spigot mounted correctly. New oil pump when the timing belt was done (new design).

Where do I start with this? Could it be an injector issue? How can I test the lifters/rollers?

Or could it be a roller rocker? How common are rocker problems on these cars, actually?
 2008 RRS TDV6 - Chawton White/Black/Lined Oak - 20's, h/k, sunroof - 350K KM.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T S-Line - Phamtom Black/exclusive 2-tone valcona 184K
2000 Audi A4 avant 1.8t Q Sport - Phantom Black/black 385K KM
1990 Nissan Pintara TRX - red - lots of mods - 439K KM 

Last edited by Rich84 on 3rd Aug 2015 2:38 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #150851529th Jul 2015 11:51 am
Rich84

Australia 

I spent a bit of time over the weekend doing the following things to try and chase down this noise:
1. Put injector cleaner in fuel tank, drove about 120km. No change.
2. removed injector plugs on passenger side cylinder bank one at a time. Could not identify a change in the ticking noise, but not 100% certain on this as the engine runs rough on 5 cylinders. If no change, IMO this would rule out: 1. injectors 2. exhaust manifold 3. bottom end/gudgeon pin on that side of the engine.
3. Used a large screwdriver on each injector, the HPFP, EGR, timing cover and rocker covers to try to identify noise sources. Obviously the plastic covers are not a good place to do this, but we did note one of the injectors on the driver side bank did appear slightly louder than the others. The HPFP and EGR seem quiet.
4. Used Nanocom to check the cylinder balances. I must admit I'm not 100% sure how to do this test, but on a coldish engine, after clearing the fault codes from removing injector connectors, all cylinder balances were 1000+-50 at idle after about 5 minutes. I'll do the test next after the car has reached normal operating temp.
4. Changed oil and filter. Noted old filter was installed correctly but did smell slightly like diesel (of course being a diesel I didn't think much of that). This didn't seem to affect the ticking noise.
4. Filled up tank from about 1/3 full with BP Ultimate diesel. The ticking was quieter, but I'm yet to see if it will quieten on a dead cold start.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone had lifter type noise on a TDV6, and if so, what was the resolution?

Post #15105372nd Aug 2015 11:43 pm
Rich84

Australia 

So I've done some more digging and found a post on Disco3club with a video from anglefire...

This is the exact noise my car is making. Thoughts?

Post #15105513rd Aug 2015 2:38 am
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It does sound like tappet noise to me. Maybe you have one leaking down faster than it should.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #15105953rd Aug 2015 9:37 am
dorset3

United Kingdom 

Hi did you ever find out what the ticking was, I've got ticking but don't know whether it's just engine noise

Post #177053728th Jan 2017 4:40 pm
Rich84

Australia 

I haven't gotten to the bottom of it. Was at about 220k that I noticed this. At 268k now. The engine itself runs great, just this tappy noise when cold. It hasn't gotten any worse.

When cold (and tapping) I can smell exhaust around the front of vehicle, particularly in and around the passenger side wheel well, so I'm thinking it's an exhaust leak of some sort perhaps around the turbo or crossover pipe, which seals itself off when everything gets hot enough. It could also be one of the copper washers at the injector bases leaking when cold. There isn't any oily residue on the injectors though.

I haven't had a chance to test that theory yet as if the injector readings are all ok and the noise is not getting any worse, I'm tempted to leave it as is until I finally have to lift the body, and THEN give it a good inspection when I actually have some access to things.

Post #177123629th Jan 2017 10:29 pm
dorset3

United Kingdom 

I'm sure it's fine if it's done another 48k

Post #177123929th Jan 2017 10:34 pm
dorset3

United Kingdom 

I've read a few threads on it being a slight crack in the manifold which goes away when the metal heats up due to expanding which makes sense

Post #177124129th Jan 2017 10:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >