DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Side steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Chas206276

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Side steps

Hi,
Went to test drive disco 4 with family and found even with car suspension lowered before switching off my wee boy ( age 7) couldn't get in unless we lifted him. I have been reading some topics that they rust etc and easily damaged and cutting and difference in quality from eBay. Think at mo I need them as SWMBO not going to lift him in and out every time. Britpart one come up as being good but what about bearmach and the various prices. Who do you reckon is best to purchase from and for customer service in case need to send back which some folk have said. Also worried about side of seat getting burst like on disco 2 getting in and out so what are the best for quality heavy duty seat covers.
Seems even with newer models the same problem for us vertically challenged people.
Many thanks

Post #147984628th May 2015 5:39 am
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This will get moved to mods section but

I've got the Bearmach ones,good steps, well if my 86 yr old MIL can use them I'm sure a fit 7yr old can
No cutting involved, easy to fit. I would also buy another set of the L bolts as seen in the group buys. I think Advanced factors have plenty. The steps are about £100 ish and fitted in about an hour. I can't remember where I got mine a couple of years ago

As for seat covers I have Exmoor trim ones, expensive, about £200. Other folks have recommended Inca ones. I can't comment as I've not used/seen those ones.

Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #147985728th May 2015 7:08 am
Zoso

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

In my experience side steps do rust but I got a new set fitted to my D3 last summer and I sprayed the underside with "ACF50 Anti-Corrosion Protection Rust Prevention Spray" - still look brand new after the winter.

Post #148648612th Jun 2015 9:10 am
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

steps dont rust (they do underneath but its just surface stuff) what does rust is the rivets holding on the silver trim. but they can be easily replaced / re-rivetted when needed

we have the wider steps fitted since manufacture and they do help. especially when camping and trying to get on the top of the car. would seriously miss them if they were not on there

however if you do a lot of serious off-roading then they might not be ideal in this instance
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #148650012th Jun 2015 10:08 am
Chas206276

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Got some oem side steps and SWMBO is happier as she didn't like the chrome side tubes. Had to get new plastic sills as the original one had been cut so will be putting up for sale once I get some more posts. The tubes are in good condition but why does no one put grease or copper grease on bolts to stop them corroding. Not sure how long they been on but worst case is three years as came with car and have landrover sticker in middle but needed to drill out two bolts. Have gave the brackets a wire brush and repainted black. Thank you for advice

Post #14961402nd Jul 2015 8:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >