Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Electrics fault after cold starts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
imck

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Electrics fault after cold starts

My car has developed what at the moment is no more than a irritation, but I'd like to know if it's an indication of something more serious, or any clues about what the reason could be..

Its a Jan '06 TDV6, around 75000 miles. On cold starts or restarts after short journeys the car starts fine, but for the first few minutes the radio stutters - cuts in and out - and occasionally the ABS warning light flashes. After that the car is fine.

It had a new alternator and battery before xmas - in fact this has only started happening since then. The old battery went completely flat before the alternator was switched. I've tried charging the new battery which seemed to be about 80% charged anyway.

I had the faults read today - showing a message about an EGR fault only - can't see how that would relate.

Any Ideas?

Post #125090910th Mar 2014 8:29 pm
Valhalla

Scotland 

Have you got any measurements with a multimeter across the battery when the engine is first started? It would be worth checking that the alternator is doing its job for the first few minutes. This is the time where the glowplugs are still active, amongst many other things, so if the alternator output is capped, then you might be suffering low'ish voltages. You should be seeing a min of 13.6v across the terminals after a cold start.

Were the battery / alternator replacements of LR Genuine Part supply, or are they aftermarket? The battery needs to be fairly close to the original, although there are several good makes. Thumbs Up

Post #125105611th Mar 2014 2:29 am
Janos

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quite the same happens to mine... Only below -5 *C after cold start, during the first mile transmission fault is shown, after hdc fault. Stoppong the car and re-starting it fixes the problem. And it occurs only 1 time and just in low temperatures.
The battery is OK, a made a load test on it..

Post #125106111th Mar 2014 6:54 am
Allan_T

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have a Ring RBA3 that plugs into the 12V aux socket and allows you to monitor the system voltage from inside the cabin - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RB...B001VC4PVG

GAP IID Pro Multi Vehicle Defender L316 2007-2015 - Discovery 3 - Discovery 4 - Discovery Sport L550 - Freelander 2 - Range Rover Evoque L538 - Range Rover L322 - Range Rover L405 - Range Rover Sport L320 - Range Rover Sport L494
Electrical Fault Diagnostics

Post #125109211th Mar 2014 9:19 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

What alternator was fitted? There are reports of the cheap Chinese (RCX) alternators doing this, plus some LR refurbed units recently.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #125109711th Mar 2014 9:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
imck

I had the alternator fitted by my local independent, sourced through a LR dealer at £245 (for the alternator itself) so I assume it's a brand new LR unit. I'll get hold of one of those Ring voltmeters and see what it tells me...

Post #125114911th Mar 2014 11:21 am
imck

I've not been able to read the voltage yet, but I have had another look at my invoice for the alternator...
Looks like it was an exchange unit, part no LR008861.

Martin, you were saying that this is a known problem with the refurbished units - what should I look for when I check the voltage, and is it fair of me to expect the independent garage to replace the alternator free of charge?

Thanks

Ian

Post #125164012th Mar 2014 9:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >