DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 3 white smoke!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
[email protected]

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Disco 3 white smoke!

Hi guys, HELP!

Bought a Discovery 3 last week from a second hand car dealer. Plooms of white smoke from both exhausts when i took it to fill up at the nearby petrol station (bout half mile)

stopped the engine immedietly although it had smoked all the way from the dealer although i did'nt notice as i was playing with all the toys inside along with the privacy glass being steamed up!! stopped, put £20 of diesel in and it started without any and drove fine back to the dealer. htere was no loss of power or shuddering and started first turn!

went back to the dealer who told me it had been stood for several weeks and this was a build up of oil from some kind of heater that vents into the exhaust system and burns off as the engine temp get higher whilst driving. I've paid for the car and he assures me he'll remedy the fault

its 2006 2.7 tdv6 with 105000 miles.

should I be concerned as I'm not convinced what the guy is telling me is true although I know these D3's are complex things not like the old 2.5 tdi300 i owned years ago!

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post #137162811th Nov 2014 1:30 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Not sure about the white smoke, but have the belts been changed? It's due them on mileage and age.

Post #137163011th Nov 2014 1:36 pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Check that the cambelt and the oil drive belt have been done. Check to see receipts or invoices. I bought my 2007 D3 2 weeks ago and nearly walked away when the seller wouldn't service the car and do the belts. They phoned me back 3 hours later saying that they would do the belts and service 8) customer is always right Thumbs Up

Post #137163911th Nov 2014 2:14 pm
Jakeboy

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

When I was looking to by my disco, I took mine for a test drive and had a similar experience. It was below zero for several days prior and the car had been sitting out side in the forecourt during this time. Unsurprisingly, the sales guy had started the car an left it idling for an hour or so to get it up to temp and clear the frost. I drove it slowly for about 1/2 mile until I reached a 60 MPH zone, where I gunned it and almost instantly created a massive plume of white smoke. There was no bings, bongs or warning lights and no other symptoms so I continued to drive it and the smoke cleared almost as quickly as it had appeared. I got back and reported it to the sales guy who gave me a blank stare but promised to get it looked at before I purchased it. I did buy it the next week and left with assurances that there was no issue (in writing) and a 3 month warranty, during which time I put it through it's paces and tried to get it to replicate the same white smoke - to no avail. I've had it for almost 2 years now and I only came to the conclusion above aboutthe original saleas guy, after similarly letting the car idle one day whilst parked up on the phone for about 1/2 hour. I drove off and lo and behold, another plume of white smoke. It seems that if left idling long enough and then driven hard, this will happen. No doubt somebody more learned than me will come along with an explanation about why this happens but hopefully it is a common ocurrence and nothing major to worry about? I would also query the belt service being done. Hope this eases your mind a bit Thumbs Up

Post #137165411th Nov 2014 2:52 pm
Stevie D

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Why would you buy a vehicle that's not functioning properly.

When I leave any of my cars for a fortnight (Holidays etc) they don't do anything out of the ordinary - why should they??

Steve Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 HSE - sold
Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon - sold
Mini Cooper Clubman
Discovery 4 XS 

Post #137187011th Nov 2014 9:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jakeboy

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Other than that issue, everything else was in immaculate condition, FDSH and very low miles so with written assurances and a 3 month warranty, I felt it was an acceptable risk to buy her. Not everyones cup of tea, granted, but it is functioning correctly and I've had almost 2 years of permagrin, so I see that as a positive outcome, especially as I negotiated a further discount Very Happy Hopefully the OP will have a similar outcome and share his positive experiences with the forum. Similarly, when away on holidays for a couple of weeks, my cars also behave well and have never presented any issues upon return - although, a nasty rumour emerged from the neighbours that there was an illegal Disco rave in the drive way when I was away this summer! DJ Actevo was headlining and all the diesels were downing 2SO like it was going out of fashion! Car never ran better since! Thumbs Up Fortunatly none of them were idling for too long.

Post #137199112th Nov 2014 12:34 am
jonnybgud

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

The white smoke could be egr coolers leaking, can you smell coolant from the exhaust? if not It could be condensation in the exhaust system burning off, or even bad fuel, maybe check the fuel filter for water, even replace it if it look dated.

Also it's worth sticking some mineral two stroke oil (something like Castrol Actevo 2T) in with your next diesel fill up and get it nice and warm on a long run to help clear its lungs Thumbs Up
 Admin on Facebook Discovery 3 & 4 Ownersgroup

Cambelt, Fuel Pump Belt, Oil Pump & Water pump replaced by Flack

Mods:

D4 Conversion (front & rear)
BAS (Bodsy) remap + EGR Delete
FBH Smart Controller
D4 Screen/Navigation 

Post #137203912th Nov 2014 9:22 am
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Fortunately you have bought from a registered dealer, you have brought the problem to their attention early enough, and they say they will remedy the fault.
But irrespective of the age of the car, and any warranties (or none), you have a 6 months period from purchase to identify problems and get them fixed:

The consumer returns the goods in the first six months from the date of sale and requests a repair or replacement or a partial refund. In that case, the consumer does not have to prove the goods were faulty at the time of sale. It is assumed that they were. If the retailer does not agree, it is for the retailer to prove that the goods were satisfactory at the time of sale. This comes from Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, derived from EU Directive 1999/44/EU which became Clauses 48A to 48F inclusive of the Sale of Goods act in April 2003.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

(But I've never known anyone to actually have used those rights).

Post #137205812th Nov 2014 10:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >