DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help needed on multiple faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Blakey_A

England 
Help needed on multiple faults

Hello All...

Need some help diagnosing what seems to be a snowballing amount of faults..

first started on this Sunday whilst driving home i had the dreaded park brake amber light appear..

at the moment the light is off when the vehicle is first started but after about ten seconds of moving it appears and stays on till the ignition is re-set. (the vehicle has had its clock spring replaced about 6 months ago due to the same fault plus air bag light)

Monday I noticed the loss of reverse lights and sensors....

Tuesday I noticed an intermittent loss of the selected gear indicator in the dash (manual vehicle)

and today i have noticed that when coming up to a junction just before i dip the clutch that there is a judder... at first i thought this may be a sticky brake issue... but on investigation by coasting longer distances that its the engine.. as if the engine is about to stall.. and the battery light appears.. and then it settles down.. again this is an intermittent fault.

everything else seems to be ok for now.. but i dread what is in store for me tomorrow..

has anyone had this before?

any ideas would be great!

Thanks

Adam.

Post #132734020th Aug 2014 5:13 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

You need to recalibrate your XY Sensor Thumbs Up

Stevie B wrote:

1) Find a long straight and quiet section of road.Neutral
2) Select LOW Ratio.Shocked
3) Reverse for about 200 yards or until you get the beep and the R on the dash gear number indicator. And then a tiny bit more for good luck. Stop, then...Neutral
4) Go forwards in 1st until number appears. Clutch pedal must be fully raised each time.Exclamation
5) Then up through the Gears waiting for each of the numbers to appear. Do not skip any gears!Mad
6) Stop at 6th, back into neutral, switch off engine.Confused
7) After a brief rest, I took a couple of minutes just to make sure all the bad ju ju was gone and to have a quick wee as it was just all too exciting.Whistle
8) Restart and select High Ratio and you're on your way..Laughing

I did this and problem fixed. This (wee optional) resets the XY sensor...Wink

And, longer term, it sounds as though your clutch may be wearing out. A slipping clutch causes the amber EPB light to come on and also knocks the XY Sensor out of calibration.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic46472.html

It's a simple fix that will not cost you a penny. 8)

In the meantime, you might want to update your profile so that it reflects your model of D3 correctly.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #132734620th Aug 2014 5:26 pm
Blakey_A

England 

Hi... Thanks for.the reply... I will be trying this on saturday afternoon whilst out on the shoot.. Plenty of land there..

In the mean time i have had a mag tools code reader on the car.. And there are no active fault codes.. Is that normal for this type of fault?

Post #132799421st Aug 2014 9:15 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Potentially, yes.

I've never interrogated any ECUs after running into this problem myself but all the symptoms point to a poorly calibrated XY Sensor. Thumbs Up

If you feel your clutch is slipping then you will continue to experience this problem occasionally until you get the clutch sorted out (new dual-mass flywheel, new clutch plate, new clutch plate cover and new clutch slave cylinder if it were me).

Let us know how you get on after recalibrating the XY Sensor. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #132800721st Aug 2014 9:28 pm
Blakey_A

England 

Just to let you know that the fault has gone... Thankyou for the advise! I must admit i was in a panic mode when that loy apearred...

Only needed to reverse 10yards... Hopefully thats a sign it was only a minor fault...

After re setting i went and cut some trees down... So good day i in all!

Post #132891724th Aug 2014 12:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >