Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Drivers door not unlocking ........ irritating problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MX

United Kingdom 
Drivers door not unlocking ........ irritating problem

Came out to the car today and couldnt get in......the drivers door was locked and would not unlock using the remote. All other doors were ok. Went round and unlocked all doors then locked using remote - still no luck.

Climbed in and found that it wouldnt even open using the handle, nor did the unlock/lock buttons make any difference

Drove to work and climbed out the passenger side then went back out an hour later. Curiously it worked OK and I could not get it to fail (sat there for 10 minutes locking and unlocking the damn thing)

Has anyone experienced this problem and has there been a better response from Landrover than "well if you bring it in there isnt anything we can do if its working".

Advice appreciated!
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #18004120th Jul 2007 10:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FMac

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes - I've also had this. Annoying and worrying until I logged on here and found out the workaround.

If you press the unlock button on the dash at the same time as pulling the unlock lever on the affected door, then you can get out. This at least stops you having to climb in/out from the wrong side.

I managed to temporarily fix it by switching off the silly 'unlock the driver's door only' feature (press and hold lock and unlock buttons on remote for three seconds). This may however have been a coincidence because I had the fault again about a week later.

Not had a problem for over a month. Very Happy

If it gets really frequent, then I'll have to get the dealers to replace the lock etc. There seems to be a couple of permanent 'fixes' i.e. replace/adjust some cable; replace the mechanism. However, seeing as it seems to be intermittent, how do we actually know that either of these has actually fixed it. Confused

You could do a search on here for a more informed reply.

Post #18006820th Jul 2007 11:20 am
SN

this explains why you always park across two parking spaces then Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #18007420th Jul 2007 11:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MX

United Kingdom 

I wouldnt need to if you would stop taking the wide space in yours Evil or Very Mad
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #18009520th Jul 2007 12:12 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Had the same and local dealers were well aware of the problem. Swapped something in the lock.

BP

Post #18010420th Jul 2007 12:22 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I copy the "get out mode" suggested by FMac - my nearside rear door did the same - no warning one day it just started doing it - the switch & handle trick works !

The cure with mine was for my local; garage to repalce the locking mechanism - under warranty so its no an isolated problem.

I dont know how much the parts cost but suggest that its the type of task I would take on when my cars out of warranty & have a go at fixing myself - the downside is that in the event of an accident the passenger wouldnt be able to get out - worrying

Good Luck !
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #18018920th Jul 2007 5:12 pm
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Both my passenger side doors have done the same on separate occasions - dealer replaced both door mechanisms (had to push a bit the first time as it was a 'new' fault to them but the second door they just got on and did it) - they know about it! Just waiting for the offside doors to go the smae way before the warranty expires!
Gilbo

Post #18149824th Jul 2007 4:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >