Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension fault from hell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Pete S2

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension fault from hell

So i would never thought the D3 air suspension can develop fault that will cause me so much headache.
Bought this car with air suspension fault and that was the reason why it was parked for a year and not moving.Apparently it been to the garage twice ,new Chinese compressor fitted ,apparently it was working for a little bit and then failed again .
When I got the car I found new looking compressor with crank snapped so motor would run but obviously nothing happened.
Got 2nd hand Hitachi from eBay ,it would run very lazy till its stop but it would very slowly lift suspension.
So I’m thinking- compressor is clearly tired ,so send it back and I got brand new compressor from Amazon .Plug that in - happy days it runs ,suspension going up and down so move on to removing and stripping EPB module to get the gear box out and replace the gears .Removed that ,next day I have started the car - compressor is not activating Shocked
So I’m thinking,cheap Chinese compressor- so i have got good tested AMK one .It will not run as well .
Now it’s the tricky part ,there is no fault stored in EAS module and when operating switch on the centre console ,the instrument cluster and touch screen both saying suspension is raising so the car thinking it’s doing what is should be doing.
When closing relay manually compressor will run but it’s damping the air through the exhaust as it’s obviously not opening the valve block solenoid (reservoir valve block with pressure sensor swapped with tested good one ,still the same )
I went through all usual wiring failure points,can’t see any issues at all .opened all valve blocks to see inside,no issues.I went through all wiring pin to pin ,all around 0.5 ohms and no short to power ,ground or each other.
Occasionally the compressor will kick in and stop after few seconds.
I have got a suspicion but that’s very rare to go wrong and I don’t want to suggest answer .
What you guys think?Any help appreciate

Post #233996920th Jun 2023 7:22 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

May I ask when u swapped over to the AMK style from an hitachi did u update the software and relay at the same time plse

Alas many of the copy compressors don’t seem to last , enclosed a link to advanced as it’s always best to buy a genuine one to save u the headache

Hitachi and AMK , as a note the AMK are fitted to later models and reported to be better than the hitachi

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/steering--suspension-12-c.asp

Personally bought a Dunlop which is similar to the hitachi , will find the link for u

Along with that what kind of code reader do u have and will it show live data for the suspension plse , indeed important that the suspension software is updated according to which style of compressor u have

So it’s AMK and then hitachi / Dunlop

Plus if I may add plse ensure ur battery is in tip top condition as these vehicles are very power hungry

Hope that helps

Last edited by gstuart on 20th Jun 2023 7:43 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #233997220th Jun 2023 7:34 pm
gstuart

Plus talking about wiring, did u happen to check the connections that are behind the front passenger side wheel arch liner

Enclosed a pic, it’s the blue one on the right that goes to the compressor , but always best to check all of them , also a chart for u showing what the compressor should be producing , does it drop overnight and have u measured the heights , ie, when set to normal ride height measure in MM from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch liner

Hope that helps

Last edited by gstuart on 20th Jun 2023 7:53 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #233997320th Jun 2023 7:38 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Stop messing around with cheap Censored compressors, and 2nd hand stuff

Fit a new, genuine AMK/Hitachi unit and go from there

The air suspension system is very, very basic, made complicated by people who try and cut corners
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #233997420th Jun 2023 7:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

Plus 1 ^^^^^ Thumbs Up

Indeed have seen many buy copy compressors off eBay etc and end up in a world of pain trying to find errors , some adverts very carefully written to give u the impression there genuine

Must confess fitted a Dunlop on mine and fingers crossed has been fine for the last 3 x years

https://www.dls-uk.co.uk/default/discovery...-info.html

Post #233997520th Jun 2023 7:50 pm
Pete S2

gstuart wrote:
Hi

May I ask when u swapped over to the AMK style from an hitachi did u update the software and relay at the same time plse

Alas many of the copy compressors don’t seem to last , enclosed a link to advanced as it’s always best to buy a genuine one to save u the headache

Hitachi and AMK , as a note the AMK are fitted to later models and reported to be better than the hitachi

Personally bought a Dunlop which is similar to the hitachi , will find the link for u

Along with that what kind of code reader do u have and will it show live data for the suspension plse , indeed important that the suspension software is updated according to which style of compressor u have

Plus if I may add plse ensure ur battery is in tip top condition as these vehicles are very power hungry

Hope that helps

Thanks

Post #233997920th Jun 2023 9:09 pm
Pete S2

gstuart wrote:
Hi

Hope that helps

I’m using SDD and BOSCH ESI
Battery is brand new and charging system operating correctly.Software was flashed to AMK and new relay fitted

Post #233998020th Jun 2023 9:13 pm
Pete S2

gstuart wrote:
Plus talking about wiring, did u happen to check the connections that are behind the front passenger side wheel arch liner

Enclosed a pic, it’s the blue one on the right that goes to the compressor , but always best to check all of them , also a chart for u showing what the compressor should be producing , does it drop overnight and have u measured the heights , ie, when set to normal ride height measure in MM from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch liner

Hope that helps

Yes ,all that was inspected for corrosion,usual wire damage ,resistance pin to pin and it’s all good

Post #233998220th Jun 2023 9:16 pm
Pete S2

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Stop messing around with cheap Censored compressors, and 2nd hand stuff

Fit a new, genuine AMK/Hitachi unit and go from there

The air suspension system is very, very basic, made complicated by people who try and cut corners

I do have a genuine AMK fully working compressor on it Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #233998320th Jun 2023 9:18 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You indicate that "car thinks it is doing the right thing". One assumes you do have the doors closed Embarassed
In removing gearbox you may have pulled a connector or trapped a wire.

Post #234028224th Jun 2023 8:56 am
Pete S2

Ok so the suspension is working now and I have learned something.I started to look in to the inhibitors for EAS .Long story short - the EPB module was out of the bracket lying on the chassis .I have put it back to its normal position- suspension is now working perfectly fine as it should.It was disabled from operation due to internal sensor reading/calibration

Post #234041426th Jun 2023 10:06 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes, your longitudinal accelerometer would have been out of whack if the module was not fitted to it's chassis retainer.

But you should have had a fault code to indicate the problem!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #234042926th Jun 2023 1:25 pm
Pete S2

Well ,there was definitely nothing in EAS logged .But I wasn’t looking in to the EPB as I knew that’s next on the list to do .It all make sense now but It was really tricky Laughing

Post #234043726th Jun 2023 2:51 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

When you scan for faults always include "all modules" and check them closely as the system is interconnected and relies on everything else being clear of anomalies. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #234044126th Jun 2023 3:11 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Every days a school day with a Land Rover Laughing
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #234044226th Jun 2023 3:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >