DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Front bumper mounted camera install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Front bumper mounted camera install

Good afternoon All,

I am looking to mount a front facing camera in the front bumper. I am thinking above the number plate just above the Intercooler air intake gap in the bumper. For a few reasons one to aid in off roading but mainly for SWMBO to aid in parking as I dont have front sensors. Also have a spare camera and input in my screen so why not hey!! Whistle

The camera I have is completely adjustable 360 and mounts flush so it will be a good final finish hopefully.

Questions: has anyone done this? Also when you get cameras as standard where are they mounted (D4s I guess?)

Also what is behind that top section of bumper? Can I do it with the bumper in situation or remove it? Sorry not at home to look at the D3 and just want some advice before I do it in a few weeks Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #150635624th Jul 2015 5:03 pm
marscolony

United Kingdom 

Did you ever do this install @sailorboi ?

I'm looking at adding rear camera first, but also would like a front one and curious if it's easier to do it all in one go, or if there's any thing I need to allow/cater for when doing the rear one.

I haven't even got my D3 yet Rolling with laughter I pick it up this weekend, but already planning...

Post #181332910th May 2017 11:41 am
Ja92mie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

You would need a GVIF unit first Thumbs Up

Post #181333010th May 2017 11:43 am
sailorboi

I have got all the stuff but never got around to actually getting this sorted Rolling with laughter

The front end is coming off when I get a chance so I will run the cabling and fit the camera then. I have an after market screen and system so for me it is just a simple case of running the cable and connecting it up. But as said above I believe if using the standard D3 screen you will need said unit.
Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #181367211th May 2017 1:08 am
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Which camera have you got sailorboi?

Thumbs Up

Post #181369811th May 2017 7:56 am
fino

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have a front camera mounted on in the grille, its fitted on the triangular trim piece and also discreet. I would like to upgrade to a D4 grille but can't see where it would fit without making up a bracket for the front camera.

I have front facing side cameras mounted on the underside of both wing mirrors as well. Very useful for squeezing through tight spots.

All done through the gvif unit. Thumbs Up

Post #181393111th May 2017 7:13 pm
sailorboi

Have you got any pics??? Thumbs Up

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #181403812th May 2017 12:51 am
sailorboi

RBP wrote:
Which camera have you got sailorboi?

Thumbs Up

At the moment I have just got a cheap reversing camera that the lines can be removed on. Not sure yet if I want the lines or not Smile

It is one that can be angled in any direction so I can hopefully get a good over view of the front bumper as I want to use it for parking Thumbs Up

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #181403912th May 2017 12:57 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I did it with a GVIF module, no need to remove bumper, the camera should come with a hole saw to cut correct size hole and camera is simply pushed in, it will fit in the center front with camera pointing max down. Very useful mod I use it almost every day , completely eliminates the front blind spot and field of view is exactly the width of the car.
A reversing camera is no good for the front as they give a mirror image not a true image and lines are not necessary.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #181407012th May 2017 7:46 am
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Do you have a link to the one you used M3DPO Thumbs Up
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #181410612th May 2017 10:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fino

Front camera location & picture

Use this for getting up close as possible, just manage to see the top part of the bumper in the pic.

Near side camera & picture

Off side camera & picture

I first fitted the near side camera and left guide lines there (I have to locate the wires to cut, to get rid of the lines. Very happy with this camera as it does the job of being tilted to get the forward facing position.

The off side camera is more a bodge job as the camera I got from ebay could not physically tilt in position (probably a whole batch of manufacturing defect). I had to take it apart mainly to angle it and shove a load of blu-tac in it to retain the position I wanted. Not perfect but it does the job.

If manoeuvring is still tight, I've angled the cameras so I can still fold the wing mirrors in and still look 'forward' using the cameras.

Quite easy install, hardest part feeding the wiring through the wing mirror itself and only iffy thing was making a small cut through the door wiring rubber housing for the camera wires to get through the inside of the car.

Thumbs Up

Last edited by fino on 12th May 2017 6:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #181423912th May 2017 3:57 pm
Huge Halford

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Fino ..... that looks smart Thumbs Up
Was it easy to get inside the wing mirror and what camera type did you use ??
 Mods:-
Beanie Grill,Side Steps,Colour-coded wheel arches, Door handles and Bumpers,Rear Bumper Exhaust Trim,Remote Start FBH,2014 D4 rear lights,Reversing camera GVIF enabled,D4 Bluetooth Module, Puddle lighted wing mirrors

To do list:-
Waxoyl the Underside. 

Post #181429412th May 2017 6:19 pm
fino

Thanks. Thumbs Up

I know you didn't ask how to........ but it wasn't difficult.

For the wing mirror.
1)Take out the actual mirror & motor behind to give you working space, drill the hole to the underside with supplied hoe saw. Trial fit camera.

2) Drill a hole in side of the wing mirror casing enough to feed the wiring through. You can either go through the triangular casing/ cup or pull this triangular casing out first.

3) Fold the wing mirror casing the opposite way (towards the front) to enable you to pull out the big triangular cup as you'll have to make a slit for the wiring. I did try feeding the wiring up and over the aluminium bracket support but too much hassle.

4) Mark the triangular casing as you need to make a long enough slit to allow the mirror to fold inwards (assuming you have power fold)and not trap the wiring.

5) Get a strong guide wire as you'll have to pull through the camera wiring through the rest of the wing mirror wiring. (fit camera and feed wire in from there through side of wing mirror, through triangular cup and then pull through in-between the existing wiring).

6) Make a hole in one rubber grommets in the door structure (following prior removal of the door card) and feed wire into the door cavity. Do a bit of fishing through the door wiring connector (pull off the rubber ribbed sleeve). Make a small cut in the sleeve to allow the wiring to come out.

7) the wiring is now outside the car, it runs close up where the front edge of the door meets the wing (you'll see it if you open the door) Give it enough tension/ slack so it doesn't get trapped when opening and closing the door.

8.) Near side camera, my wiring runs right to left across top of the engine cover (held with cable ties to the bulkhead). Eventually feeds through the usual big grommet by the steering column. Feed through to the gvif box location.

9) Off side, the same principle but shorter run to the big grommet by the steering column

All my outside wiring is in flexible conduit to protect from rain and engine heat

The side camera is something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Mini-...rkt%3D1%26 can be bit of gamble as one camera I received did not look anything like the picture. I would look for ones that describe its a rear facing camera, but if you cut the white or green wire it can be used a front/ side camera.

Front camera I have is something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Rear-View-Re...SwNnRYlZTP. I can only see the front top edge where I have fitted it, I may try different camera or location to give me wider view. I didn't want to drill into the bumper, the grill was fine for me.

The phono cables will be long enough/ too long but the camera power cable + & - will need to be extended to the gvif box.

I use the cameras for slow tight manoeuvres. Got to keep those eyes on the road for normal driving.....

cheers Thumbs Up

Post #181435112th May 2017 7:46 pm
Huge Halford

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the information Bow down
 Mods:-
Beanie Grill,Side Steps,Colour-coded wheel arches, Door handles and Bumpers,Rear Bumper Exhaust Trim,Remote Start FBH,2014 D4 rear lights,Reversing camera GVIF enabled,D4 Bluetooth Module, Puddle lighted wing mirrors

To do list:-
Waxoyl the Underside. 

Post #181439012th May 2017 8:51 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Andy Foster wrote:
Do you have a link to the one you used M3DPO Thumbs Up

This is the type but not the exact one as mine has been fitted about 3 years and it came with an hole saw.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Waterproof-Mi...SwhQhY1gkV
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #181444512th May 2017 10:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >