DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EAS Air Tank Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Woolmeister

Ukraine 
EAS Air Tank Replacement

Morning,

I'll be replacing my rusty old EAS air tank tomorrow, along with an AMK Compressor (finally).

Anything to consider when doing so? Looks as though My IIDTool has the ability to "Deflate All" or go into "Build Mode" to expel all air from the system before I start. Which one do I choose?

How does the pipe connector work? Does I just insert the pipe and tighten it up?

The current air tank fixing bolts look as though they might shear off when I undo them (small, rusty things). I've been spraying them with penetrating fluid, though.

Any tips welcomed. Thumbs Up

Thanks,

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #140856216th Jan 2015 8:36 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The bolts will be badly corroded, and probably seized. A set of Irwin bolt extractors are almost essential, as are new bolts for refitting.

Old air Union unscrews, remove collet from air pipe. New tank should come with a new union, the pipe just pushes in.

The tabs on the air tank will need bent out of the way to enable you to drop said tank

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #140857516th Jan 2015 9:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Consider giving new tank a few coats of stone chip before fitting. While the old one’s off give floor pan and inside face of the sills the once over for lost/loose under seal and it’s a good time to treat and repaint any areas of corrosion on chassis. Behind the compressor can be particularly bad and a good clean up here it while it's of is worth doing.

Post #140868216th Jan 2015 12:57 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Thanks - I didn't tackle this job today in the end but have prepared the new tank by giving it a few coats of "Simoniz Under Guard", as recommended by Paul at Advanced Factors.

Thanks for the suggestion, Alfa. Thumbs Up

I masked off the Voss connector to prevent any of the black sticky stuff contaminating the union and gave it a few coats throughout the day, allowing it to dry between coats.

Had another look at the old one and managed to loosen all 4 bolts without too much bother. It is Censored rusty and surprised it's not got any holes yet.

So, do I need to "Deflate All" or go into "Build Mode" (in IIDTool) when working on the air tank? I'm assuming there will be a fair amount of pressure released when I undo the existing Voss connector! Shocked

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #140955117th Jan 2015 10:53 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You don't "have" to, but there is up to 18bar of air pressure stored in the tank, so it is good practice to deflate it before working on.it Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #140955717th Jan 2015 11:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Just come in from doing this job. Rolling Eyes

Was slightly awkward mainly due to the genius placement of the Voss connector on the air tank. Rolling Eyes In their wisdom, LR decided it would be more fun to position the Voss connector out of reach rather than near the bottom of the air tank where it would be nice and simple to get a 12mm spanner on it.

All the old bolts came out except one which sheared off. No bother, since the bolts screw into a nut welded onto the air tank mountings anyway. I found it helpful to support the air tank on an axle stand to prevent it dropping down onto my head (it's quite a heavy lump).

As suggested above, I gave the new tank a few coats of Simoniz Under Guard.

The old tank looked pretty Censored to me with rust covering most of it (especially the front end which was flaking off every time I moved it).

It's unclear whether or not the Voss connector needs tightening up any once the pipe is reinserted. For the record, I did give it a couple of turns with the pipe inserted.

The workshop manual states:

LR Workshop Manual wrote:

Installation

1. Install a new Voss connector to the air reservoir.

2. Tighten the new Voss connector to 5 Nm (4 lb.ft).

3. Install the air suspension reservoir.

• Locate the air reservoir to the chassis brackets, fit the bolts and tighten to 23 Nm (17 lb.ft).
    • Fully seat the air line into the Voss connector.
    • Pull on the air line to make sure it is fully installed into the Voss connecter.

4. Using T4, pressurize the air suspension. For additional information, refer to Air Suspension System Depressurize and Pressurize (60.50.38) (Section 204-05 Vehicle Dynamic Suspension)

Another job done. Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #141350824th Jan 2015 1:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >