Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Another thumbs up for Dr Tranny...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Another thumbs up for Dr Tranny...

I know this has been discussed to death here but just for the record...

After 120,000 miles the Disco developed the shudders when towing the tin tent over Easter. Symptoms were shuddering on acceleration under light load 1500-2000 RPM and fluctuating RPM when cruising around 50-60 MPH. Managed to avoid the issue by using a combination of command shift / sport mode. Without the tin-tent then the issue was much less obvious but shudder and fluctuating RPM still there especially when under light load at around 50 MPH, quite easy to induce once I knew it was there !

So today I put a tube of Dr Tranny into the AFT cooler pipe and after a good test drive there is now no sign of any shudder or fluctuating RPM and I have a distinct feeling the shifts are cleaner too. So thumbs up for Dr Tranny !!

The ATF I removed to get the stuff in looks pretty crap though, smells like ATF and doesn't smell burned to me but is pretty brown and horrid so an ATF flush is required I think. Can't imagine this brown stuff is doing the transmission any long term good !!

So my only question is after I get the AFT flushed should I add another tube of this stuff ??

Also anyone know of anyone offering a ATF flush service at a good price within a reasonable drive from Worcester ??

Karl

Post #12779691st May 2014 1:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Comusat

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

+1 for Dr Tranny. Excellent stuff.
You should try this gearbox reset too, here It's probably not a full reset but it does make a difference.

Not to sure about the flush locations close to you though, have a search for site sponser geoff. to see when he's doing another trip around he may be coming to a car park near you Thumbs Up [/url]
 Lee
D3 TDV6 HSE, Bonatti Grey, 7 Seats, Dual Climate, Heated F&R Seats & Screen, Fog's , Auto lights & Wipers, SAT NAV, Harmon Kardon, Cruise, many rattles, occasional leak
D2 3.9 V8 supposed to be Green, was mainly rust. Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #12779731st May 2014 1:27 pm
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just for the record after running with the Dr Tranny fix over the last few months with no returning issues I finally bit the bullet and had the transmission flushed and the pan/filter changed my local dealers yesterday and after a fairly extensive test drive all is still well, could not induce any shuddering in any gear and gear changes appear smoother, although no massive difference as all seemed OK before. So let's hope my shudders were indeed down to degrading ATF...

The question now is should I add another tube of Dr Tranny for good measure? Or maybe if it 'aint broke then leave well alone me thinks Thumbs Up

I shall probably renew the fluid again (not filter) in a year or so depending on mileage for good measure as I intend keeping the D3 until it falls apart.

Karl

Post #13343564th Sep 2014 11:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >