Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Feedback through steering wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mattm

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Feedback through steering wheel

Im finding that when driving (especially on rough tracks slowly) I get quite a bit of 'feedback' through the steering wheel. i.e. if I was to let go, it would steer itself into a ditch if I went in a pothole.

Is this 'normal'? Its not like I have to fight it, but I would have though for a big 4x4, it would just cruise on through any unevenness without having to 'tell' me if you get my meaning.

My gf's rav 4 does not seem to feedback the same through the steering wheel and its strating to get a bit annoying.

Its had new front and rear upper wishbones/bushes, new top front balljoint, new ARB bushes and new inner and outter tie rods less than 5k ago.

The shocks I think are on their way out so could be a contributing issue, but its almost like the PAS is not resisting the movement of the wheels caused by terrain than it should. Steering is not unduly heavy.

I do have a lower column which I am thinking of fitting soon. Would a PAS fluid transfusion help?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Post #142815817th Feb 2015 2:01 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

What size tyres? - wide and lower profile don't help.
Did it have four wheel alignment done after the suspension components where fitted?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #142816317th Feb 2015 2:19 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Watching this with interest as have exactly the same issue, rough tracks are a nightmare as it wants to steer all over the shop and feel every bump back through the wheel.

I've had front lower arms and a steering rack changed and full alignment which has made it a bit better but not great.

Only thing left for me is the lower column, I did suggest this before the warranty garage changed the rack but they knew better Whistle

Post #142818817th Feb 2015 3:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I replaced my lower column shaft a few months back, on taking the column off I just could not see any difference between new and old, but the improvement in the steering mainly wandering was unbelievable. I would suggest to anybody thinking of changing the lower shaft to check the torque on the shaft coupling bolts first and lubricate the universal joint at the bottom before changing.
I was really thinking of putting my original back on because I just could not see any signs of wear.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #142820717th Feb 2015 4:08 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'd rather have decent feedback though the steering instead of none any day. That's something I like with the D3. You can literally feel what the tyres are up to.
My last proper 4X4 was Japanese with no feedback whatsoever. Off road it was ok traction wise but you couldn't feel what the wheels were doing.
I know which vehicle I'd rather be in.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #142820917th Feb 2015 4:11 pm
mattm

It had a proper 4 wheel alignment done, and then redone after a few miles of settling in. Its running General Grabbers 18"?? (standard wheel size cant remember if its 18's or 19's).

I get your point Nodge, However I think there is a limit, and it depends on what car Im driving.

I want my D3 to just cruise in and out of work in and float across the 1km of forestry track that I live up.

My 1975 Scimitar however is a different beast and I've always loved the feel you get from older cars.

I'll have a go at replacing the lower column this weekend and report back.

Thanks guys.

Post #142834817th Feb 2015 8:26 pm
Evenw

Norway 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I had mine travelling very quickly and quite hard to either side depending on what was on the one side or the other...abd explanation.....but like "tracky" road, uneven surface etc, had a 4wheel aligment and the wheels was quit off, fixed it, but still moving around. Change tires, and straight as a train.

Post #142911718th Feb 2015 11:42 pm
iand3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I too have this issue. I'd describe it as like being in strong winds all the time, mainly on uneven roads, its pretty good on smooth roads. I was thinking of getting the steering rack changed as its had most other things done, but perhaps its not that after all? I'd love to find the issue and get it right again.

Out of interest, if i swap my wheels to the 18's with michelin tyres. its even worse than the 19's with GGAT's!

Regards
 Current: D3 TDV6 S; GGAT's, DIY 7inch Tablet mount, DIY Reversing Camera, Stage 1 remap, EGR delete

Previous: Freelander TD4, D2 V8, D1 TDI, Series 3 Petrol plus Numerous performance cars! 

Post #144145412th Mar 2015 1:09 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

mattm wrote:

I'll have a go at replacing the lower column this weekend and report back.

Thanks guys.

Did you have a go at changing the column after Matt?

Post #144155712th Mar 2015 4:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mattm

Yes I did.

No help Sad still feedback and play in the rack.

I have replaced all the inner and outter joints, the upper wishbone ushes and ball joints, arb links and arb bushes and still get a bit of knock on bumps.

Garage suggested there is a bit of play in the rack. Would changing oil/grease help?

Post #150546422nd Jul 2015 9:38 pm
cos192000

Romania 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Anybody managed to get it sorted? I have the same problem currently and it's driving me crazy Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad . All shops, LR and indie, are saying everything is in perfect condition with suspension and steering components, alignment has been done by LR, yet the steering wheel moves and shakes with every bump or hole. This has started since I've changed the front lower arms bushings and it seems it got worse when I've switched form Wragler HPs to AT tyres, Toyo Open Country AT plus. One thing I've noticed is that if both wheels are going over the bump at the same time the steering wheel remains straight. Also speed seems too make it better although steering wheel still vibrates.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Post #175277922nd Dec 2016 10:21 pm
mattm

Mine is getting very gradually worse i think.

TBH I think short of a new rack Im not sure what to do. I do know that my shocks are not what they were and really need replacing at some point so Im sure that's a contributing factor.

However your observation interests me. I had both front and rear upper wishbone bushes replaces about 30k ago. I did notice that for about a day the 'feedback' was greatly reduced to almost gone... then it came back to what it was before.

Post #175278322nd Dec 2016 10:39 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

sounds like tires to me. The 18" Nitto Terra Grapplers I had where super smooth over holes on the road. The Cooper Zeons in 19" where horrible. The 19" Alenza's I have now are an in-between. Suspect tires.
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #175278522nd Dec 2016 10:42 pm
mattm

nah,

nothing to do with tyres. Its been the same with the GG AT's and Copper LTZ zeons (which are slightly better, but I think that's to do with the fact that they are bigger and therefore soak up more of the vibration/knock).

Its definitely a suspension/steering thing and worse at slow speed on large bumps/ uneven ground.

I flushed my PS fluid but no better.

Post #175279422nd Dec 2016 11:12 pm
cos192000

Romania 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Changed steering rack (inner tie rods included) less than a month ago based on a recommendation from an indie workshop. Toe alignment redone after that. No change whatsoever. Steering wheel still moves with every bump.
I don't think the shocks are a part of the issue, for me at least. Not directly anyway.

I also don't think the tyres are the main cause. The issue was present with the Wrangler HPs too, which were stock tyres. They seem to be contributing to the issue tough as it did get worse for me since fitting AT tyres which I believe are a bit heavier and harder.

Post #175282723rd Dec 2016 12:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >