Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Problems x2: Gearbox whine and 'tramlining'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simonej

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Problems x2: Gearbox whine and 'tramlining'

Hi all, I recently bought a 2009 D3 with the manual gearbox from a Land Rover dealer. It's a brilliant car and I love it, apart from a couple of problems.

1. On the motorway in lane 1 (and to some extent lane 2, depending on the state of the road) the car will follow any ruts in the road and 'tramline'. It basically feels like there's a 50knot wind blowing you about and on one occasion actually threw me from lane 1 into lane 2. The wife won't drive it on the motorway and I don't enjoy it particularly.

2. On acceleration, especially when going up a hill and putting the engine under load, there's a whine coming from the gearbox (I think it's the gearbox) between about 1800rpm and 2200rpm. The best way to explain the sound is like a straight cut gearbox, where it briefly makes that whining noise as the revs rise through 2000rpm.

It's been back to Land Rover for both of these and to be fair they've been pretty good about it. They carried out a full four wheel alignment but this hasn't really made any difference. Nothing was done about the whine as apparently these boxes are a bit 'agricultural' and 'they all do that, Sir'.

So, should I send it back again or are these traits that D3s have? I wouldn't say I've been fobbed off by the garage, but I'd say I was gently persuaded that nothing was wrong. The whine I can live with, the tramlining is genuinely dangerous, especially in those 50mph zones where you can be inches from the car next to you.

The tyres are Goodyear Wrangler on the front and brand new Nexens on the rear (not my choice!). I understand tyres can affect tramling so could that be an issue?

Post #136308223rd Oct 2014 4:07 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My D3 tramlined like a good un too until I replaced the inner track rods. Wink
You really need to diagnose the problem yourself if your local dealer is being unhelpful.
Jack up the front and check for play at the 12 Oclock and 6 Oclock positions of the front wheels. This will indicate if there's an issue with the wheel bearings. Next check the 3 and 9 Oclock positions. This indicates any play in the steering components.

My money is on the inner track control arms but you'll need to find out for certain. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #136312723rd Oct 2014 5:39 pm
simonej

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

It had new front lower wishbones (or whatever they're called on these) fitted when I bought it. Presumably that should rule out any suspension components and basically leave it with steering components and tyres?

The thing is, it's under warranty and, presumably, is still covered by the Sale of Goods Act as it's within three months. I was sort of assuming this should be a fault that they should be diagnosing and fixing, rather than me.

Post #136313423rd Oct 2014 5:51 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Goodyear wranglers are notorious for tramlining when they are more than 50% worn, if they are, run the flat of your hand over the circumference of the tread feeling for steps in the tread, if there are any they will be felt in one particular direction, it is these flat spots that may be your problem both with tram-lining and noise.
Simple solution either swap front to back or side to side.
Next simple test for steering wear is with the engine running and stationary hold the steering wheel with one finger and thumb and very gently and lightly wobble the wheel, if the wheel moves more than 5mm without the road wheels moving you have got excessive wear some where in the linkage or lower steering shaft.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #136315423rd Oct 2014 6:53 pm
ROY_H

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

^^^^^ Totally agree !!! Had the same problem on my D2 ( 255/55_18s) until I replaced the Wranglers with Kuhmos at the time then later for GG AG2s. Neither of these tramlined anything like the Wranglers.
 Morris Dancers: Drinkers with A Dance Problem  
Post #136325123rd Oct 2014 9:23 pm
simonej

Thanks guys. That's interesting about the Wranglers, but whenever I've had tramlining issues before it has been tyre related.

My main question is then;

As the car was bought recently, if it's the tyres that are causing it do I push for replacements under warranty or just accept that they're a consumable and it's my problem?

I'd actually quite like some 19" wheels from the newer D4s.....

Post #136327123rd Oct 2014 9:58 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No, take it back and tell he same as you have told us, it may not be the tyres that's the problem.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #136336824th Oct 2014 8:09 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Ideally You need all four tyres the same make and approx tread depth. D3 are very sensitive to mixing tyres and I am pretty sure a set of Pirelli Scorpians (or other suitable D3 tyre) would fix the issue.

Post #136339724th Oct 2014 8:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >