Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Turbo Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Turbo Failure

Last week twice in one day I had the engine warning flash up on the dashboard display with no loss of performance. Today as I entered the freeway the message was "all systems shutting down" or similar and there was no engine power. Shocked I restarted and all was OK. When diagnosed at the dealer they said the turbo needs replacing(under warranty thankfully). I have done 50,000km in two and a half years. Anyone else had turbo problems Sad
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Last edited by garryc on 4th Jan 2008 8:57 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23782628th Dec 2007 10:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Ive got the same car as you "2005 tdv6 S"
So far so good , but i have heard of others having
to have the turbo replaced Shocked

Post #23785628th Dec 2007 11:49 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi, I'm up to 53K 2 years, no problems with Turbo

Post #2415087th Jan 2008 12:16 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Any unusual symptoms before going?
Vibration or whine?
There is a noise from the engine area in mine when switching off, sounds like a bearing?
A whine under load at about 2000rpm and vibration.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2417807th Jan 2008 11:26 pm
garryc

caverD3 wrote:
Any unusual symptoms before going?
Vibration or whine?
There is a noise from the engine area in mine when switching off, sounds like a bearing?
A whine under load at about 2000rpm and vibration.

No unusual symptoms at all. The previous week I had the "Engine Fault" message come up but no drop in performance. The morning I was going to the dealer for my SRS problem the engine shut down as I got up to freeway speed(100kph). I stopped and restarted and drove 30km to the dealer with no problem or anything unusual. Confused I remember on my D2 that you could hear the turbo spin down if you listened closely. Whether there is more insulation on the D3 bonnet or the turbo is not as noisy I haven't checked. Will listen when the turbo is replaced.

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #2418488th Jan 2008 3:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Strange, Confused what actually failed one would think there would be some symptoms.
Maybe boost pressure went below a pre-determined level?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2418518th Jan 2008 4:12 am
garryc

caverD3 wrote:
Strange, Confused what actually failed one would think there would be some symptoms.
Maybe boost pressure went below a pre-determined level?

This turbo has variable vanes hence no wastegate. If the ECM senses any problems it sets the turbo to minimum boost. Driving back from the dealer( I should have left the car with them) and accelerating on the freeway one time, there was a very slow response from the motor for about 50 metres but that is the only symptom I have observed. Confused

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #2418898th Jan 2008 9:33 am
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

We had the Turbo go at 2000kms in our 06 Disco.
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #2419078th Jan 2008 10:33 am
DWillerton

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine was replaced a few months ago - mileage at the time was probably in the teens.
According to the dealer, the vanes weren't opening up as they should and the engine went into low-power mode.
The fault only ever occurred when I was towing though - great when you are trying to pull onto roundabouts with a fully-loaded trailer...
Then within a week the replacement needed attention because one of the hoses had come loose.
Been fine ever since.
 Discovery 3 TDV6 5-Seat
Zambesi Silver

Td5 Alive remap, rubber mats, fixed tow bar, disco3.co.uk sticker.

Manual gearbox - steel springs - 17" wheels. No tinted windows, no leather, no terrain response, no foglights, no xenons, no trip computer, no side steps, no mud flaps, no A-frame, no spot lights, no lamp guards, no sat nav, no winch, no roof rack, no RAI, no PDC, no bluetooth, no ipod connectivity, no clear indicators and no bright finish trim. 

Post #2419478th Jan 2008 12:32 pm
garryc

Turbo

DWillerton wrote:
Mine was replaced a few months ago - mileage at the time was probably in the teens.
According to the dealer, the vanes weren't opening up as they should and the engine went into low-power mode.
The fault only ever occurred when I was towing though - great when you are trying to pull onto roundabouts with a fully-loaded trailer...
Then within a week the replacement needed attention because one of the hoses had come loose.
Been fine ever since.

Turbo replaced and "watch spring" as well. Seems OK and no noticeable turbo lag. I had noticed on occasions that there was some lag esp. from standstill. Maybe this was an indication of the turbo problem in its early stages. Very Happy

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #24593816th Jan 2008 8:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >