Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sun roof drains- 2005 D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Bobmg

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Sun roof drains- 2005 D3

Thought I would add my three penneth to this topic, I am the new and generally delighted owner of an early 2005 D3 V8 4.4L.
Soon after purchase (and with the car parked facing downhill) a huge amount of water ended up one wet night under the carpet all the way down the car, on both sides and all over the electrics that run underneath the carpet and plastic trim. The headlining behind the sun visors was soaked. I removed the trim pieces on top of the carpets including those on the B posts and pulled the carpet up as far as I could allowing for seat mounts and other carpet connections etc, and tried to let it all dry. There is a huge amount of foam attached to the underside of the carpet which was all waterlogged.
Reading all the posts on this I quickly assumed the problem was blocked sun roof drains. Using an airline rubber nozzle on my compressor into the two forward drain holes in the sun roof tray (accessible once the wind defector has been popped out as previously described) did not clear it- I did the water test and it did not drain away.
Removing the air intake grill on the offside wing (put a tape protected screwdriver under the underside lip of the plastic grill and it will pop off), and then removing the duct and the funny squarish foam piece yielded sight of the end of the off side train tube, which I cut the end off with a craft knife and cleared the debris in the pipe with a vacuum cleaner

I am not clear why this “phillips screwdriver” looking rubber end is needed at all- perhaps to stop reverse water ingress when wading?
I have yet to test it as once again the rain has started (great British Summer!). I am currently using a sports car half cover to stop all rain access to the sun roof. This only goes halfway down the windscreen so will I hope prove it’s the sunroof drains and not any other problem as discussed on here. The carpets are however taking an age to dry out. I am concerned however of a join half way down these pipes? I have yet to try removing the sun visors, headlining at the front and A post trims to access the pipe further. It could therefore be blocked in places other than at its end.
As regards the near side (which I recall from the water test was worse) there is no grill and so I assume that the wheel arch plastic protector has to be removed. Can anyone advise what the procedure is and how difficult it is? Presumably the car’s design is different on this side as there is no air intake.
Thanks and hope

Post #95381512th Jul 2012 4:10 pm
johnnychainsaw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Bob,
I had to do mine last week and like you tried to clear blockage with bike pump method, that didn't work for me either. As I didn't fancy removing wheel arch protector, which does need removing to get to valve, which is in the same place as other side and difficult to get too. I lowered the headliner after removing sun visors etc and disconnected drain tube, then gave it a couple of good blows and it cleared. Didn't take too long to do and carpets are now dry. Might be worth a try Thumbs Up

Post #95401212th Jul 2012 10:56 pm
Bobmg

Hi, yes could try that, only thing is- assume it will block again and the first time that would be known is soaked carpets again! On the off side I cut most of the “valve” off (couldn’t send a photo yesterday as the complex procedure beat me) and will want to do the same on the near side to be certain this won’t recur.
So has anyone done this? Is it a pain in the Censored to remove the liner etc?
Cheers
Bob

Post #95407213th Jul 2012 8:37 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The drain pipe connects onto the sunroof frame in the front corners under the sunblinds, I have known these not to be connected, this may or may not be caused by using a compressor to clear them, simlest way to check if they are clear is simply pour a small amount of water in the sunroof gutter.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #95408913th Jul 2012 9:27 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

ive got some front and rear drain tubes plus the rubber connections to the body if interested.

£10 total Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #95410113th Jul 2012 10:03 am
Bobmg

Thanks guys
Going to remove near side road wheel, wheel arch fender and the liner and have a look soon as I can.
Cheers Bob

Post #95468514th Jul 2012 5:26 pm
stevethedent

United Kingdom 

You will also have to undo the wing mounting bolts and VERY CAREFULLY move the front wing away from the body if you force you will distort the wing.
It is a two man job really, one holding the wing out while the other feels for the end of the pipe. Even when you find the end of the pipe it it a bitch to get both hands in there to cut it.
Read my article on here to see the easier option of puting a wire down the drain to clear it.
once done keep the wire and for peace of mind clear it every few months. It really is a 5 minute job.
I succesfully did borth drains on mine in no time at all.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Post #95488715th Jul 2012 10:56 am
Bobmg

No no that sounds much too extensive- many thanks for the advice. Guess that means you can’t get to the nearside pipe on a UK spec car without moving the wing- now going to try the drop headlining and blow down the pipe option.
Cheers B

Post #95557817th Jul 2012 7:53 am
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did mine without removing the wing - bit of a knuckle scraper but achievable all the same. Smile

Take care when blowing down the pipe - too much pressure and you'll cause the joints to seperate. These are up behind the dash and a real PITA to get to.

Been 'dry' for 18 months now Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #95559517th Jul 2012 8:55 am
stevethedent

United Kingdom 

No need to drop the head lining!
Read my posts. Open the sunroof and curtain wire or bike brake cable down the drain hole with a little grease so the cable slides around the joints. You will know when the pipe clears when your feet get wet!

Post #95560617th Jul 2012 9:32 am
stevethedent

United Kingdom 

Have you sorted this yet Bob?

Post #95723121st Jul 2012 7:46 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I really pity you guys with sunroofs.
I had twin sunroofs on a D1 and they were more trouble than they were worth regarding leaking.
So, so glad the D3 doesn't have them. Razz

Hope you get it sorted. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #95724421st Jul 2012 9:09 am
stevethedent

United Kingdom 

THESE ARE D 3s !!!!!

Post #95736521st Jul 2012 4:34 pm
dick edwards

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 sun roof drains

My Discovery 3 has blocked drains after every winter, yes footwells flooded.

I poke a length of NEW "Shimano" covered outer bicycle brake cable down the drains, follows them easily, some folks suggest curtain wire, then blow down the cable with my compressor, you can hear the s*** coming out also!!. Test with a jug of water and job done.

Works every time!!, (well, has done so far!).

Hope this helps, saves dismantling if so.

Post #131145115th Jul 2014 3:27 pm
ubp_sanity

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I just removed the vent on mine and cut that X valve off, didn't even bother attempting the other side. It seems to have cleared the problem on mine. For all I know the other valve doesn't even need worked on.

So, just give it a try with they easy to access valve cut off, it may be all you need.

Post #131156915th Jul 2014 8:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >