DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

New here. TDV6 or V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
xs2man

United Kingdom 
New here. TDV6 or V8

Hi guys,

New here, and am in the process of doing as much reading up as I can.

I am here because I'm looking for a D3. But cannot decide between the TDV6 or the V8. If going for the V8, I would be going LPG for sure. If going diesel, it would definitely need a remap.

I am not worried about either option, as I have been through many cars that have been remapped, and have previously owned a P38 4.6 V8 with LPG system installed. So I am not worried about either route.

But, reliability of either engine / vehicle could be a swaying factor. For example, a replacement turbo on a TDV6 could run into a lot of money, almost LPG conversion money (so I have heard from scaremongers). So if that's likely to be a weak point in a remapped motor, that has to be considered.

Remap would be a must on the TD though, I drove one earlier today (albeit probably not the best example, but it was local), and it wasn't in any way what could be described as a quick motor (nor would I expect it to be really). But it definitely needs something. Now my RR wasn't a quick motor either to be fair, but it was okay. Either way, 300 BHP is still better than 225 BHP. And with similar fuel costs, I wouldn't be too worried.

Okay, based on 12k per year, the LPG would be around £540 better off than diesel, so 4 years to pay off the conversion. But in smiles per mile, the V8 has to be worth something too. I have based my calcs on 25mpg average for diesel, and 15 mpg average for LPG V8.

Anyway, so how do other running costs compare between the V8 and TDV6, and how does reliability compare between engines?

Last edited by xs2man on 11th Aug 2014 12:15 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13222458th Aug 2014 6:32 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Personally, I don't rate the 4.4 V8. It may claim 300bhp, but it just doesn't feel it...
You are more than welcome to have a go of my TDV6 though... Whistle Thumbs Up

A V8 on gas will cost a similar amount to run as the TDV6

Much less to go wrong on the petrol, and no timing belts to worry about

Suspension/brake/general repair costs will be identical between the engines, as they are exactly the same underneath
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #13222818th Aug 2014 8:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
xs2man

United Kingdom 

Is your motor mapped then? It would be nice to see how a mapped one goes.

I was thinking belts and stuff would fall on the advantage on the V8, same as turbos and stuff.

Can't imagine there would be much error in my fuel calculations basing LPG on 15 mpg average and diesel on 25 mpg, so about £550 per year saved there. Bearing in mind I'm planning on keeping this one for a while.

I am more inclined towards the V8, but obviously the TDV6 is easier to find. Especially up here with these tight Scots...

Post #13223378th Aug 2014 9:06 pm
Disco_Mikey

Mine has a Decat, silicone hoses, huge intercooler, Blanked EGRs, and a custom remap

Running 260bhp now 8)

Generally,mine averages 28mpg without really trying. Driving gently sees the right side of 30mpg, with an all time best of 35mpg
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #13223408th Aug 2014 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
xs2man

United Kingdom 

Oh right. Now that does sound a little more respectable. What sort of costs are involved in getting that done? That has brought the TD back in the game a little then. I was all about the not even trying figures, because I really can't be bothered trying anymore. I do it every day in the beemer, lol, so with this, I can't be hooped.

Where in Scotland are you then? Wouldn't mind seeing what yours is like.

Post #13223668th Aug 2014 10:10 pm
Disco_Mikey

Just along the road, in Dundee. May be out your way on Thursday if you are around

Wasn't particularly cheap, but worth every penny when you scare the little hot hatch in front of you on a nice A road Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #13223758th Aug 2014 10:19 pm
xs2man

United Kingdom 

Aye, should be here on Thursday. Fire me a PM and we can arrange for sometime.

Post #13223918th Aug 2014 11:05 pm
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have had the V8 now for 5 years ( 60 000Klm ). Bought it instead of diesel due to DIY maintenance which is FAAAR easier on the Jag engine and as stated above, no belt drive problems at 105 000. I have found it to be a very smooth unit and so far hasn't missed a beat in all climates except very cold. I find the service to be very easy and would definitely go petrol again. Do not have any experience of LPG conversion though - should be some guys on here who have. Best of luck.
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #13225639th Aug 2014 1:13 pm
Ajp001

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Been running V8 for 3 years and very happy. Compared to my last couple of e-class mercs (250 and 320 diesels) it isn't as quick but it's not far off and has plenty of go and a nice roar! I didn't go for LPG for the same reason I didn't go with diesel... Most of the time it only does town runs so I suspect wouldn't get warm to switch to LPG for much of the runs. Similarly I had trouble with the mercs turbo and egr through never really pushing the engine. V8 doesn't seem to have an issue, and it does go when you put your foot down. Town runs get about 16 mpg but on a motorway it does 23 at about 70mph fairly easily. My average in about 8000 miles a year is 19.5! Can't compare to TDV6 as I have never tried one!
 2016 Landmark
2005 V8 HSE 

Post #13227359th Aug 2014 7:22 pm
Ivan

United Kingdom 

Had my V8 for 3 years now. Had it LPG converted as soon as I got it. I have not noticed any difference when running it on LPG to when running it on Petrol. It has sequential LPG so maybe this does make a difference. It switches to LPG within a kilometer of driving. Mind you have not tried it in an English winter which I suspect may be a bit different to the ones over here.
Had a couple of the coil packs fail on the spark plugs but they were a cheap fix ($120 AUD for a new one). That's the only failure in 3 years. Had the routine compressor problems but that would be the same for a diesel.
As stated earlier it is pretty quick and you can't beat the noise it makes.

Ivan
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #132341210th Aug 2014 11:57 pm
xs2man

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

My preference is probably swinging towards the V8. I had the 4.6 V8 in my old P38 (also running LPG), and I never found this to be particularly quick, but never found it overly expensive to run either with the LPG. I suspect the TD5 would have felt woefully slow by comparison, and would expect a similar experience with the D3's. And with LR not exactly renowned for reliability, I can't help but feel the absence of turbos, belts and other TD related parts can only be easier on the wallet long term.

That said, I am curious as to what DM's 260 BHP motor feels like, as that might just be compromise enough. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any V8's within 250 miles of me.

But, at the end of the day, I am a bit of a petrol head, and currently run 2 diesels and no petrols, so it would be nice to have a V8 in my life again (although my 530d is fantastic). Not too sure I'd want it roaring with a SS exhaust, but a bit of note always goes a long way to keeping the smile on the face.

Post #132341311th Aug 2014 12:14 am
Epic pooh

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I have a 2005 D3 V8, 140kms, lazy touring economy is aprox 11.5L/100km, more usually 13-15L/100km (if towing or driving hard/very fast). I use mine for long distance work, towing and where it is the only one of my cars that can do the job at hand (I have a focus on avoiding short trips in the Disco). Very reliable motor, only issue has been a need to change a few plastic cooling system parts otherwise it's only had oil and plugs. If your D3 is a sort of toy car and you're a petrol head, there is something awesome about having a vehicle like the D3 as a V8. It can put on a surprising turn of speed if you poke it, otherwise it is very happy just ticking over for long distances. The Diesels have more effortless low down torque (good in normal/town driving), but once you put your foot in and want to get a move on the V8 is a fair bit quicker.

Post #132348911th Aug 2014 11:48 am
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You are clearly being thoughtful and thorough about your calculations regarding running costs between the two but surely you have forgotten the largest cost of all which is likely to be depreciation? Its hard to work out what age you are looking at and how many miles you will be putting on it from your post, although you do say you intend to keep it for a reasonable amount of time.

Don't know how old/how many miles it will have on it when you eventually come to sell it but one thing is for sure at lets say 12 years old and 170k miles, in the UK at least, a diesel will still be worth something a V8 will be worth next to nothing.

If you are going to run it into the ground then it doesn't matter, if you plan to sell it at some point then it really does...............

Post #132350511th Aug 2014 12:44 pm
albal

United Kingdom 

I've run a V8 on LPG for over 3 years. With what I know now I would have got a Diesel. However, I do so few miles it's not worth changing - I will either run this one till it rusts out or hope they do a D5 V8 (or move to some other Diesel V8 motor). My vehicle is coming up to be 10 years old it was converted at ~1800 miles. I'm probably going to mention a few things again....

Negative's first

0. you seem to be comparing the two within a few hundred quid, that's a popped tire or two no? Good one, bad one, engine aside will be £1000's of difference in the time you have it
1. The V8 isn't any faster than a sorted oil-burner - and it has much less torque
2. You want to run on LPG, toroid 80 litre tank?, with pressure loss on low is more like 70 litre which is around 150 mile range for town driving and maybe 220 if you are very gentle on the motorway (55mph) - so where is your spare. Buy compressor, TPMS, tyre weld, levers and gas torch.
3. Where are all the LPG stations you will need - I am lucky there is one on a slight detour to work, on the M3 if I go up to Landan and also half way when I run to Somerset. There is also one hidden at the Calor place in Salisbury. I guess that's fine for you as you had LPG before but certainly one to consider - it's not often you get to a petrol station and all the petrol/diesel pumps are out but it happens quite a lot with LPG.
4. LPG takes a little while to warm up, in winter that can be 2-3 miles of driving - burn petrol until you are warm - for me that's more or less my commute
5. Most of the time UK is below 10degC for some or all of the day - you don't get a FBH on the V8. It is a big lump and it takes a good amount of time to warm the cabin. Granted FBH doesn't kick in until 4DegC normally but certainly no option for remote or timed heating on V8.
6. You are meant to get a gas service done - I should get around to that one really.
7. Many garages won't touch it - LPG not covered on their insurance
8. Can't take it on Eurotunnel
9. Less options on insurance, LPG should be a declared modification

Advantages:
1. It doesn't sound like a tractor and is much quieter
2. LPG burns nicely
3. LPG price is stable, it's been between 69.5 and 74.9 p/litre (I don't remember paying more on the motorway !?!?! - hmm maybe I've come to accept that and I'm blinded) for the past 3 years
4. You could add a supercharger - declaring LPG and trying to find the cheapest deal will probably find you with an underwriter that covers tuners mostly.
5. No glowplugs to snap
6. No timing belt issue
7. Open pipes would actually sound good
8. Can be rapidly converted into a fuel-air bomb if so desired

If you are down this way then you are welcome to come play*.

Also Disco reliability is not really about the Engines, it tends to me more general wiring and the sort of things that 3 tonne 4x4's generally suffer from - being used.

Cheers,
Al

Exclusions may apply

Post #132350711th Aug 2014 12:52 pm
Riccarton Disco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

One thing to bear in mind is if big horse power is your need then you can forget conservative fuel figures. My P38 (LPG) on paper had some pretty reasonable economy figures but in reality Big Cry I went V8 for the performance and it was fantastic with a (at the time) state of the art multipoint Lpg system and gave me the equivalent economy of approx' 22mpg. Yep I could get loads more if I was gentle with the right foot but if I'd wanted to drive like that I wouldn't have gone V8.

The TDV6 is a fantastic motor and even in standard trim can hold it's own. The limiting factor of a D3 performance wise (IMO) are the brakes which are borderline for a quick 2.7te car.

I've just upgraded to a TDV8 FFRR which has (on paper) 270 ish horses and brakes to match. Great sound from the V8 despite being an oil burner and no belts to worry about - would this not be a better route going by your requirements (unless 7 seats is a factor ).

Only my observations you understand - not wanting to take anything away from the D3/D4.

Post #132351011th Aug 2014 12:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >