Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Discoveries ticking..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Beanwood

United Kingdom 
Discoveries ticking..

I've started looking for a D3 recently, and have been struck by the number of adverts where engines are 'ticking'. I've seen several answers on here for what the cause might be, but it could be cheap fix (Fan?), or a disaster....

Are there any words of wisdom that can help me to identify the difference?

I could buy one that sounds 'perfect' with a FSH, and get 10 miles down the road before the bearings spin, so I may as well not discount those with declared noises if they aren't going to be ruinous.

Thoughts please?

Post #218709414th Nov 2020 11:37 pm
buns

United Kingdom 

Not sure if it’s just me but a lot of new people wanting to buy a discovery3 are getting put off by hundreds of different rumours putting them off.
I always remember my Foreman as a young fitter saying to me if in doubt stay out.
Why would you want to walk into a minefield of problems.
The Disco 3 is a fantastic motor a pleasure to own and drive. Sure there are issues but tell me what second hand car hasn’t.
If your going to get one, don’t opt for the cheapest, pay more get a good history and a reasonably clean MOT history decent mileage. a testament to this great car is how many are still on the roads. Buy it get in it and enjoy it, your worrying about things that may never happen

Post #218709914th Nov 2020 11:51 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Keep a look out in the for sale section a members car is usually well looked after, and you can always look back through there posts to see what issues they have had

Post #218712715th Nov 2020 9:02 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

You've been on the forum 4 years and still not taken the plunge? That's being very careful making the decision.

Still some way behind my SWMBO's choosing lights for our bedroom... coming up to 14 years now Laughing

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #218714715th Nov 2020 10:48 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi dean

Hope this finds u well Thumbs Up

Don’t forget , there’s also a brand new decor to go with the new lights Whistle

Post #218714815th Nov 2020 10:54 am
Beanwood

United Kingdom 

buns wrote:
Not sure if it’s just me but a lot of new people wanting to buy a discovery3 are getting put off by hundreds of different rumours putting them off.
I always remember my Foreman as a young fitter saying to me if in doubt stay out.
Why would you want to walk into a minefield of problems.
The Disco 3 is a fantastic motor a pleasure to own and drive. Sure there are issues but tell me what second hand car hasn’t.
If your going to get one, don’t opt for the cheapest, pay more get a good history and a reasonably clean MOT history decent mileage. a testament to this great car is how many are still on the roads. Buy it get in it and enjoy it, your worrying about things that may never happen

Yep - that's me - put off by the horror stories, but trying to find a way through the minefield.
Why would I look at one with a ticking motor? Because at least I know there's a problem there. Even with a FSH it seems these motors can let go with no warning - so discounting one which is cheaper with a declared problem seems to make SOME sort of twisted sense to me, bt only if I can determine it's unlikely terminal.
Absolutely agree about the MOT history - some are very illuminating!

Post #218715915th Nov 2020 11:27 am
Beanwood

United Kingdom 

Hardware wrote:
You've been on the forum 4 years and still not taken the plunge? That's being very careful making the decision.

Still some way behind my SWMBO's choosing lights for our bedroom... coming up to 14 years now Laughing

Yep - sorry about that - I came across a D2 TD5 that was a good price as it needed some work - so bought that instead. Had to agree to get rid of it recently, as I need to get a car SWMBO can drive. So now is the perfect opportunity to go back on my hunt for a well maintained high spec automatic commercial D3 that's been well cared for, and is going for a song Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

OR I could look at something with a minor problem or two that puts others off, and gets me a relative bargain...

OR I could buy one for top of my budget, with a FSH that spins a bearing on the way home, and renders it scrap. Big Cry

Procrastinate - me??

Post #218716015th Nov 2020 11:36 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

as ticking D3/D4 engines are quite hard to diagnose without some spannering first, i would stay away from those engines/motors

exept....., if it is a perfect one otherwise, AND priced such way that if you have to put in 5000 quid (that is the price of buying and transplanting an complete engine or bottom-end/shortblock etc. if you have to hire a lift or mechanic...) it is still relativelly good or managable priced in total..

That is what i did.... (AND that was a good choice, as i needed another engine after 80 mls of driving it...)

if you do not have that budget... there IS a risk... how much? do not know, but i tend to believe 15%, maybe 5 more at age? so 20% ? just a guess...

on forums you read the horror stories, the good stories a lot less.. since they have no problem...

if you are on a fixed budget and want security/peace of mind, buy a Hyundai or like wise... a "grey mouse" as we say here in The Netherlands...

we and nobody can give you peace of mind
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #218717215th Nov 2020 1:05 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would say regardless of car make/model/engine, if the engine is still ticking after oil pressure has built up avoid.

Post #218721715th Nov 2020 4:26 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Mine was ticking for several thousand miles before those cheeky bearing shells rotated and she ticked her last.

Peeps think I’m a tad negative so here’s my positivity: go for it, what’s the worst that can happen? Laughing Laughing

Post #218721915th Nov 2020 4:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >