Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Later model D3 EGR "Blanking"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
SteveH

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Many thanks LFW Bow down
Don't want to take up too much of your time but for when I speak to them do you have a brief summary of the issue of leaving butterfly in V's removal and physical blank? I have said that I had seen a recommendation to remove along with the stub pipe (not sure if same thing) which is usually all coked up and "allows the engine to get more air/breath easier..". He said "makes no difference whatsoever"...? Rolling Eyes

Post #14831134th Jun 2015 10:12 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I don't believe the butterflies are sufficient to prevent airflow when simply left in uncontrolled. If the valve is open/partially open anyway, which it often is when they fail, it does nothing to resolve the problem except to remove the MIL. Thumbs Up

The stub pipes are in the throttle housing. It's not a huge restriction and I wouldn't think removing them would make a great difference (but in theory, yes, there is a difference). They could be cut off if you wanted to remove them but leave the pipes. Wink

For clarity, the other butterfly is the one in the throttle body which closes when the EGR valves open. If the EGR valves are blanked and this closes, you'd get a vacuum which could cause some serious damage. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #14831204th Jun 2015 10:25 am
SteveH

Update:
Had works done yesterday to blank and 'take out' EGr's from software.
To clarify they did remove the butterfly. The method of blanking was to flatten the existing pipes rather than put plates in (im not clear on which 'pipes' - maybe the stubs?).
They did say that there may be the odd spurious 'fault' that pops up - which it did more or less immediately after driving off Exclamation fault code was 409 (something about emissions on the high side) - I have to get this one cleared when im back over there so they can download the fix and clear it; Im told this is a "false fault" as the EGRs no longer exist really but just hope the blanking procedure is adequate..?

Also got some kind of re-map included which does feel a bit sportier I have to say - definite quicker pick up on acceleration Shocked

Post #148652212th Jun 2015 10:16 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

well that makes it a real Censored if you ever need to put it back to std for whatever reason. Cant understand why they didn't just use the flat blanking plates in between the EGR and the pipes?

I also don't understand why you would still get spurious faults if they've software mapped it out properly?

I never had any faults with mine when I did it on Monday
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #148653112th Jun 2015 10:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

As Ian says, something doesn't sound right Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #148653412th Jun 2015 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveH

I do have that feeling that things don't ring quite right..
Surely if they used the correct map-out (is there a specific one that should be used - post 2008 models?) then no faults should show - however the engine management light is shining brightly Sad
As I said it is fault code 409 if anyone knows this one - Im just wondering if it is something that is likely to cause any issues/damage ? Im told not as the EGrs don't exists anymore but the ECU obviously doesn't like it...
Bit P'd off if the pipe flattening is going to cost me large if I ever need to put back to original for the sake of a couple of plates Big Cry Is anything likely to flow through if not a true seal??

Post #148655812th Jun 2015 11:51 am
Lost for Words

Presumably it's this one?:

Quote:
P0409 - Exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit

Quote:
Surely if they used the correct map-out (is there a specific one that should be used - post 2008 models?) then no faults should show - however the engine management light is shining brightly Sad

Sad

There's no set map to be used. It's a case of modifying the existing software and requires great expertise. Clearly it hasn't been done correctly or you would not have the fault and engine MIL. It's actually only a single bit of the software file that needs to be changed to remove the EGRs. Wink

I believe crimping the pipes has certainly been done before and should hopefully be OK, but it's a bit of a messy solution.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #148656412th Jun 2015 12:03 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You have to be careful with some of the so called egr delete maps, as some are offering this service and all they are doing are deleting all the codes, so what you get is no warning at all, if there is a real problem..and at that price like LFW says it sounds to cheap.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #148657312th Jun 2015 12:20 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If its done proper there should be no error's or EML light on..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #148657412th Jun 2015 12:24 pm
Lid

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I had my 2008 D3 remapped a year ago by Mike of Dynachip (lots of good comments on D2 forums, eg here).

I paid £225 for the remap and £25 to deploy a code or command to permanently shut the egrs and diagnostics allegedly confirmed no operation of the egrs afterwards.

I appreciate that yours may well be a different animal due to the dpf thing, but I have been very happy with mine since it was done.

Post #148657912th Jun 2015 12:49 pm
Lost for Words

Lid, no UK spec D3s have DPFs, but with a DPF fitted, EGR blanking is currently impossible all together. Thumbs Up

Post #148659312th Jun 2015 1:32 pm
Beazer

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Lid wrote:
I had my 2008 D3 remapped a year ago by Mike of Dynachip (lots of good comments on D2 forums, eg here).

I paid £225 for the remap and £25 to deploy a code or command to permanently shut the egrs and diagnostics allegedly confirmed no operation of the egrs afterwards.

I appreciate that yours may well be a different animal due to the dpf thing, but I have been very happy with mine since it was done.

Any update on this - is it still working?
I've got the engine light and P140A code on my 2008 D3 so need to find a solution.

Post #170754718th Sep 2016 8:12 am
Ringostarr

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

i have my 2007 model discovery fitted with blanking plates no problem with them. no power loss no limp mode or anything. i do have a engine light on the dash, is it possible to send my ecu away to someone for a remap and egr delete, any help would be great thanks
 Dicovery 3 (Rimini Red)
Toyota lc 150 (Black)
Toyota Hilux Crewcab (Dark Steel)
Toyota lc 120 (Silver) 

Post #170983023rd Sep 2016 10:09 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Problem is, that when the ecu is updated, you're more than likely going to need to do a lift pump reset on the vehicle, so it won't help you really.

I'm coming to Ireland in a few weeks and can do that for you if that helps?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1709833.html#1709833
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #170983123rd Sep 2016 10:21 am
Ringostarr

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Pm sent Thumbs Up
 Dicovery 3 (Rimini Red)
Toyota lc 150 (Black)
Toyota Hilux Crewcab (Dark Steel)
Toyota lc 120 (Silver) 

Post #171101826th Sep 2016 12:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >