Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Shortening the ride height linkage? Discoweb link.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jamo

Australia 

It would be good to know what happens.

I don't know about the sprung D3's, but other vehicles I know of that have had spring lifts or body lifts have started to chew through CV joints like there's no tomorrow. I'ts all a matter of degree.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #15018920th Apr 2007 6:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I thought the reason for the auto lowering was for safety (LR's not necessarily the driver) so folks don't sue them. The D3 is stable at speed in off road height as folks who have found it stuck at that height have found out. One inch extra on a very stable vehicle.
I would not do it to a new vehicle but if it was an old one it may be worth a play.
Is anyone going to keep an eye on the post and let us know how he goes?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #15020120th Apr 2007 7:57 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:

simon_arch1 wrote:
Get off his back.

Who's back? ....the chap who has made the mod isn't even on here Confused .....and if here were, members are entitled to give there opinions and as in this case express their concerns to James who has enquired about the mod. Wink

What he ^ said.
James obviously posted this mod to see what the reaction on here would be, no one has slated anyone, we have just given our opinion. I will have a wager with with who ever wants. I bet this chap changes back to standard ride height within a month (or is dead). The reason for this is. To obtain the extra height the suspension has pumped its self up and increased the pressure so the ride is going to be very uncomfortable. And the fact that suspension travel will now be limited thereby reducing traction. I have driven the Blue Pearl places in standard off road height that the Matzker demo D3 with the suspension set to max was unable to get to. The Matzker D3 had to be winched out I was the next vehicle through and the Blue Pearl drove through effortlessly.

Later that day in super extended mode I shattered a front drive shaft Embarassed
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #15024020th Apr 2007 9:40 am
caverD3

I was wondering what would happen if he put it into super extended with that mod. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #15026020th Apr 2007 10:34 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Thud
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #15027020th Apr 2007 10:44 am
caverD3

Very Happy
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #15027220th Apr 2007 10:52 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Or, stealing your idea here now ND. Although aren't they like this 'down under' anyway? Wink

IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #15029920th Apr 2007 12:03 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Of course they're entitled to their opinions - ummm - as am I??? IMHO, the person who isn't represented here, hadn't in fact done anything too serious - and it had been done by an LR mechanic, so, well - just ... my opinion Smile

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #15059421st Apr 2007 12:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Though I do like the idea that the D3 has so much extra grip "down-under", that we can can cope with driving upside-down on the bottom of the world...

Wink
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #15059821st Apr 2007 12:20 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If it has been done by a LR technician, are LR or the dealer he works for assuming responsibility for the mods? I doubt it - more likely the LR tech has done it outside of his work time or without the service managers knowledge...

Post #15059921st Apr 2007 12:21 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

simon_arch1 wrote:
Of course they're entitled to their opinions - ummm - as am I??? ........ so, well - just ... my opinion Smile

cheers,

Simon

...of course you are entitled...that is why I wasn't asking you to get off 'their' backs, you did however and therefore indicated that you wanted people to refrain from giving comment Razz I didn't ask you to refrain from doing anything ...did I?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #15064421st Apr 2007 9:49 am
opodden

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I think that being able to manually raise the suspension into super extended mode would be a very helpful modification. Sometimes you need more ride height to avoid scraping on stones etc. Other times you need a lot of flex in order to maintain traction. I was under the impression that the Matzker Selective Control suspension system didn't become firmer in offroad mode (based on a test I read in a Land Rover magazine)? I would like to hear from people with personal experience or observations.

Lifting the vehicle 25-30 millimetres isn't going to wreck the CV joints unless you drive in offroad mode all the time. And I certainly don't think it's going to make the vehicle significantly more unsafe. Using common sense and a little caution will easily compensate for the negative consequences like higher CoG. So, don't go fast in extended mode. If sidehilling, lower the vehicle.

Post #15099722nd Apr 2007 10:15 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

25-30mm will put approximately another 10 - 12 degrees on the CV joints... the issue isn't speed but torque and steering angle, torque is normally about 25% to each wheel, should TC or DSC kick in, then torque seen at some of the wheels can be up to 40%- 50%, combine this with an acute steering angle and it's goodbye to those ball-bearings Rolling Eyes Torque is at it's greatest in low ratio and low gears, 1st gear in high ratio is roughly the same as 3rd gear in low ratio, so the application of torque is roughly 3 times as much in 1st gear low ratio as first gear high ratio, high torque application can also induce wheel slip with the potential consequence of excessive loading should a wheel suddenly regain grip, the turning moments and dynamics of the drivetrain can mean that this translates into something letting go Confused
you are of course correct that 'common sense' would need to be applied in the use of this modification, unfortunately, a full wallet and an eagerness to empty it does nor imply common sense is present or adhered to Rolling Eyes

Post #15101022nd Apr 2007 10:33 pm
henkreyn

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The matzker system is a much better solution, it is an electronic box that changes the values from the ride height sensor given to the computer that controls the height of the vehicle. With a switch you can, in Off Road Height, get an extra height of 26mm, and in Normal mode, you can lower it an 23 mm extra.
 TDV6 HSE Stornaway Grey, black interior  
Post #15114323rd Apr 2007 9:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >