Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help! I'm stuck on rear belt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Help! I'm stuck on rear belt

I am following Disco Mikey's post (http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic53674.html) to do the belts , front cam belt no problem , the rear i just can't get the cover out. It is all unclipped but not enough clearance , left , right , up down to get it out through the tiny hole. Any tips and tricks above what the thread says to remove . Im stuck Sad

On a plus side , I've done pollen filter,air filter , fuel filter and front cam belt and rollers and oil and change so not all a disaster but the rear belt has stopped me in my tracks Sad

Any tips or other threads to read greatly appreciated.

Post #124111122nd Feb 2014 7:02 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Yes it can be a bit difficult to get out. I just had to fiddle and it does come out. It does help to get into the right position. Rolling with laughter
Click image to enlarge

Post #124112822nd Feb 2014 7:24 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Yep, that's the best position, with some padding on the front grill edge if you value certain parts Mr. Green

It does come out, (and go back in), its just Censored Censored Censored fiddly to do, and jams up easily, I seem to remember you need to work it over slightly to the nearside, and lift upwards in a sort of curved movement as if rotating

Did you move the rear cross over metal water pipe out of the way as this helps gain a little room Whistle

Also a small mirror, the type shmbo uses for her face paint and a nice bright small torch helps

I've done 4 now, but I'll admit they are a real Censored git to do, it does help if you have small/thin fingers, or know someone how has Rolling Eyes
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #124113522nd Feb 2014 7:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cmyers_uk

Thanks Guys , i ve laid across the engine, crushed nuts , scratch hands , I've got the marks to prove I've had a go. just couldn't get it out. I did remove the cross over water pipe , just wondered if i was missing something . Seems i just lacked stamina Smile I shall try again tomorrow at 1st light .

Post #124114822nd Feb 2014 7:44 pm
disco_steve

Possibly, it took me over an hour to get the Censored cover out, the another hour to change the belt and replace the cover, and yep, no knuckles and crushed nuts are par for the job, but a nice big grin at winning in the end, and saving £££££'s over a garage doing it

previous vehicles:
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #124116222nd Feb 2014 7:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

disco_steve

Yours has more room than a MY2007, they are a lot tighter packed and the cover is different, its also held on by metal clips and not the plastic ones like on yours..

cmyers_uk

Make sure you move the injector main loom out of the way enough and also the two nuts that hold it in place need to be 1 removed and the other one just slackened off enough to move it back.
You then have to move the top back and up and towards the drivers side then pull the other end up and out..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #124117022nd Feb 2014 8:02 pm
disco_steve

flack

oops, didn't spot the 07MY Embarassed

cmyers_uk

sorry for misleading info, mines a 06MY, didn't appreciated yours is tighter on space, good luck then, as my 'spacious underbonnet' is Censored tight

previous vehicles:
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #124117522nd Feb 2014 8:09 pm
cmyers_uk

Thanks Guys , yes mine is 07 had metal clips . Flak thats brilliant as i am sure i was missing something

"Make sure you move the injector main loom out of the way enough and also the two nuts that hold it in place need to be 1 removed and the other one just slackened off enough to move it back.
You then have to move the top back and up and towards the drivers side then pull the other end up and out.. "

The next question is by any chance does anybody have a pic showing what the injector main loom is / the two nuts that need undoing Smile I appreciate I am a complete novice and probably shouldn't be doing it as i don't know what it is but always was over confident Smile

thanks for the help really is appreciated!

Post #124119122nd Feb 2014 8:22 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The 07's can be a right Censored

It would seem the trick is to move the top edge back by about an inch, lift the whole cover upwards to release the bottom pegs, push backwards and lower it down. Seems to work most of the time
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #124119222nd Feb 2014 8:22 pm
Flack

If you look at the rear top of the engine there is a big loom that goes to each bank of injectors, this is the main loom, in the center at the back of the engine you will see a 10mm nut slacken this one off, then move left to the drivers side you will see a metal fuel pipe and a round plastic breather type housing, the other 10mm nut is located down in between these two items, this nut needs to be removed and this will then allow you to move the main harness back out of the way giving more access to the cover plate.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #124121122nd Feb 2014 8:37 pm
cmyers_uk

really appreciate it flack ! thanks , ill will try tomorrow when its light and post pics for others. Thanks again I had come to the conclusion it was impossible without moving something else!

Cheers
Chris

Post #124121622nd Feb 2014 8:42 pm
cmyers_uk

thx disco mikey. I feel now after a whisky and the posts from all ready for tomorrow! and attempt no 2. Everything else went so well .

Post #124121722nd Feb 2014 8:45 pm
cmyers_uk

ok the rear cover is out now on to the belt thx! any tips , do you put the belt on 1st then the tensioner , fit the tensioner 1st then the belt? or somehow do it all together I am really struggling with this Sad any tips gratefully received

Post #124158123rd Feb 2014 2:20 pm
Flack

Fit the tensioner first then the belt, put it around the camshaft first then thread it on to the high pressure fuel pump, then on to the tensioner easy lol..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #124161023rd Feb 2014 3:03 pm
cmyers_uk

Tis done Smile Thumbs Up thank you!

Post #124161823rd Feb 2014 3:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >