Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

XM/HD Radio Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
XM/HD Radio Install

So, having to drive around in the middle of nowhere in the Southwest US for work has taken its toll on me. One can only listen to the CDs on hand, and the iPod gets old. So I decided to install XM Satellite Radio in my LR3. It turns out that the retailer I bought the radio from was going out of business, and had killer deals on a bunch of gear. So, for very little money, I also picked up a HD Radio receiver, which is similar to DAB in Europe, but with much better sound.

I undertook the task of installing all the gear last weekend. I decided to place the receiver units in the lower glove box, grabbing power from the unused chill box connector, and routing the audio back to the Aux connector on the rear of the center console.

There are a bunch of pictures in my gallery. Here are some lessons learned:

1) The console bits come off extremely easy, but only after checking GTR to see the order things come out.
2) There is *no* room behind the existing head unit, climate controls, etc. In fact, the antenna cable adapters I had to use are not right-angled like the stock antenna cable, so I have to leave my traditional head unit antenna connection off.

The sound is very, very quiet, part of the dreaded Aux connector's shortfalls. I hope to get some kind of small amplifier to boost up the audio signal.

If anyone has any questions on what I did or how I did it, by all means ask!

This weekend has me installing my Kenwood 2 meter radio, and an small air compressor in the "aux battery" box under the hood. That will all be under another thread.

Post #15309329th Apr 2007 8:31 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Looks good Thumbs Up

I was just wondering what kind of antenna did you use - did you tap into the existing pod (if you've got it that is) and use its antenna, or did you fit new ones? Purely out of interest - no satellite radio here yet. Sad
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #15311729th Apr 2007 9:12 pm
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

bkehoe wrote:
Looks good Thumbs Up

I was just wondering what kind of antenna did you use - did you tap into the existing pod (if you've got it that is) and use its antenna, or did you fit new ones? Purely out of interest - no satellite radio here yet. Sad

My '05 didn't have PTI as an option here in the states, so I don't have an antenna pod on the top.

The antenna I used is a small low-profile magnetic mount that goes out of the driver's door weatherstripping, up the trim panel for the windshield, and aft along the roof until the antenna, which is just next to the roof rack rails and behind the sun roof. I will take a picture for you and post it tonight.

Post #15314129th Apr 2007 11:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >