Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Anyone tested Cooper Weather-Master WSC Tyres ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
btekcan

Turkey 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Anyone tested Cooper Weather-Master WSC Tyres ?

Hello

I want to buy COOPER 265/60R18 110T WEATHER-MASTER WSC anyone tested before ?

Regards,

Post #140511410th Jan 2015 5:01 pm
btekcan

Turkey 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nobody Big Cry

Post #142783316th Feb 2015 9:26 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I haven't

Post #142783416th Feb 2015 9:27 pm
XXV

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Folks

Thinking of getting these for the beastie........ any of you got them / offer up an opinion.

Ta

Post #172203219th Oct 2016 11:03 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have them. Rate them highly Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #172205720th Oct 2016 3:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
XXV

Full set arriving in the next few days Smile

Post #172248421st Oct 2016 8:19 am
Mr.Pastry

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I am getting a set of WEATHER-MASTER WSC tyres for our little Outlander Phev.
They have had some excellent reviews.
 Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2018.
Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2015 - gone.
Discovery 4 HSE - gone.
Discovery 3 S - gone.
Discovery 3 - gone.
Discovery 1 - gone.
Defender 90 300TDI - gone.
Defender 90 200TDI - gone.
Landrover 90 19J - gone.
Argocat 8x8 - gone.
Argocat 6x6 - gone
RR/LR V8 Hybrid 100" - gone.
Rangerover Classic 3.5 - gone.
Series III 2.25- gone.
Series IIa 3.0V6- gone.
Series I - 80" gone. 

Post #172261521st Oct 2016 1:32 pm
XXV

Got mine from Camskil could not find them cheaper

Post #172263221st Oct 2016 2:22 pm
Mr.Pastry

I found Camskill to be the cheapest too. Followed by Tirendo then 4x4Tyres.
Tread depth looks quite deep.
I reckon the 225/55R18 will be 10.3mm
Discovery 4 HSE - gone.
Discovery 3 S - gone.
Discovery 3 - gone.
Discovery 1 - gone.
Landrover 90 19J - gone.
Argocat 8x8 - gone.
Argocat 6x6 - gone
Series III 2.25- gone.
Series IIa 3.0V6- gone.
Series I - 80" gone. 

Post #172267121st Oct 2016 3:57 pm
alexlr

Romania 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I have used a set of the Cooper Weather Master WSC for one season (last winter) and I consider them the best I have tried so far and I went through a lot of options considering I have owned the Discovery 3 since December of 2004.

A close second would be a set of Nokian Hakkapeliita I had a few years ago. I don't remember the exact model on those but they were one of those stud-less but stud-able Nokians. All other options I tried are significantly worse. All season tires are worse still even though I went with a winter oriented all season from Nokian. The drop in performance from the proper winter tire was big. They were still a lot better than the Goodyear all season tires that came with the car though but that is a low bar to start with.

All these options are much better than using a summer tire during winter of course. If I were to rate their winter performance on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best tire I tried (the Cooper) I would rate the Nokian Hakkapeliita as a close 9 and the Nokian all season as a 5 with the OEM Goodyear as a generous 3 and the summer tires as a generous 1.

To put this in some context I have had extensive experience with driving on mountain roads during the winter with surface conditions that varied from wet asphalt to ice to hard packed snow to slush and to powdery snow drifts. After 12 years of doing this in the Discovery I have come to the conclusion that if you are faced with these conditions on a regular basis during the winter your only option is to look for a proper winter tire and by that I mean a tire with a special rubber compound that stays soft in low temperatures (these days they all seem to use rubber with a high silica content) with many small striations (sipes) for traction on smooth surfaces (ice/hardpack) with a blocky tread pattern that dissipates water well (puddles/slush) and that is doing a good job of self cleaning (wet snow/mud). If you follow there guidelines they will get you aprox. 90% of the way in terms of finding a tire with good winter traction. The specific make and model differences that are not visible (belt construction etc.) will account for the remaining 10%.

You are also well advised to use the tire with the largest sidewall that you can possibly fit since it will give you the option to lower the tire pressure and increase the contact patch when needed. When choosing between a taller tire and a wider tire I personally would take the taller one. Even when choosing between two tires with the same sidewall height but different tread width (for ex 265/65r18 and 285/60r18) I would think twice before going with the wider tire since you can get to a point where a very wide tire can "float" on top of the soft snow and get no traction where a narrower one will cut down to the hard ground beneath. There are no hard rules though, it depends on the surface condition, vehicle weight etc. For ice you would want the widest tire usually and with studs if they are not ilegal.

Another plus for tall tires is that you increase your ground clearance which will help when faced with deep snow. The higher the car sits the less snow it has to "shovel" out of its way to make progress. The less snow it moves the less power it needs to use to move forward. The less power it applies to the road the less traction you will need. When traction is at a premium, the less you need the further you will go.

The specific version I have is the 255/60r19 Weather Master WSC. They are 31 inches in diameter (1 inch taller than stock) with the same tread width as stock. There are no fitment issues of any kind in any situation. I use them on Range Rover Sport 19 inch rims that are 1 inch wider than the original rims for the Discovery (9 inch vs 8 inch). While the tire fits just fine on its own be advised that if you run a wider rim like I do you will have a wide tire sidewall even if the stated tire width is the same as stock (255mm).

This means that the clearance between the inner sidewall and the front suspension A-arm will be reduced. This is a concern only if you wish to use snow-chains and even then only if they use a behind-the-wheel type connection system. Those that use a system that only connects at the front (like the spiders) will not be affected as there is plenty of space between the tire tread and the usual rub spots (front chassis member, rear pinch weld etc.) to run a 255mm 31 inch tire and a set of decent snow chains. But since all respectable snow chains connect at the back you will have to look for ones with a slim profile on the parts that go behind the wheel to avoid rubbing between the chain and the front suspension member.

There are no clearance issues of any kind at the rear wheels with a 255mm 31 inch tire and regular sized snow chains (can't vouch for super-heavy-duty-forestry-equipment type chains - they will probably rub). I ended up modifying my existing set to make it fit past the A arm. Users of 265mm tires on stock wheel sizes (8 inch wide rim) will run into the same issue. To avoid the aggravation I would recommend that you stick with the stock width in terms of rim and tire tread if you wish to use proper chains as the stock clearance is JUST enough. For extra peace of mind and to make sure that you can accommodate any and all types of chains even if installed in a rush with sub-par alignment I would recommend that you go with 235mm tires. Do anything in your power to avoid wheel spacers.

If you find yourself frequently driving in deep snow, going up icy inclines or offroading during the winter I highly recommend using snow chains regardless of what type of tire you have on. The difference is dramatic. The closest comparison I can come up with is like the difference between driving on ice (tires) and driving on gravel (chains). You can still get stuck but it takes quite some doing.

I have been using chains on all 4 wheels and its definitely worth the trouble of mucking about in freezing temperatures to put them on. That is if the road or trail conditions are asking for it. Everybody needs to make that decision for him/herself. My general rule of thumb is that I put them on when the snow is deeper than the car's ground clearance and I still have quite some way to go. It's not usually necessary at that point but it sure makes going a lot easier especially on rugged roads with steep inclines. Once the snow is about wheel height using chains is almost always a must. It's safer too since you can't usually tell if there is ice under the snow beforehand and there is little runoff on mountain roads should you find yourself sliding.

A nice bonus of having snow-chains is that they can help even during the summer if you get stuck in mud. Just throw them in the back when you know you will end up driving over muddy terrain just in case. It sure beats suffering through the use of Mud Terrain tires on the tarmac on the way there.

I think that just about does it ladies and gents. This was a very short primer on winter traction based on my rather significant (if I can say so myself) experience driving up and down mountains for the past 12 years in a Discovery 3. Hope you find it useful!

Post #17276571st Nov 2016 11:45 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

alexlr wrote:
I have used a set of the Cooper Weather Master WSC ...
... This was a very short primer on winter traction based on my rather significant (if I can say so myself) experience driving up and down mountains for the past 12 years in a Discovery 3. Hope you find it useful!

Definitely OT on my part but I feel I must welcome alexlr. That must be the longest first post ever on DISCO3.CO.UK and informative.

BTW, I can't comment too much on snow or driving in icy conditions as we don't have much of either here in my part of Australia. Although it did get down to 4⁰ C during one winter here in Brisbane, Queensland: the 'boing' sounded and I got a hell of a fright...
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #17276791st Nov 2016 12:29 pm
XXV

Alexlr

Thanks so much for your post....very much appreciated!

Got the Coopers Weathermaster wsc fitted the other day....my initial impressions are road holding in the dry and 11oC are they are noticeably different from the Pirelli scorpions that came with the car....changing lane on the motor way was a bit of a surprise....car felt as if it was under steering...first set of winter tyres...seem ok so far once I changed my driving style. I think they look not bad on the car as well. The tread is 12mm......so looking forward to the bad weather coming to really benefit from them.

Post #17281622nd Nov 2016 12:42 pm
Mr.Pastry

Should be getting mine fitted next week. Very Happy
Discovery 4 HSE - gone.
Discovery 3 S - gone.
Discovery 3 - gone.
Discovery 1 - gone.
Landrover 90 19J - gone.
Argocat 8x8 - gone.
Argocat 6x6 - gone
Series III 2.25- gone.