Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

New key programming.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jonboy1968

United Kingdom 
New key programming.

After buying 2009 XS back in Sept, the garage I bought it from agreed to buy a new key as they advertised it with 2 keys at hand over only 1 was present.

They agreed that I should order it from my local dealership and they would reimburse me.

So ordered key from Copley Land Rover Halifax, and booked car in for key to be programmed.

Asked them to also look at switchgear lights out on dash.

Went to pick car up, only to be told that the KVM module in the car will not recognise new key, and only way my new £300 key will work is if I fit a new KVM module at an extra £165.

If I have already paid for key and programming, surely it is Land Rovers responsibility to get the bloody key to work?

Also,their come back for various switchgear light outage. Was to replace the switches. That would be new clock, new ignition button, new light switches, new switches for the off road programmes. Ect Ect. All in all over £500.

Total bill for visit would have been £965 for key, programming, KVM module, and various switches.

You can probably guess my response.

Would be interested in people's opinion on the key and KVM module. Should I pay, should Land Rover sort it?

Post #137438616th Nov 2014 12:46 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

It is rare for a KVM to fail but it can happen; it may be worth seeing if a different type of diagnostic tool had more luck.

I am also suspicious that so many random lights have stopped working without a common mode failure. I'd want to know if the light in a unit would work with power applied before spending money.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #137438916th Nov 2014 12:50 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

My new key for my d4 was quoted at £165.00 + vat + programming about half an hour.
I am sure i read on here a year ago the 2009 models would not accept a new key and Land Rover were replacing the modules under warranty may be worth doing a search.
 D4  
Post #137578218th Nov 2014 10:36 pm
crip010

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm afraid nothing is rare with KVM unit being replaced in this case. My car is a MY10 and the same, got car with one key and in order for that key to be programmed had to also replace. The issue is the new key will never code to the old KVM, in theory nothing is wrong with the old unit it will just not talk to the new key. I took my car in and they had already PRE ordered the KVM unit as they knew it would need one........maybe in a few cases early cars will work but I think not. I just paid it as could not be bothered. Its a software compatibility issue and to be honest they should do if for free!! But they won't!

Post #137582218th Nov 2014 11:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >