Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tow Bar Lock - A little bit of expert advice please!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Crackers

England 
Tow Bar Lock - A little bit of expert advice please!

Hi Chaps,

I’m aware of the policy not to divulge details of how the tow bar lock system works on this forum, but I am hoping that someone with the requisite knowledge will be able to help me understand what I need to do with the one that I just bought (legitimately, from another forum member).

Background:

After some cleaning and lubricating, the tow bar works just fine. The locating bolt fires out and locates strongly into the chassis socket. It also retracts and stays retracted in the ‘off car’ position just fine.

Whilst functionally working, the bottom lobe of the green lock handle was not pointing at the 11 o’clock (on car) or 7 o’clock (off car) positions relative to the tow bar - which seem to be the normal orientation. Neither did the lock work.

So, I ordered a replacement lock (part number KNW500020) to match the one on it.

With the old lock removed (which required butchering – but that’s another story), I can now clearly see the red plastic part that is attached to the tow bar.

Questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that two different red plastic parts have been used over the years; one that is of larger diameter with ratchet ‘teeth’, and one which is narrower and more like a plain ‘cup’?

2. Does the larger one match up with handle KNW500020 and the narrower cup-like one with handle KNW500010? (My assumption is that 500010 is for early models and 500020 for later D3s and D4s).

3. Is it possible to buy the red plastic parts?

4. On a properly working locked handle, does the green handle still rotate a fair bit thereby partially withdrawing the large locating bolt, but not enough to fully release it from the chassis socket, or is the handle immoveable?

5. Is the answer to question 4 above same for both variants of handle type (500010 and 500020)?

The reason for asking the last two questions is that it’s not immediately clear how the lock pin actually engages with or against anything…

I have pictures to help the discussion but know it’s not the done-thing to post them here.

If anyone is able to answer the questions or share what they know with me, I will gladly provide my phone number or email address via PM to keep details off-forum.

Thanks in anticipation!

Post #148699813th Jun 2015 11:56 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

sticking my head above the parapet..........think theres a link on here about two types of lock used
over the years...your dealer would know surely

Post #148701213th Jun 2015 12:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Crackers

England 

Thanks galwaygreen.

I am aware that there are two lock types and know their part numbers. These do not include the red plastic items.

Before posting my topic I did search through many posts on here, but none of the ones I've seen answer my specific questions. Hence the request for some help from anyone in the know.

Must be someone out there.... Smile

Post #148774614th Jun 2015 11:14 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If it doesn't fit you have the wrong lock.
I had the same problem when the parts guy forgot to ask (I was oblivious to any differences)
I had to send lock back for a replacement, I don't think there's any other solution sorry Thumbs Up

Post #148777215th Jun 2015 6:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Crackers

England 

Thanks DiscoJake,

I believe the red plastic bit that is attached to my tow bar is damaged, hence why I'm interested in that and the lock-up method (i.e. does the handle still move somewhat) amongst other things...

I am familiar with the two different lock/handle types (which do not come with the red plastic piece).

If anyone out there has specific, detailed knowledge that would answer my specific questions and can spare me 5 mins on the phone, it would be most appreciated Smile

In the meantime, I've ordered a KWN500010 handle to see how that differs in actual set-up.....

Post #148783315th Jun 2015 11:17 am
DiscoJake

Yeah sorry I didn't have answers to your specific questions but I was half asleep this morning and just added my tuppence worth Embarassed .

If nobody else has any input I maybe able to dig my bar out tonight and give some better answers Thumbs Up

Post #148783615th Jun 2015 11:33 am
Crackers

England 

No problem and much appreciated DiscoJake! 8)

Post #148784215th Jun 2015 11:43 am
pimackenzie

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Crackers
I have a tow bar you can compare with yours if that's any help, I live in Farnborough.
Paul.

Post #148786815th Jun 2015 1:04 pm
Crackers

England 

Paul - you are most kind.

It would certainly help if I could get my eye-balls on a working towbar!

I'll send you a PM.... Thumbs Up

Post #148790415th Jun 2015 3:02 pm
nismotec

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

are you on about the green handle when you say you've got a new lock? they come in two diameters. 40mm and 50mm I believe.
the red part is attached to the actual towball and the green bit rotates around this, and the key makes a pin stick out of the green knob and locate against a shaped piece on the red section. it all would probably turn a little bit without unlocking, until the locking pin was up against the shaped bit of the red part. but not enough to disengage the mechanism.

Its difficult to explain without giving away the sacred towball secrets. but as I don't want to annoy admin ill say no more.

hope this helps a bit.
ive completely stripped mine down and rebuilt it, so I know what it all looks like. Thumbs Up

Post #148918317th Jun 2015 11:25 pm
Crackers

England 

All sorted now chaps (with a bit of 'engineering')!

Thanks for the various comments and offers of help. Thumbs Up

I haven't yet discovered whether it is possible to get replacements for the red plastic parts, but asking Thule was a good suggestion from Dan of Duckworths.

If anyone ever finds out the answer to that one, maybe they could update this post accordingly.

Post #148975319th Jun 2015 10:52 am
DiscoJake

Biggest problem is its a very touchy subject on here and any discussion has security implications as they're removable tow bars are often 'removed' by other Rolling Eyes

Then again if you don't leave it on the back of your truck when you're not using it then nobody else can 'borrow' it Wink Whistle

Post #148975719th Jun 2015 11:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >