DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Window has a mind of its own....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Window has a mind of its own....

Anyone had this, when selecting drivers window up, pulling up on switch, (as you do ), window moves up for a bit then starts to go down (with sw still pulled up). Any ideas, just a switch problem, or something more sinister? This has occurred a few times now, but completely randomly, I doubt whether I would be able to demonstrate this at the dealers. ( Hasn't been near a dealers for almost a month, maybe it just feels the need to re visit)........ Laughing

Post #1280606th Feb 2007 7:57 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Maybe it thinks it hits something. I guess mine opens again when it hits something or when I lay my arm on the window when closing. Your window might just feel some resistance for some (strange or real) reason and therefor retract again.

Post #1280716th Feb 2007 8:15 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Mine does exactly this, but it's only happened 4 times in 14 months. It has to be an over-torque on the window raising (believing it's jammed, or something is jammed in it).
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #1280816th Feb 2007 8:56 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine did this, dealer lubricated the window , no probs since. Smile
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1280846th Feb 2007 9:04 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Thanks for your input guys, you are probably right, in that there may be a bit of friction sensed by motor, there is nothing in the path of the window (little finger or arm etc) when it happens, it's occurred about 5 times in the last couple of months, i'm not overly concerned, just wanted other opinions really. Wink

Post #1280876th Feb 2007 9:08 pm
DrtyBlvd

Spain 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Separately but related - I have the window drip protectors fitted, and over 80/85mph, the air pressure differential just will *not* allow the window to complete its' journey - and back down it goes... Razz

Post #1281176th Feb 2007 10:43 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Tight window seals.

Common fault on lots of cars.

Put a bit of washing-up liquid on the window seals. (Ask the missus where she keeps it) Wink
 Back in the game!  
Post #1281486th Feb 2007 11:17 pm
waterman

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I just had this same problem on our first big drive up north. Put the drivers window down at 110 to get rid of a fly and it started behaving erratically - I was pulling switch up to close the window but the window was going up and down like a yoyo. Eventually it got mostly closed but the seal wasn't complete and so there was a lot of wind noise which was annoying. Eventually I slowed down and with a fair bit more fiddling going up and down several times I got it to fully seal again. Will get dealer to check shortly.
 Discovery3 2007 SE V6  
Post #17998220th Jul 2007 3:41 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Not had a problem with the Discovery but once experienced something similar with the Citroen C5 I used to have follwing a windscreen change!

Like the Disco, the C5 had rain sensing wipers and the same system was connected to the window/sun roof motors to shut said items if it began to rain.

As the car had climate control, I never used to drive with the windows open so I never knew if the system worked as advertised until a couple of weeks after the windscreen was changed. I was driving to work when it began to rain big time. Imagine my surprise when, as the wipers switched themselves on, all the windows suddenly opened about half way and I got a right old soaking! Tried to shut them but they would get to the top of their travel and move back down a bit, as though something was trapped in them. Had to turn the wipers off before I could get the windows to close fully, and even then had to do it carefully by 'inching' the windows shut.

If the wipers were turned on manually - no problem. It was just the auto system that was at fault but I didn't dare open a window manually because it was difficult to get it to shut fully if I did. Luckily, rain was a rare event that summer (unlike this one !!!) so I didn't rush to get the car in the dealers which is just as well because after a month or so, the problem mysteriously went away, never to recur! Perhaps your problem will just go away!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #18002520th Jul 2007 8:45 am
SN

I had a problem where a back window went down on its own and I couldn't raise it using the button on the drivers door.

Turned out to be the bl**dy dog had jumped up to look out of the window and put its paw on the down button on the back door which opened the window and because it now had a large breath of fresh air, the dog stayed there with paw pressing on button preventing me from raising it Embarassed Rolling Eyes
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #18004720th Jul 2007 10:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

I've had a similar issue - which can be repeated and demonstrated. Shocked

If the window is on it's way up and the A/C is switched on at the same time, the window comes down again. Shocked

Also, I regularly have to pull the drivers switch up a second time as the first attempt has made no impression on moving the window.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #18005520th Jul 2007 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MX

United Kingdom 

I've got exactly the same problem with my drivers window ...... going to test the JMC observation at lunchtime.......

I love this forum - so many hours of fun Very Happy
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #18006620th Jul 2007 11:17 am
JMC

Scotland 

"It's a FEATURE of the car Sir........ They all do that".............. Big Cry Rolling Eyes
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #18007020th Jul 2007 11:30 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Mine hasn't done this since my post in Feb, must have worn the seals in a bit by now. Although I suppose it may happen again(now I've said this Whistle ), or when weather gets colder and seals become a bit less pliable, and mechanism not so free running.

Post #18007320th Jul 2007 11:35 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Happens to me when I've had it down for a bit a am travelling at high speed .Must be the wind/airflow resistance that fools into thinking its being obstructed ?

Post #18019920th Jul 2007 5:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >