Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Replacing base cd radio with a cd-560 (6 cd with int amp)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dalekit

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Replacing base cd radio with a cd-560 (6 cd with int amp)

Hello,

Does anyone now if a CD-560 has to be enabled in the ccf file.
I bought one, but it doesn't even power up.
Have I bought a duffer, or does it just need enabling?

Cheers

Post #131141315th Jul 2014 1:49 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya dalekit

Unfortunately I expect that few on here might be familiar with a 6CD head unit with Internal amplifier.

However I think i might be able to help you and will do my best as it certainly sounds like you are attempting to do something I always wondered might be possible, and may well provide an easier upgrade for many who wish to upgrade their Base equipment.

To expalin to all for further clarification.

AFAIK on a Disco 3 there are three main configurations.

1) Base
A single CD head unit with built in 4 x 25 Watt amplification and no MOST Bus

2) High Line
A 6 CD Head unit with and external 6 X 50 watt silver amplifier fitted under the drivers seat and has a Most Bus that connects to the Amplifier and any other ICE equipment.

3) Premium
same as 2) but with a black 12 X 50 Watt Logic 7 amplifier in liu of the silver 300 watt item.

A pre 2010 Range Rover Sport also has three main configurations

1) Base
A 6 CD head unit with built in 4 x 25 Watt amplification and a MOST Bus for the screen and other ICE equipment

2) High Line
A 6 CD Head unit with and external 6 X 50 watt silver amplifier fitted under the drivers seat and has a Most Bus that connects to the Amplifier and any other ICE equipment.

3) Premium
same as 2) but with a black 12 X 50 Watt Logic 7 amplifier in liu of the silver 300 watt item.

As the single CD and 6 CD have the same plugs that supply all powers etc, they will / should all power up, but to get audio you have to set the right amp type in the CCF.

You should also note that the D3 Head units have a distinctly different shape to the lower edge of their plastic facias.

This is a Disco 3 one
Click image to enlarge

This is a sport one.
Click image to enlarge

Technically I see no reason why the Base head unit of an RRS cannot be put into a D3 to add 6 CD and a MOST Bus and right now I see no CCF edit being required., especially just to get the head unit to simply power up. Also as the head unit is the MOST Master, an unconnected MOST bus should also not cause the unit to not power up

I know it is the other way around but I once came across a Sport where the Base equipment was swapped for the the High Line and everything power up as it should but there was no sound which was fixed by a CCF edit.

Clearly you are working in unknown areas, and trying something new, and I cannot say for certain, but i do believe that you have a duffer on your hands.

I hope this helps

Colin

Post #131150115th Jul 2014 5:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dalekit

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Cheers Colin,

Thought that may be the case.
A few more pounds down the drain.

Don't tell the wife.

Post #131153715th Jul 2014 7:00 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Not so fast fella.

I am not going to let you off the hook that easily.

I am going to make you an offer you cannot loose with.

Which is, if you send this head unit to me in Cyprus, i will do my best to get it going and i do have some considerable repair experience with audio equipment especially.

If i cannot repair it or get it going i will cover the cost of posting it to me.

If i can get it going, you will cover the cost of shipping both ways and i might even be able to put the right facia on it.

All up to you Thumbs Up

ATB

Colin

Post #131154615th Jul 2014 7:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dalekit

Cheers Colin, I'll find out some shipping prices, then let you know what I want to do.

Thanks.

Post #131192016th Jul 2014 5:37 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

An aside to your issue, but curious about this 6CD player with internal amp - you don't mention it on your options list for either D3 or RRS Colin?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #131192116th Jul 2014 5:42 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

No worries dalekit
You can find quite low cost shipping for this kind of weight and Time is not really a factor.

Do keep a receipt though as i will honor my offer fully.

Item 1) under the pre 2010 RRS listing Martin Thumbs Up

Quote:
A 6 CD head unit with built in 4 x 25 Watt amplification and a MOST Bus for the screen and other ICE equipment

I was pretty stunned when not long after i upgraded my D3 from base spec to High Line / Logic 7 i came across an RRS with a 6 CD changer head unit with a Blue Tooth Phone module but no seperate Amp under the seat. I really had to do a double check and take some pictures that i must still have somewhere Whistle

Being a bit of a D3 ICE officianado the implications immediately dawned on me that this could be the holy grail in providing an easy solution for those D3 owners with Base spec Audio upgrading without having to do massive amounts of re wiring for the speakers.

This was always something i have wanted to follow up to conclusion but have not had the opportunity till now, hence i have made this rather unique offer to dalekit.

Athought there is the subtle plastics difference in the facia, this is the one part of the IHU that LR does sell seperately.

Post #131199216th Jul 2014 8:11 pm
dalekit

Hi Colin,
Can you email me your address please.
Sorting the postage tomorrow.
My email is
dalekitson@btinternet.com

Thanks a lot.

Post #131246117th Jul 2014 8:09 pm
dalekit

Hi Colin,

Happy Birthday for last week.

Just wondering if the CD-Radio had got to you in one piece.

Cheers

Post #13187441st Aug 2014 11:56 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Dalekit

Yep i got this a little earlier in the week.

I have just e-mailed you a detailed report on my initial findings which sadly are not good for this unit.

Following Martins post, expressing curiousity, as well as my own breif encounter of this and recollection being vague, I have also been looking into the LR tech docs about this RRS low line unit to confirm it's existance and figure out why it is not generally that well known about.

I found my answer in that the only mention of this is a one line note in the workshop manual.

Quote:
NOTE: The base level audio system IHU comprises a single disc compact disc (CD) player and an integral amplifier, all other functions of the unit are comparable with the 6 disc unit.

This explains why I recall encountering a sport which appeared to have a regular 6 Disc head unit complete with an IHU but with its own amplifier built in rather than the usual seperate amplifier under the drivers seat.

It also seems that one way or another possibly in software of via the CCF that this seems to have been reduced to supporting only one CD although it is likely the Mecahanism is the same it it may be possible to find a way to ressurect the 6 disc support which i am sure will be good news to base audio RRS owners but also provide an upgrade opportunity for Base Audio D3 owners Whistle

This kinda ressurected my memory a bit, as i do now half remember something like that instead of the 6 discs dots showing up on its screen, it did have only one Disc dot showing which I recall taking a picture of that I should try to find. or maybe ask for help on the RRS forum later.

I will keep everyone posted.

Post #13188341st Aug 2014 4:34 pm
fred2b

A cd-560 is ONE SINGLE cd player, not 6 cd.

6CD-465 is 6 cd player.
 Why Brexit, we love you !  
Post #176357015th Jan 2017 12:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >