Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Removeable Towbar Reassambly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MikeO

Scotland 
Removeable Towbar Reassambly

Tried to get my removable towbar installed at the weekend to test a new bike rack and found it had seized up solid. Have had it in bits to clean and lubricate (and lost the Censored little ball bearing that departed at speed). Now having a bit of trouble "reversing" the procedure (ignoring the missing ball bearing for the moment)

I'm sure the towbar "rack" bit (that locks it in the crossmember) used to be happy to sit retracted in the cubby but now it seems to want to "release". I think I may have the "pinion" gear installed incorrectly in relation to the ratchet.

Am I right in saying the lock "lug" on the red plastic bit should be uppermost?

Am I right in saying the green plastic bit should "lock" in both the open and closed positions.

Alternatively, is there a fool-proof way to re-assemble things in the right orientation? Whistle
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #141059019th Jan 2015 7:01 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

A task made all the more difficult by the loss of the detent ball. It helps to lock the bolt back in the open position while you refit the green handle in the proper orientation. Mind you it's not easy to get the ball in position while trying to overcome the strong spring behind the bolt.

With the side cover off the left side you need to get the ball in place and pull the bolt back by turning the lock pinion until the pin on top of the hitch is pushed up indicating that the bolt is locked in the retracted position. Now you can set the lock bar so that it is correctly orientated with the stops on cover on the left and finally refit the handle. Either find the ball or try and obtain one from the likes of a cycle shop, you need it.

The green handle does not do the locking in the open position the detent ball does it.

Last edited by Alphamale on 19th Jan 2015 10:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #141061619th Jan 2015 7:56 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

Many thanks - I ordered some 6mm ball bearings this afternoon based on another thread I found. I've searched the gravel drive, dragged it with magnets, tried one of those cable / nail detectors all to no avail...

Quote:
Now you can set the lock bar so that tit is correctly orientated with the stops on cover on the left

I don't have it in front of me at the moment but will it be obvious which edge to go for - presumably the tension in the bolt spring is pushing out so I should be aiming for the shoulder on the lock bar to rest against the cover stop to restrain it in its open position?

Post #141065119th Jan 2015 8:43 pm
Alphamale

As you look at the cover the left side of the raised portion is the stop for opening and the right the stop for locked. If you have everything set correctly when you knock the pin on top, in, the bolt will shoot out and stop just before the detent ball can fly off again.

Remember when you try to open the lock to take the hook off the car you need to pull the green handle out and complete the opening turn a small amount to pull the bolt fully back (this is a small security feature and if your key lock is operating it can not be turned the last bit to take the hook off) . A light tap down on the hook then releases it and the detent ball holds the bolt open.

Post #141076019th Jan 2015 10:28 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

Many thanks Alphamale. I think I have it all back together correctly. A quick search for images on the internet also helped me orient things the right way.

A 6mm ball bearing seems to be the right size. If anyone ever needs one I have a couple left over. Just drop me a PM.

Post #141210021st Jan 2015 11:31 pm
Alphamale

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up result.

Post #141226522nd Jan 2015 12:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: