Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Concrete on metal sound!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D'arkuk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Concrete on metal sound!

Hi all, bit of an odd one this. I was out at a friends new house this Sunday, to have a nosy and hand over the obligatory potted plant; We decided to nip out and get some lunch and as I have the best car in the world, Thumbs Up was nominated as the driver, so we all pile into the D3 and off we set. Her driveway happens to zig zag and as we reached the end I needed to use full (right hand) lock to access the road, I then heard the most God awful concrete on metal sound, I was doing about three miles per hour, if that, and assumed that I must of hit one of the stone built raised flower beds; I jumped out thinking that I was going to see one or two feet of chewed up door, side tubes or both; however I was gob smacked, nothing could be seen, so I raised the car up and had a good look underneath, again nothing.
I then had to put up with my friend telling/lecturing me on how she had been reading about “these cars” having a lot of problems; I did the responsible thing and explained, yes some of the earlier cars blah, blah, blah; now ironed out blah, blah, blah. As I reached my last (still confused and miffed) blah, we got to the multi story car park in town and I locked the car into access mode and went up the ramp, turned sharp right to pull into a bay and got the same (very loud, concrete on metal) sound, this time accompanied buy a very smug look of satisfaction from my friend, who after seeing the look on my face decided not to press home her point any further. Evil or Very Mad
A bit worried, I drove over to the Stealers today and explained what happened, where it was explained that access height was only for getting in and out of the car only and must not to be used for driving; and that the noise was probably the steering lock hitting the stops. I said to the Stealer that I thought the lock on access height was for things like multi story car parks and would there be any damage, the answer was, no it’s not and properly not, respectively. Confused
What do you think?
 Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest. 

Last edited by D'arkuk on 1st May 2007 9:44 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #15331430th Apr 2007 6:31 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's not enough grease on a thingy.... Do a search for "grease AND steering" and you should find teh solution. Dealer should fix it with a finger full of grease.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #15331530th Apr 2007 6:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic7933.html

It comes up that often this one that it would be good to have it in the Tricks and Tips section methinks ...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #15333730th Apr 2007 7:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Done Steve Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #15334430th Apr 2007 7:40 pm
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Evil or Very Mad I cannot believe your stealer feeds you such drivel about access height. If it was designed for only loading / unloading why can you drive it in access height and then be told if you go too fast to slow down or the suspension will raise.

Think you should have a word with your stealer.
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #15338230th Apr 2007 9:22 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Maybe it's the dealer that needs to RTFM Rolling Eyes

Post #15340430th Apr 2007 9:53 pm
SN

Martin wrote:
Done Steve Smile
Is it? You did the spatula / wheelarch one but not this? Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #15340730th Apr 2007 9:59 pm
D'arkuk

Thank you very much guy’s, I will get my hands dirty later on today, although why the Stealer did not recommend and do this, well what can you say. So (I just want to double check, as this goes directly against what I’ve been told by the Stealer) the consensus of opinion is that, it’s fine to drive in access (locked or not) height and use full lock in situations like multi story car parks and drive ways etc… with out potentially or actually damaging the car?
It has to be said as well, why do I, as a (repeat) Land Rover customer, have 100% more faith in us lot at Disco3.co.uk than I do with almost (I did say almost, there are some notable exceptions) any other Stealer out there? I should have faith in both. Sorry, ignore the rant, I need more coffee.
Post #1535121st May 2007 9:10 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I drive car parks in Access mode locked all the time so you shouldn't have any problem at all. Are you sure you went to a LR dealer for the advice & not a BMW dealer...... Smile
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1535441st May 2007 10:21 am
D'arkuk

Bodsy wrote:
I drive car parks in Access mode locked all the time so you shouldn't have any problem at all.
And all is well on full lock?
Quote:
Are you sure you went to a LR dealer for the advice & not a BMW dealer......

Yes, although I might have done better writing off to the C.B.B.'s channel and asking them. Laughing
Post #1535481st May 2007 10:35 am
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Here is the proof that you can show your mates at Dumbass Dealership. Tell them to RTFM as has been previously suggested.

Quote from the Owners Handbook;
Page 179
Access height
This is 50 mm (2.0 in.) lower than On-road
height. It provides easier entry, exit and loading
of the vehicle.

Page 180
Crawl (locked at Access height)
This mode enables the vehicle to be driven at
low speeds at Access height, to give increased
roof clearance in low car parks, etc.
Crawl can be selected when the vehicle speed
is below 10 km/h (6 mph). When the vehicle is
in Crawl, On-road height will be selected
automatically if the vehicle speed exceeds
40 km/h (24 mph).

Thumbs Up Now go and kick ass!
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #1535491st May 2007 10:36 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

All is well on full lock apart from the grating noise which is due to no grease on the doobry ferkin (see the previous link) Still ahven't got round to buying another tub of grease to do it & yes I know the dealer should do it, but it's a gallon & a half of diesel to get there & back & a tub of grease is only a few £££. Need some for the kids bearings on their bikes anyway.... Confused
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #1535531st May 2007 10:45 am
D'arkuk

Bloody fantastic, one and all; all hail Disco3.co.uk. Bow down I've not played with my doobry ferkin for ages, honest. Mr. Green
Post #1535891st May 2007 12:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >