Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

snow chains on d4 (for mud use)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
richard32

snow chains on d4 (for mud use)

Hi,

I know the topic of snow chains has been covered, and I have read all the threads. My question is two-fold. Firstly, there are some new chains that I've not seen covered in the forums - the Thule Easy Fit (Thule CU9-265), which seem to have the best of both worlds - they have full coverage like regular diamond chains, but are easy to fit.

I can't see reference to whether they'll work on the front wheels of a Disco 4 (except for the fact that they are not 'the official' chains). I'm surprised there would be a clearance issue behind the front wheels on this car, but if anyone has any info that would be great.

Secondly, I'm not actually planning on using them for snow use mainly (believe it or not). I sometimes have to recover a boat on a trailer from very muddy sea/river bed, and often find that the road tyres have little to no grip. Even with a 10m recovery strap, the conditions are sometimes bad enough that a friend's defender in mud tyres isn't able to pull the trailer out - so I'm not expecting miracles, but for even moderately bad conditions I'm not sure the Disco factory tyres are up to the job.

Am i right in thinking that any chains could be put on the rear wheels? Given I'm just straight-line tugging in mud, there would be no real steering requirements, so could be fine. Would snow chains on the rears, for road use (in show), be very dangerous?

Finally does anyone have a view on whether swnow chains in the mud will help? I know that it doesn't beat mud tyres, but it may be useful for a bit of extra grip. Easy on/off is essential for this, as it would generally be done once the boat is already stuck and time is of the essence.

thanks for the help with my random request.

Post #137805323rd Nov 2014 3:32 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

I've seen chains used on muddy competition courses. Chains will give you a very high level of traction - better than a mud tyre. But be mindful that they'll also destroy the track very quickly if you start spinning wheels.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #137879125th Nov 2014 2:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
richard32

that's good to know. the mud is actually a low tide sea bed, so no risk of destroying it really, as the tide comes up and over it, and flattens it all out again.

I've seen videos of Disco 4s with conventional front chains on, but that seems to contradict the advice in their own documentation.

Anyone have a view on whether a chain requiring 9mm clearance at the back of the wheel would be safe to use on the front wheels?

thanks

Post #137886525th Nov 2014 10:47 am
jc_uk

United Kingdom 

Konig chains.

Or long rope winch.

Or a tractor ?

Post #137886925th Nov 2014 11:00 am
richard32

yes, tractor is the last resort - but fortunately we have a few of those. That's an hour's drive away though.

something super quick is what will be best, because as the trailer sinks further and further into the mud, quick action will get it out, but waiting 10 minutes to put on chains probably means it is beyond help with a single car.

Post #137887125th Nov 2014 11:05 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Would a winch be more appropriate?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #137887325th Nov 2014 11:09 am
Scarab

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Chains could certainly help however if you are going to be recovering boats from a situation like that I'd say a winch would be much more appropriate.

Ok the outlay is going to be more, but chains covered in mud are really not nice things to handle, they'll need to be washed after every outing to keep them in good condition and a set of chains worthy enough of "regular" use for that sort of thing isn't going to be cheap.

I guess it comes down to what is your time worth?

An hour (or more) each time setting, storing and maintaining the chains, as well as the outlay and no actual guarantee you can get out?

Post #137888125th Nov 2014 11:23 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

What ever option you go for salt and sand/mud are not nice and the combination along with the chains will quickly reck your wheels. Am not sure chains will actually work in this conditions either so would go with winch as others have suggested. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #137892125th Nov 2014 1:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

ive used chains in mud and TBH there are more trouble then they are worth.

they are a nighmare to put on in the mud and take ages - you'll need Heavy duty PEWAG chains @ £350 a set, not the cheaper "small" linked chains

far better to get a winch - as it happens, MRH is selling his at a good price Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #137892225th Nov 2014 1:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: