Page 1 of 2 12>
MrH

United Kingdom 
Rear Diff Leaking...

Spotted this on the drive this evening:

On investigation found this Shocked :

Then this

Rear Diff is p Censored ssing out oil where the prop-shaft joins it Big Cry

Don't think I'm going to be popular with Tesco Warranty as they only paid for the Transfer Box Oil seal to be replaced at the beginning of the month Confused

Anyone know how big a job this is? I mean the Transfer Box was a case of remove the box and split it in order to change a £4 seal, is this as big a job or bigger?
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #47201525th May 2009 7:30 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Here's a question for the Techies on here:

On a Basic model without Terrain Response, could a LR locking diff be fitted and wired such that it can be activated manually from a switch on the dash?
Post #47202625th May 2009 7:47 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Same happened to mine & Yeovil sorted it out no problem.

As for the locking diff, there was one for sale £500 a while back. Previously of course we thought it was too much hassle to get it changed, however, with the Blackbos solutions gizmo, it potentially could be possible if you can get the right modules and wiring.

If you lock the rear diff manualy, you just need to be careful that you only lock it when you need it, otherwise it will get it all wound up if driving on the road & result in a bit of a mess Shocked

If you use the modules route though, it should be auto sensing (assuming it enables all the right bits....) Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #47202925th May 2009 7:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrH

United Kingdom 

Agreed, one would need to be careful, but no different to using air-lockers or even like on the old Disco1 & 2s the extra gear lever. Not sure whether the Basic coiler would have the modules etc anyway.

Fortunately, we have Tesco Warranty for our girl, so I'm hoping I won't need to pay for it myself Bow down , but I thought it'd be interesting to hypothesize.
Post #47203725th May 2009 8:00 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Manual locking could confuse the traction control?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47213625th May 2009 11:23 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Good point CaverD Thumbs Up

Bodsy, When you say "same happened to mine" do you mean it happened after a Transfer box repair? Also, how was it fixed, replacement seal or whole Diff - seem to remember someone saying LR are now replacing the whole diff if it's under warranty rather than just the seal?

Seems a bit extreme to replace the whole diff for a leaking seal - unless there's a known issue which LR are getting put right on the the QT - anyone know more?
Post #47218026th May 2009 8:39 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Hi,
The Diff pinion seal is not available as a separate part from Landrover, although the half shaft ones are.
So, as your's is leaking at the pinion it is a exchange diff from Landrover.

Regards
Steve

Post #47229526th May 2009 1:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Even if the seal were available as a separate item, there's no guarantee it would fix the problem. Word is (and Steve will correct me if I have the wrong end of the stick here) that many of the transmission related seal leaks are caused by the coating on the interior of the transmission pack delaminating and contaminating the oil/seals.

LR now have a TSB to check for particulates in the oil and if present, authorise the claim within usual warranty sign-off limits.

Cause? There's some suggestion that thermal shock to the transmission casing, be it the diff, the transfer box or the gear box, causes the interior coating to degrade and delaminate. So fording is bad for your wealth in our rufty, tufty offroad vehicle. Rolling Eyes
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #47229926th May 2009 1:35 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

What's anoying is I can't get down to Yeovil for them to do the work in the forseeable future and last time I mentioned Tesco Warranty to Stratstones of Cheltenham they expected me to stump up the cash first and then claim it back Shocked

Last edited by MrH on 26th May 2009 3:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #47232926th May 2009 3:24 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Stratsones Newport are the same arrangement, they get it all authorized & OKed, we pay and claim back.

Post #47233026th May 2009 3:30 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Just spoke with the Parts Master (TLO for the uninitiated) - he tells me the part is on back order at present anyway and it's probably going to be a while before I can get it fixed, which hopefully gives me chance to clear a space in my calendar 8)
Post #47233526th May 2009 3:44 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Alan, you are right, there seems to be some with internal contamination, but a seal would be cheap to try, once the diff was drained, before complete renewal. The rest of the diff components are fairly robust, so for those out of warranty a seal would be a nice choice, (as opposed to no choice).
As they show diff seal renewal on GTR, I would suspect that they intended to make available, but as you release the pinion bearing loading when you undo the main nut, perhaps they thought that was unwise.

Regards Steve

Post #47234526th May 2009 4:26 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Only thing is that there is no guarantee the contamination won't destroy the new seal. I suspect that why LR have the diffs back - so they can be re-worked i.e. cleaned of contaminants and probably re-sealed to the newer spec. I know this doesn't help out of warranty peeps, but just a thought.
Post #47235226th May 2009 4:43 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

A lot of tranmission components are being replaced with service repair/return items rather than new on warranty, which ties in with that.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #47235526th May 2009 4:45 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

No, don't be fooled by that, alot of service exchange units are actually just brand new ones under the exchange number, I am pretty sure it would be cheaper for land rover to buy a new diff from dana than bother to rebuild them.
If it was my vehicle I would try a new seal, even if there was a chance of a repeat leak, I hate throwing away serviceable components when there is no need.

Regards
Steve

Post #47236026th May 2009 4:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >